Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 12:31 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Born and raised in NJ, great grand father was a Union soldier, the removal of the monuments trouble me. You can not rewrite history by removing monuments.
IMO...Gen Lee was an honorable man who followed his conscience. He helped the US win The Mexican/American war and did much after the Civil War to facilitate the healing process between the North and South,but all that is forgotten by some and leave him tainted by his service in the Confederacy.

In addition by an act of congress all Confederate veterans were given US veteran status, so desecrating, removal is desecrating, removal of a US veteran monument.

Just my two cents...
I look at the facts, and the Constitution. Lee swore an oath to protect the USA and the Constitution. He sided with the Confederacy, an enemy combatant. According to the Constitution, when at war and you side with the enemy combatant, that is treason, period. Lee is a traitor to the USA. I say he got off very light. The only reason he could in "the healing process" is because he got a slap on the wrist. Under any other circumstance, he would have been charged with treason, and at the very least, incarcerated for life, possibly executed.

And considering what the Confederate cause was about, that is why I am not troubled by the taking down of the Lee monument. To be honest, I would be very happy if Confederate monuments were taken down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 07:43 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Well on record the state court in NOLA won't interject in the monument removal.

However the Monuments Coalition and the SCV is moving for another attempt to stop it.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:47 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Well on record the state court in NOLA won't interject in the monument removal.

However the Monuments Coalition and the SCV is moving for another attempt to stop it.
The fat lady has sung, and all the hatched chickens have been counted, so it's over.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
The fat lady has sung, and all the hatched chickens have been counted, so it's over.
No turning back at this point. I've been very vocal about my disdain regarding all things Confederate. Seeing this turn out the way it has, it does not upset me. I don't feel bad at all that the Confederate statues are being removed.

That said, I thought about this. I once lived in Marietta,GA, a suburb of Atlanta. There are two schools in the area named for a Confederate general, Joseph Wheeler High School. I didn't know this for a long time. And something tells me that alot of students don't know this. I can't find anything even mentioning of a hint of trying to rename the high school. What I notice is that alot of Blacks wanted to see the Confederate statues removed. From my own personal experiences, alot of Blacks do not like things related to the Confederacy. Considering that there is no uproar about Wheeler High School being named for a Confederate general, I think alot of people just don't know it was named for a Confederate general.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:40 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No turning back at this point. I've been very vocal about my disdain regarding all things Confederate. Seeing this turn out the way it has, it does not upset me. I don't feel bad at all that the Confederate statues are being removed.

That said, I thought about this. I once lived in Marietta,GA, a suburb of Atlanta. There are two schools in the area named for a Confederate general, Joseph Wheeler High School. I didn't know this for a long time. And something tells me that alot of students don't know this. I can't find anything even mentioning of a hint of trying to rename the high school. What I notice is that alot of Blacks wanted to see the Confederate statues removed. From my own personal experiences, alot of Blacks do not like things related to the Confederacy. Considering that there is no uproar about Wheeler High School being named for a Confederate general, I think alot of people just don't know it was named for a Confederate general.
We don't really revel in Confederate history, other than what is shoved down our throats living in the south.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
We don't really revel in Confederate history, other than what is shoved down our throats living in the south.
Well, I have to consider this. A majority of Blacks are, by and large, southerners. If this Confederate stuff really was southern heritage, why aren't Blacks claiming that heritage or trying to make such an argument? This question is for those who want to make the "heritage not hate" argument.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
It would not bother me one bit to see Confederate monuments come down.
You're like the Taliban in the ME blowing up all the statues, churches, and ancient works of art that offends them. Think about it.
Lee was an American hero. You are delusional if you think you and a handful of haters can impose your twisted revisionist crap on the rest of us.
Ain't happening pal.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You're like the Taliban in the ME blowing up all the statues, churches, and ancient works of art that offends them. Think about it.
Lee was an American hero. You are delusional if you think you and a handful of haters can impose your twisted revisionist crap on the rest of us.
Ain't happening pal.
Lee was a traitor. He swore an oath to protect the USA. He sided with an enemy combatant. According to the Constitution, that is treason. Now, prove me wrong.

Comparing me to the Taliban is ridiculous. First of all, Lee is a traitor. Those churches are not of traitors. Call it revisionist all you want. These are facts. You have only proven that you disagree with me. You have not proven me wrong.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:32 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
If you want to fight this battle with words; you should at least read a history book or two. The war between the states was not a one dimensional event, and the people who played their roles did not choose to be on that stage. It happened.

No one honored General Lee more that President Lincoln himself.

It is a little sad that NO is ridding itself of the one thing that has brought is fame and fortune in the past. Its very unique history and culture that was a blend of many things. Now that it will only embrace a black cultural perspective it most likely will just be another Detroit in our country.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:17 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Lee was a traitor. He swore an oath to protect the USA. He sided with an enemy combatant. According to the Constitution, that is treason. Now, prove me wrong.

Comparing me to the Taliban is ridiculous. First of all, Lee is a traitor. Those churches are not of traitors. Call it revisionist all you want. These are facts. You have only proven that you disagree with me. You have not proven me wrong.
Your opinions are just that. I'll make it simple so you can grasp the potential dangers of your cleansing.
If statues start coming down as you want, expect statues of your ilk to receive the same fate. Is that where were headed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans