Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 01:59 AM

125 posts, read 209,131 times

Advertisements

I recently interviewed for a full-time position as a teacher in a religiously-affiliated school in Greater N.O. The headmaster offered to pay me a salary of $16,000 per year for as long as I am uncredentialed. Once credentialed, I would realize a boost in pay to $20,000 per year. This figure would include compensation for teaching summer school, for coaching a sport, for overseeing extra-curricular activities, and for helping with religious services that the school offers on weekends.

When my jaw dropped to the floor during this portion of our interview, the headmaster spun the situation thusly:

This is a competitive first-year salary for private schools -- for ALL schools, for that matter in the New Orleans area. You see, New Orleans has a poor economy, especially post-Katrina. If you shop around, you'll find this to be the case. Besides, it's a livable wage. Everything in this city, compared to where you're from [Alabama] is much lower.

Me: But I have Googled around and found evidence to the contrary. For instance, I have discovered that in the Recovery School District, the pay scale for a first-year Bachelor's is $36,900 annually...

Those figures online are misleading. Should you attempt to be hired by such a school, you'll surely find my offer to be competitive with any of theirs.

I am inclined to believe that this salary figure and the entire spin job is pure crap. The position was advertised at twice that figure -- classic bait & switch. But that's yet another bone to pick.

I am asking the school teachers on this board:

What IS the average or competitive starting salary figure for a first-year teacher in a private school, in a religious-affiliated school, in a public school in New Orleans? Is $16K what I think it is: absurdly lowball for ANY full-time position? Or is the market THAT poor? -- Are the headmaster's statements regarding the plight of teacher salaries in New Orleans accurate? Have my findings on the internet been spurious?

SP

Last edited by san phlegmatico; 04-06-2008 at 03:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 09:05 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san phlegmatico View Post
I recently interviewed for a full-time position as a teacher in a religiously-affiliated school in Greater N.O. The headmaster offered to pay me a salary of $16,000 per year for as long as I am uncredentialed. Once credentialed, I would realize a boost in pay to $20,000 per year. This figure would include compensation for teaching summer school, for coaching a sport, for overseeing extra-curricular activities, and for helping with religious services that the school offers on weekends.

When my jaw dropped to the floor during this portion of our interview, the headmaster spun the situation thusly:

This is a competitive first-year salary for private schools -- for ALL schools, for that matter in the New Orleans area. You see, New Orleans has a poor economy, especially post-Katrina. If you shop around, you'll find this to be the case. Besides, it's a livable wage. Everything in this city, compared to where you're from [Alabama] is much lower.

Me: But I have Googled around and found evidence to the contrary. For instance, I have discovered that in the Recovery School District, the pay scale for a first-year Bachelor's is $36,900 annually...

Those figures online are misleading. Should you attempt to be hired by such a school, you'll surely find my offer to be competitive with any of theirs.

I am inclined to believe that this salary figure and the entire spin job is pure crap. The position was advertised at twice that figure -- classic bait & switch. But that's yet another bone to pick.

What IS the average or competitive starting salary figure for a first-year teacher in a private school, in a religious-affiliated school, in a public school in New Orleans? Is $16K what I think it is: absurdly lowball for ANY full-time position? Or is the market THAT poor? -- Are the headmaster's statements regarding the plight of teacher salaries in New Orleans accurate? Have my findings on the internet been spurious?

SP
I lived in N.O. most of my life - you cannot possibly live on that salary! You would be, as they say, "working for God not money."

Old 04-06-2008, 09:27 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,146 times
I taught in NOLA for 8 years before Katrina. Trust me; the offer is crap. Most private schools pay crap. You'd be better off working on getting your LA certification this summer and applying for a public school position.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:37 PM

564 posts, read 2,342,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san phlegmatico View Post

SP

Private school pay is universally crap. Don't let them fool you into thinking you'll make less at a Public school. You'll make more, trust me.

And that's with no summer school, coaching, or religious services.

Get your certification and get a public school job to save yourself the hassel.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:40 PM

54 posts, read 282,526 times
While it is true that the public system pays more here, you could find yourself dealing with a much different student body at a N.O. public school than you would find at one of the ISAS private schools. I can’t post the link, but the local newspaper (there’s only one) has a website with an Education forum where some teachers hang out.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,982 times
Does anyone have an update to the Private School teacher pay? I have an interview with a private school coming next week. I was very excited about the interview until i read this post and saw that $20,000 would be my pay. As a student just leaving college with student loans to pay off, this is an unlivable wage for me.

If anyone has any insight to the pay of private school teachers in NOLA please let me know!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:54 PM

180 posts, read 667,335 times
Here's a link to what public schools pay (2007-2008) directly from the horse's mouth:

http://www.nops.k12.la.us/uploads/File/2007/employment/2007-08%20salaries.doc (broken link)

Public school teachers are government employees, and as such are paid on a strict pay scale based on education and seniority (this isn't always a GOOD thing since bad teachers make the same as good teachers). The schoolmaster is full of crap. 20K is ridiculous for teacher pay no matter WHERE you are.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
It has always been true that private school teachers make less than public school teachers and that private sch students are, for the most part, better behaved than public sch students. But that's a huge disparity as shown in ceejamon's link.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,021 times
Default Private School Salary

That sounds about right for private schools. I taught at a Catholic school in Jefferson parish. I had 20 years experience and was making $30,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: