Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the statue of General Lee?
Take it down and destroy it! 25 11.16%
Take it down and donate to the Confederancy or Other Civil War Museum. 41 18.30%
Don't take it down, it's a part of the history of New Orleans. 123 54.91%
Don't take it down, I support who General Lee was. 35 15.63%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:18 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
They wore Kevlar jackets and masks.

Tell me that ain't shady.
Either way, it's a start.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Well one of the contractors had his Lamborghini torched a year or two ago.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:25 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well one of the contractors had his Lamborghini torched a year or two ago.
Shows the lengths some people will go through. Honoring the Confederacy. I am sure happy one of those monuments are coming down.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:18 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default It would have been a very different World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Southwest, Great posts in this thread..
One point of contention,.. what leads you to believe the Old South found Jews unacceptable (?)
My study of history leads me to believe, the American South (in relative terms of the Western World), was very hospitable to Jews. Charleston, Richmond VA etc.
I'd also submit that in the 1860s, the Confederacy had the most politically powerful Jew in the US (Judah Benjamin).
Related to Confederate Jewry, Richmond's Hebrew Cemetery (containing Jewish-Confederate graves) is reported as the only Jewish military cemetery outside of Israel.
(peace)
Thanks. Yep, & I thought I read somewhere that Pres. Lincoln's Cabinet also had @ least one Jew - can't find the source, though. Yah, there were Jewish communities in the South - I don't know if they're still around. Yah, surprising about CSA Benjamin - AG? I probably went too fast, & projected the Klan's antipathies back in time. Or maybe not -

But note Don't know much about the Civil War, Kenneth Davis, c1996, Perennial, on the subject:

"Appointed attorney general in the Confederate Cabinet, Benjamin was considered the most brilliant of the men surrounding Jefferson Davis. Although he married a Catholic and his child was raised as a Catholic, he was also mistrusted and hated by many in the Confederacy because he was a Jew. He would be doubly hated in the Union because he was a Confederate Jew. Some of the wartime attacks on Benjamin were virulently anti-Semitic, neither an unusual nor controversial sentiment in mid-nineteenth-century America." - p. 145

Was the US hospitable to Jews then? Maybe by comparison to most of Europe - I think FDR considered opening the borders to people trying to flee Nazi Germany - but there wasn't the political will, & he was scrambling to get the US ready for the war. (& the Great Depression was on, there were economic & workforce reasons against it.) Pity, though - think where we'd be in STEM now if we'd simply taken in all the communities that were trying desperately to get out of Europe.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:41 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Back on point, the real issue is that Blacks (& Catholics & Hispanics & Jews & lots of other groups that the old South would presumably find unacceptable) also walk past those monuments to an era that grasped @ glory & found defeat instead.
Charleston had the largest Jewish population in the United States at the time and many were heavily invested in slavery and the Confederacy. Judah P. Benjamin was Secretary of State of the CSA. Estimates range up to 10,000 Jews in the Confederate Army including a fair number as officers (General Abraham Myers for one).

There were a large number of Hispanics/Mexicans in Texas (Col. Santos Benavides, Col. Ambrosio Gonzales and Col. Leonidas Martin as officers) plus Cubans and Spanish Floridians who fought for the CSA. There was even Loreta Janeta Velaquez (Cuban-American) who disguised herself as a man to fight for them. They were of course predominantly Catholic as were most of the people of New Orleans and Southern Louisiana.

Basically, don't assume those who fought for and/or supported the Confederacy were all the same.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:20 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,819 times
I get the history and all of the reasons it's not about slavery, but can you put yourself in a black person's shoes and come up with any reason why these statues should stay? This is the majority of our city. Our city is great because of the people here. Take them down and let it go. I'm not liberal or black, but I don't understand the fuss. There are plenty of Southern cities where this will never happen, I've lived in a few. You can still get your Confederate history there. I've never seen New Orleans as that type of city anyhow.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default Curioser & curioser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Charleston had the largest Jewish population in the United States at the time and many were heavily invested in slavery and the Confederacy. Judah P. Benjamin was Secretary of State of the CSA. Estimates range up to 10,000 Jews in the Confederate Army including a fair number as officers (General Abraham Myers for one).

There were a large number of Hispanics/Mexicans in Texas (Col. Santos Benavides, Col. Ambrosio Gonzales and Col. Leonidas Martin as officers) plus Cubans and Spanish Floridians who fought for the CSA. There was even Loreta Janeta Velaquez (Cuban-American) who disguised herself as a man to fight for them. They were of course predominantly Catholic as were most of the people of New Orleans and Southern Louisiana.

Basically, don't assume those who fought for and/or supported the Confederacy were all the same.
Good catch. I stopped too soon, Benjamin was the AG in the CSA Cabinet for a time, then to Sect. of State. Yes, I've never looked closely @ the various ethnicities' & nationalities' participation in the CSA. I need to revisit that & read some more. Yah, the Hispanic question is interesting - I thought Spain especially offered sanctuary to slaves, in FL beginning in 1623. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver...panish_Florida)
Spain ended slavery formally throughout its empire in Oct. 1820.

By the old South, I'm particularly referring to plantation society, which dominated all the political, government, law enforcement, military, educational, newspaper, university & church institutions in the South & thus in the CSA. I think their control was too complete - TMK, people with different ideas - whether crop diversification, setting up banking, manufacturing, improving general educational levels, public infrastructure (canals, roads, railroads, shipping) - simply weren't welcome.

The South was very dependent on the North for food for the slaves, financing & insurance, manufactured goods, cannon, railroad engines & cars, the mechanical arts in general. I think there were some very bright people & companies in the CSA - the iron & steelworks outfit that did most of the armor cladding for the ironclads - Tredegar? - for instance. But they were limited by having to manufacture a lot of their own inputs, instead of being able to order feedstock @ good quality @ reasonable rates, & have the material delivered.

By the time the war gets truly under way, & everyone realizes it's going to be a long grinding war of attrition, it's much too late to be trying to build the industrial infrastructure & combines & vertical integration needed to produce everything that was needed, from uniforms to field rations to gunpowder, cannon, rails, ships of all kinds, & on & on. Then there was transporting men & horses & supplies, warehousing surplus against need - the war for the CSA was an endless logistical nightmare.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:43 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
but I don't understand the fuss..
Norb, I think this article does a good job explaining the perilous significance of removing a culture's symbols..

https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/b...ave-no-future/

peace ~

Old 04-26-2017, 07:59 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Norb, I think this article does a good job explaining the perilous significance of removing a culture's symbols..

https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/b...ave-no-future/

peace ~
Thanks for the link.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:18 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
This is the inscription on the Liberty Place monument that was removed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans