Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 12:56 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,457 times

Advertisements

I agree with a lot of this. Non-violent drug penalties should never be more severe than a DWI or any other negligent vehicle operation. I would even say they could raise the legal limit for intoxication to 0.1 but also raise the penalties. Lot's of dangerous drivers out there are stone cold sober playing on their phones. A DWI is the only repercussion with any kind of teeth which isn't saying much.

This kid should loose his license for 10 years minimum and serve mandatory jail time. But he will likely be out driving around again in 6 months.

This isn't unique to Louisiana, though. In a country where 95% of the population is completely dependent on their personal vehicle, nobody want's harsher penalties for something they are all forced to do on a daily basis. We want the 'bar' as low as possible. It's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:52 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,861,004 times
Aery11 so sorry to hear your story, just sad. For one thang, anyone driving over 1.5 should be a felony, plain and simple. Mothers Against Drunk Driving should be at the sentencing trial of all DUI case's esp. in Louisiana where way to many deals are made between judges and lawyers behind closed doors. State Troopers should be called in for all DUI cases especially in New Orleans. Free rides for all folks in the quarter, sure why not, great idea, just add a tax to the booze down there to pay for it.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:16 PM

806 posts, read 877,617 times
My wife was hit by a drunk driver a few years ago . Totaled her car . Two days in the Hospital , several weeks of missed work . Scars and aches and pains that will last her the rest of her life . This piece of trash was convicted of THIRD OFFENSE DWI . No Insurance , no job , no assets at all . It was a Wednesday at noon .Not exactly prime partying time . I don't think UBER or any form of mass transportation was anything this clown would have been interested in . There has to be consequences for your actions or there will be no change in your behavior . I have no interest in coddling drunk drivers or making excuses for their actions and they can rot in jail if it will keep them off the streets .

Old 02-28-2017, 08:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
My wife was hit by a drunk driver a few years ago . Totaled her car . Two days in the Hospital , several weeks of missed work . Scars and aches and pains that will last her the rest of her life . This piece of trash was convicted of THIRD OFFENSE DWI . No Insurance , no job , no assets at all . It was a Wednesday at noon .Not exactly prime partying time . I don't think UBER or any form of mass transportation was anything this clown would have been interested in . There has to be consequences for your actions or there will be no change in your behavior . I have no interest in coddling drunk drivers or making excuses for their actions and they can rot in jail if it will keep them off the streets .
My idea obviously isn't supposed to be a fix all.
Punishment usually doesn't prevent behavior, as is shown by our skyrocketing prison population.
I don't like to "coddle" anyone but throwing them in a cell on taxpayer dime isn't the right answer.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
My idea obviously isn't supposed to be a fix all.
Punishment usually doesn't prevent behavior, as is shown by our skyrocketing prison population.
I don't like to "coddle" anyone but throwing them in a cell on taxpayer dime isn't the right answer.
Ahh, in sum states, whoever a car is registered to that person is ALWAYS responsible for that vehicle. If I lend u my truck to go to home depot, u go off and get drunk and pulled over, tough stuff, because the state confiscates the vehicle and auctions it off keeping the money to help fund the police department. How should a person even be able to register a vehicle w/10+ DUI's. When a person blows a 2.33 he should be(as in sum other states) charged with a felony. Least he wont be driving while he's in prison, Angola hopefully. Sumtimes it's best to do with sumone what is best for society, Lock them up, throw away the key. Gun blazing gang bangers, rapist, child molesters, cold blooded killers, and repeat drunk drivers just don't have any sympathy for. My 2 cents and like u can't claim to fix all

Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Ahh, in sum states, whoever a car is registered to that person is ALWAYS responsible for that vehicle. If I lend u my truck to go to home depot, u go off and get drunk and pulled over, tough stuff, because the state confiscates the vehicle and auctions it off keeping the money to help fund the police department. How should a person even be able to register a vehicle w/10+ DUI's. When a person blows a 2.33 he should be(as in sum other states) charged with a felony. Least he wont be driving while he's in prison, Angola hopefully. Sumtimes it's best to do with sumone what is best for society, Lock them up, throw away the key. Gun blazing gang bangers, rapist, child molesters, cold blooded killers, and repeat drunk drivers just don't have any sympathy for. My 2 cents and like u can't claim to fix all
That's nothing more than theft and it's easy to get the public to be emotionally involved because the drunk driver is the "enemy." Same way when police steal from convicted and non-convicted drug dealers, taking homes and everything in them.

Right but locking up Joe Blow for drinking and driving isn't going to stop John Doe from drinking and driving.
People will drink, plain and simple, and when 90% of Americans don't have a mode of transportation outside of their car, they will drive. Expecting people to not drink and drive is insane, as it's proven that punishment doesn't work, and further criminalizing it instead of treating it will lead us to the same problem we have with a bunch of non-violent drug offenders in the worlds largest prison population? All we're going to end up doing is increasing the prison population, tearing apart those families, and still having drunk drivers leaving Tigerland.

Why do we do the same things over and over and expect different results?

Old 03-01-2017, 04:38 PM

Naw, tell u Annie it's not theft, it's a deterant and it works. Could care less if u drink 2 5ths of vodka a day, that's ure business. When u get drunk, drive a car that's my business. As with the parade, it's the innocent people that get hurt. U thank that little punk had enough insurance to cover all the people he hurt in that incident? Everytime they drive drunk they are risking my family's life, finances, health with there own selfish stupidity. Anyone who enables these drunks is just as guilty. Don't wana risk losing ure car, don't give ure keys to a drunk. But I didn't know the drunk was gona get drunk and drive, well now u know. By the way, in Georgia I promise u, the lil punks parents would be in a bind. You do know his parents own multible daquarie shops and from what I heard he was sloshing down daqiure's at one of the shops before he jumped in his truck and smashed up the parade route. Yep, in many states, u feed a bunch of drinks in sumone, they leave ur establishment and drive a car and get in a wreck, the establishment is liable. Doesn't cost the tax payer a dime, the Morris Barts keep a lid on the whole thang, trust me it works.

Wonder how many people he hit missed work and school today from substained injuries, Lost wages, doctor bills even with your own insurance is crazy. A lot of good people will be paying for this lil punks actions for a long time. Have no sympathy for da lil punk.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:30 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,751 times
All I have to say about this is, if a drunk hurts or kills my family or anyone else I care about, I won't be impotently whining about how somebody should be doing something on an internet forum. If it really is so wrong, and you really are so upset, and the government really doesn't do justice(shocking, eh?), are you telling me that all you got in your bag of tricks is a whiny post on a forum? That's pretty lame. It has to suck to be you.

Do that to my family, and I WILL make sure your life is so miserable that you wish you were in prison. Or maybe you will off yourself to get out of the hell you've brought on yourself. And that is if I choose to resort only to legal methods. People need to grow a brain and a set of balls, and make these miscreants pay commensurately to the crime committed. Stop waiting for the government to fix everything and take some damn responsibility for your own satisfaction. You don't have to be a criminal to heap misery on a person, just inventive. It's gotta feel pretty bad to be punked by a frigging drunk. Use it as an incentive to think out of the box and hurt the SOB back. And stop trying to create a totalitarian government big enough to devour us all at a sitting. It keeps getting bigger, and nothing gets better. So, hey, let's grow it some more! I mean it is really too small and weak to beat a sloppy drunk, right? It just needs more power, that's all....

Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Naw, tell u Annie it's not theft, it's a deterant and it works. Could care less if u drink 2 5ths of vodka a day, that's ure business. When u get drunk, drive a car that's my business. As with the parade, it's the innocent people that get hurt. U thank that little punk had enough insurance to cover all the people he hurt in that incident? Everytime they drive drunk they are risking my family's life, finances, health with there own selfish stupidity. Anyone who enables these drunks is just as guilty. Don't wana risk losing ure car, don't give ure keys to a drunk. But I didn't know the drunk was gona get drunk and drive, well now u know. By the way, in Georgia I promise u, the lil punks parents would be in a bind. You do know his parents own multible daquarie shops and from what I heard he was sloshing down daqiure's at one of the shops before he jumped in his truck and smashed up the parade route. Yep, in many states, u feed a bunch of drinks in sumone, they leave ur establishment and drive a car and get in a wreck, the establishment is liable. Doesn't cost the tax payer a dime, the Morris Barts keep a lid on the whole thang, trust me it works.

Wonder how many people he hit missed work and school today from substained injuries, Lost wages, doctor bills even with your own insurance is crazy. A lot of good people will be paying for this lil punks actions for a long time. Have no sympathy for da lil punk.
If it was a deterrent, people wouldn't drive drunk, but they do. If my mom spanking me was effective, I would have never gotten them on a weekly basis. If prison was an effective deterrent, there would be no crime. If getting suspended was an effective way to stop fights, there would be no fights in school. Now they've criminalized it and fights still happen. If the death penalty worked, it would stop murders and rapes but it doesn't. You are emotionally reacting instead of pragmatically responding. Which is why you agree with these ineffective tactics and government theft of private property.

So if I rent a car, and get drunk, then the companies car should be seized? Great, logical idea. I bet it'll stop drunk driving!

Old 03-02-2017, 04:36 AM

It surely does, lol. At least it gets the drunk off the rode for a while. By the time the drunk can afford another car, it gives most sumthan to consider, also makes people thank 2ce about lending out a car, and drnks have a vary hard time renting a car. Drunk that hit me had 10+ DUI's w/no liscense, no insurance but car was still registered in his name, WTF. U must like the current system in new Orleans, that's horrible logic. just my 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans