Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 11:18 AM

9 posts, read 12,453 times

Advertisements

New Orleans needs to get the crime under control or it's going to seriously affect its only industry.

From today's Picayune:

Essence Fest armed robbery victim: 'I will never come here again,' Fox 8 reports
Essence Fest armed robbery victim: 'I will never come here again,' Fox 8 reports | NOLA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 01:59 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingpoli View Post
New Orleans needs to get the crime under control or it's going to seriously affect its only industry.

From today's Picayune:

Essence Fest armed robbery victim: 'I will never come here again,' Fox 8 reports
Essence Fest armed robbery victim: 'I will never come here again,' Fox 8 reports | NOLA.com
I would love for crime to be under control, but there has always been crime here, at times much worse than now, but the tourists keep coming.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:52 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Racism is the systemic oppression by economic and social factors. Black people do not have that power to oppress another race of people in America. Prejudice, yes. Racism, no.
Except that you could say the same thing about any country. Japan, Germany, Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam and on and on.
It's the social hierarchy in place since the beginning of history. It has improved dramatically in recent decades so we are headed in the right direcrion.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:51 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Except that you could say the same thing about any country. Japan, Germany, Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam and on and on.
It's the social hierarchy in place since the beginning of history. It has improved dramatically in recent decades so we are headed in the right direcrion.
Exactly. But we're talking about America.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:04 PM

The murder rate here is not the normal for cities. People being dismissive of it is the problem.

Stats for comparison in 2015:

New Orleans, LA Pop: roughly 375,000 / Murders: 165

NY, NY Pop (includes Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx): roughly 8.5 million / Murders: 350

Baltimore, Maryland Pop: roughly 621,000 / Murders: 344

Austin Metro Pop: roughly 2 million / Murders: 35

New Orleans is at 69 today. It was 66 yesterday.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:23 AM..

Old 07-06-2016, 03:13 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Quote:
My wife has had items thrown at her from moving vehicles by men yelling, "Get the **** out of here, you white *****!" while she's out walking the dog minding her own business.

That does not happen in every city.

The part of that that bothers us the most is the "white" part. We were taught to treat EVERYONE with respect and consideration regardless of color, ethnicities, purple unicorn-ness, etc.

And this IS a violent city. Let's be honest.

But, let me ask, you'd be cool with your wife and daughter paying $950 a month to live and wander around the area of Felicity and Chippewa?

I've lived in Harlem, Alabama, Biloxi, Austin, among other places. New Orleans is its own ballgame in the violence and racism departments.

Also, the Times-Picayune and The Advocate are good sources for a regular rundown of the murders. Last week, in one day, there were 29 major crimes (homicides, armed robberies, rapes) within one mile of my place in the Lower Garden District, which also happens to be the most expensive neighborhood as well (I, obviously, don't live in that part).

How does that not mesh with what I said about being careful which street you live on?

Annie, being in control of a gun and threatening to or actually killing someone because of their color -- any color -- is a hate crime. Being in possession of a deadly weapon tends to nullify whatever systemic economic and social oppression either person experiences.

I don't hate the city. I'm just trying to be honest. The way people were with me when I moved to town.

Everyone finds their own way to love it. Among other things, there are many kind, compassionate, caring, helpful and smart people in this city. But let's not bury our heads in the sand about the problems (or maybe that's why they've been around so long) in New Orleans. Apathy doesn't look good on any city.

Edit: Also NOPD's Major Offense Log: NOPD - Major Offense Log - City of New Orleans
The most honest, unbiased read I've had in a long, long time. thank you for your comments.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:07 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,945 times
Quote:
The murder rate here is not the normal for cities. People being dismissive of it is the problem.

Stats for comparison in 2015:

New Orleans, LA Pop: roughly 375,000 / Murders: 165

NY, NY Pop (includes Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx): roughly 8.5 million / Murders: 350

Baltimore, Maryland Pop: roughly 621,000 / Murders: 344

Austin Metro Pop: roughly 2 million / Murders: 35

New Orleans is at 69 today. It was 66 yesterday.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
So, if people weren't dismissive the murders would stop? I don't know anyone down here who is dismissive of the murders. If they're like me, they probably just don't know what they can do to stop it.

90 % of the murders here are drug related, and are people who know each other. As long as you aren't living that lifestyle, there's not much to worry about.

In my eyes it's not a race issue, it's more of a money issue. I have made more black friends than white friends in this city, and none of them have ever robbed anyone. None of them have ever been shot, and most of them are better off financially than I am.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:23 AM..

Old 07-19-2016, 09:17 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,408 times
New Orleans is a place where you'll hear black and white people calling each other baby all the time. It's also a place where the degree of social interaction between black and white people seems to be above the peaceful coexistence norms of other Southern cities.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:36 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
While I was working in Minneapolis, Minnesota I used to like to walk to work. One day a person on a young girls pink bike came up behind me & demanded my oversized bag.I didn't want to give it up as I was crocheting a blanket for my new grandchild. Other than that it only contained exactly $2.50 for bus fare in case I wanted to take the bus home.

This person decided he wanted my bag regardless & almost broke my jaw when he hit me. He did break my glasses & dislodged a tooth. A neighbor told me later that her granddaughters pink bike had been stolen off the porch.

It wasn't long before I changed jobs & moved to St. Paul.

Is NOLA like that?

Old 07-26-2016, 05:39 PM

According to the news, yes. And sometimes they'll shoot you if you don't have any money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans