Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2023, 11:51 PM

4 posts, read 2,384 times

Advertisements

So I was planning to do a trip to New Orleans sometime in the future, and I am from Ruston. I was curious which route is the best. According to Google Maps, there are three routes that one could take:

The first route involves taking I-20 east to Vicksburg, and then MS-27 south through Utica to Crystal Springs to I-55 south back into Louisiana to its southern terminus and join up with I-10 in LaPlace to get to New Orleans.

The second route involves taking US-167 south to Alexandria, and I-49 south to US-190 near in Opelousas, and follow that road east to Baton Rouge to get on I-10 to New Orleans.

And finally, the third route involves driving east on I-20 to Rayville, and heading south on US-425 to Natchez, and then following US-61 (Blues Hwy) south to Baton Rouge to join with I-10 to New Orleans.

Of these 3 routes, which one is the best and the one that you would recommend the most? Or if you have an idea for a different route, give me ideas! I'm open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 11:26 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog73 View Post
So I was planning to do a trip to New Orleans sometime in the future, and I am from Ruston. I was curious which route is the best. According to Google Maps, there are three routes that one could take:

The first route involves taking I-20 east to Vicksburg, and then MS-27 south through Utica to Crystal Springs to I-55 south back into Louisiana to its southern terminus and join up with I-10 in LaPlace to get to New Orleans.

The second route involves taking US-167 south to Alexandria, and I-49 south to US-190 near in Opelousas, and follow that road east to Baton Rouge to get on I-10 to New Orleans.

And finally, the third route involves driving east on I-20 to Rayville, and heading south on US-425 to Natchez, and then following US-61 (Blues Hwy) south to Baton Rouge to join with I-10 to New Orleans.

Of these 3 routes, which one is the best and the one that you would recommend the most? Or if you have an idea for a different route, give me ideas! I'm open to suggestions.
We always took the first route. Unless there's somewhere you want to stop, I'd just take the shortest route.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:42 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:

I know you're asking the question, but

1. How much time do you have?

2. Are there any places you want to visit, restaurants to eat at or sights to see on the way down? Or is this just a drive to get from point A to point B?

Old 09-30-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I know you're asking the question, but

1. How much time do you have?

2. Are there any places you want to visit, restaurants to eat at or sights to see on the way down? Or is this just a drive to get from point A to point B?
I suppose I would have more than enough time to make some stops along the way, and it wouldn't hurt if there was scenery along the way as well.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I suppose I would have more than enough time to make some stops along the way, and it wouldn't hurt if there was scenery along the way as well.

The scenery is not going to be an issue, regardless of the route. It’s all pretty nondescript.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The scenery is not going to be an issue, regardless of the route. It’s all pretty nondescript.
How about the route with the best bridges along the way for views of rivers and lakes? Which route has the best restaurants along the way, and places to stop and do things?

Old 10-02-2023, 07:10 PM

Personally, I would eliminate the second route through central LA. I'm indifferent between the other two. One goes through Natchez and the other Vicksburg. Both are interesting with have much history. The first route will take you over a long bridge between Ponchatoula and LaPlace. If you like antiques, Ponchatoula has a few stores. There are some good restaurants in both Natchez and Vicksburg. If you take the first route, you could stop at Mittendorf's restaurant, near Ponchatoula and the lake. It has quite a history. Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Personally, I would eliminate the second route through central LA. I'm indifferent between the other two. One goes through Natchez and the other Vicksburg. Both are interesting with have much history. The first route will take you over a long bridge between Ponchatoula and LaPlace. If you like antiques, Ponchatoula has a few stores. There are some good restaurants in both Natchez and Vicksburg. If you take the first route, you could stop at Mittendorf's restaurant, near Ponchatoula and the lake. It has quite a history. Hope this helps.
I did go to Vicksburg last year for my birthday, and we ate at this restaurant called the 'Historic Klondyke Trading Post', which had some of the most delicious burgers I've ever eaten. Vicksburg did seem like a pretty cool place. I've never been to Natchez though, but it sounds like an interesting place to visit. I'm interested in driving across the I-55 Manchac Swamp Bridge from Pontchatoula to LaPlace along with the Bonnet Carre Spillway bridge, maybe I could get them both on dashcam video. Also, on the way back to Ruston, I could take a route that is different than the one that I took to New Orleans. I also wouldn't mind seeing Baton Rouge. There is also the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway heading from Metairie north to Mandeville, maybe I should drive across that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans