Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:07 PM

76 posts, read 507,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBee View Post
If they did that, only the French Quarter area would be dry.
It would be more than just the French Quarter dry. Something like half of the city land is at or above sea level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 05:57 PM

169 posts, read 672,690 times
Default Not really feasible

The real problem is that parts of New Orleans should never have been built on in the first place - these are the places that flooded badly in Katrina and will continue to flood (and sink as others have pointed out). These are also the places that have yet to "recover". I lived in the NO area most of my life and you don't realize that many areas are really asking for trouble regarding flooding. I guess it was poor planning way back when we thought we could tame nature. Anyhow that is the real problem regarding the flooding issues. As others have pointed out there are many parts of New Orleans that are not as flood prone (unless the MS river levee breaks) these include downtown, French Quarter, etc which happen to be the ones that did OK in Katrina. Now regarding the economy, crime, politics, etc that is a whole other issue...

Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 AM

20 posts, read 129,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was watching of course some post Katrina special on TV and of course as usual it always about the problems and not the solutions.

So I was thinking wow New Orleans almost sounds like Venice with all the canals and topography in relation to all the lakes, river and ocean nearby why spend this money on flood walls but instead let the water in and build around it. The whole city doesnt have to be underwater but maybe the areas that are struggling to revive.

It would put a new meaning to New Orleans and be the most romantic city in the usa with all the tourist coming in wanting to ride gondolas
It would be smarter to bulldoze the whole city and turn it into a landfill. It wouldn't take much work since most people already consider it a dump.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:33 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
New Orleans is the Paris of America

Old 07-08-2007, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiCi23 View Post
I live in Louisiana. I was not trying to be humurous with my comment that I may towards the orginal whom posted this question. If you think about it the city will be under water in years to come due to it being below sea level, scientist say it will be gone. This city can't even keep their deceased under water, they float to the top when it rains..It seems logical to rebuild in a way that would adapt tp the land and people so theat they may be safer and less destroyed God forbid if somethinglike that happend again!!!
New-Orleans is NOT under SEA level, only under the artificial RIVER level.
Do you need a proof ?
Put the river back to its natural level, please

Old 07-08-2007, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,627 times
who says to FLOOD NOLA ? The city of Amsterdam is for most parts under SEA level, while NOLA is below RIVER level.
Recreating marshes and creating raised islands and canals decreases the risk of flooding.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:00 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
New Orleans is the Paris of America
The title "Paris of America" belongs to San Francisco!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:17 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,444 times
Actually it belonged to Detroit originally...Detroit is originally French anyhow.

New Orleans is the most European City in the United States...altho it's really Carribean/African/European.

And it's a great place.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:16 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Actually it belonged to Detroit originally...Detroit is originally French anyhow.
En Français: Détroit--strait.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:16 AM

19 posts, read 94,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinut View Post
who says to FLOOD NOLA ? The city of Amsterdam is for most parts under SEA level, while NOLA is below RIVER level.
Recreating marshes and creating raised islands and canals decreases the risk of flooding.

I'm not so sure. Every map of the Greater New Orleans' elevation shows the river being higher than everything with about 10%-20% of the land is at sea level, and less than 20% is above. The majority of the whole are all the way down through Plaquemines is a flood basin and is significantly below sea level.

Hurricanes cause sea level rise, hence flooding in areas at or above sea level. The whole city is sinking, some parts just faster than other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans