Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:08 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,804 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where I can get some good Mexican food?
Juan's is good and I've had Nacho Momma's and EL Gato Nego but I want real greasy cheap burritos.

I'm from Chicago and this has been the hardest part of the move foodwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 AM

191 posts, read 698,184 times
Check out the Chowhound New Orleans forum.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:40 PM

44 posts, read 198,130 times
Absolutely the only thing even CLOSE to anything in CHicago (or Mexico, for that matter) is Taqueria Sanchez "El Sabrosito". There is a stand near Stumph Blvd on the Westbank Expy and a sit down restauranat somewhere near Airline Hwy in Kenner... I have found a few places in Metairie that I would like to try eventually too.... El Union Supermercado on Esplanade in Kenner is a great grocery, and there's a food counter too (but with S. American food, I believe, I havent tried it yet)...
And you can count my opinion as valuable, as my normal spot to eat was Pilsen and LIttle Village

Old 09-30-2008, 03:41 PM

Forgot to ask.... what's worse for you, the Mexican food or the PIZZA?! Im going crazy feenin for some real pizza Found a place in Metairie that has real Chicago stuffed and/or pan pizza but havent tried it yet.... Otherwise it's all Pizza hut or Dominoes!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:49 PM

I get in a ton of trouble for saying it but I miss Chicago food so much.
I like Po' boys as much as the next guy but I don't like paying $10 for them when I used to be able to pay $5 and get 3 hotdogs and fries and a pop.

The lack of Mexican sucks, the pizza is a joke as well.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:34 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
I reading ya'll's posts and grinning. I worked with a young woman who was from Southern California and her search for good Mexican here was legendary. I think she went to every Mexican restaurant in the area looking for the real deal but her search was futile. It drove her nuts looking for food comprable to her version of home cooking. (Pre-K, I think things may be changing Post-K)

She was befuddled over the food thing because she thought NOLA was supposed to have good food and I explained that we're not exactly known for our Mexican food, (well she thought it was funny anyways). I've also had to explain about the bagles, pizza, and why there aren't tons of take out places open 24/7 once to a New Yorker.

I've been to Chicago and, man oh man, I haven't had a worthy pizza since! I don't think anyone would object if someone wanted to open a genuine Chicago style pizza place here. What's the name of that place in Metairie Petronilla?

Anyone remember the Bean Pot in Chalmette? It was run by a litte old Latino man and the food was super good the parking lot used to be packed on the weekends and for lunch.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM

Like your NYC friend, I have the same problem with nothing being open all night and no delis etc...
Chicago has the second largest pop. of Mexicans outside of California.
We're used to the people/food etc just as we are with Pizza and beef sandwiches.

I'm sure someone has tried to get an authentic styled food joint open down here at one time but it seems like a lot of people are just fine with eating their Creole food.
I think unless you've had it up there, there's no craving for it down here.

If the Sox make it to the WS, I am going to home to pig out.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:31 AM

The pizza place is called That's Amore and it's on Clearview.... They apparently have both New York and Chicago style pizza (but dont ask me what I think of New York Pizza)... LIke I said, I havent been there yet, but there is a disclaimer stating that the Chicago pizza is a 45 min wait (something you see on all pizza menus in Chicago if you want anything other than thin crust) so that right there tells me they are doing something right
If I had a ton of $$$$, I would open up a Mexican/pizza restaurant! With some Puerto Rican food too, since there is NONE of that here either.... And it would be open 24 hours of course..
The only thing that saves me is that there really are a lot of Latin groceries and I know how to make most of the food from scratch. I have finally abandoned the idea of finding decent tortillas here and have bought my big old bag of masa and a press and am ready to go old school with it....

Old 10-02-2008, 06:14 AM

59 posts, read 167,138 times
i too am on the great mexican food crack salsa search. surprisingly birmingham never disappointed me. well i mean homewood really.

i'm vegetarian so it's been interesting finding things i can eat. indian food has been a challenge too. pizza places are more new york style not chicago guys sorry. then again i've only tried chicago style pizza once. i thought i was pregnant after the experience. it was that good.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:47 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronilla View Post
I have finally abandoned the idea of finding decent tortillas here and have bought my big old bag of masa and a press and am ready to go old school with it....
That's how my friend's mom does it! She makes a fablous flan as well. Thanks for the pizza tip; we'll be heading out to Metairie for pizza, (I remember a long wait for pizza in Chi).

Misery, I don't know about ya'll but the woman from NY was surprised by the lack of deli/24/7 food. I think she was expecting a large, busy city; I imagine we looked like a fauburg to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans