U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Monroe!
430 posts, read 158,486 times
Reputation: 213

Advertisements

omg....white flight talk again......I refuse to believe thats the cause, because just as the confederacy stood there ground all them years(and still do), those people who worked so hard to build their establishments are not about to run off because of the demographics are begining to balance in that specific area. I just dont believe that at all, especially in bigger cities where if you build up something great you would be a fool to run off due to foolishness such ass race.

I can speak on that in Monroe/West Monroe(the "white flight area") The demographics are still about the same in Monroe. Those people still live in Monroe just built up new establishments like Cypress Point, Frenchmen's Bend, Finks Hideaway and Swartz. The Garden District is still mostly white, but that area high school,Neville High School, has become a balanced race high school for in the last 2 decades now. Same can be said about Ouachita High. Those people still didnt move, they just manuevered by creating private schools like Ouachita Christian, St. Freds, and River Oaks private high schools. Same goes as far as retail stores and restaurants. In doing so they created separate towns outside the city limits, but is still very much a part of the city due the fact major business is still within the city of Monroe.

The white flights to me only help a particular city because it extends and speads out the city. Those people are not going to leave the area all together because of the balancing of demographics. BS!!!

New Orleans problem is within the lines of crime, old and bad government, and the newest one, damage from hurricane Katrina, which will grately affect the properity of New Orleans, not stupid white flights!!!

Last edited by Louisiana'sLegend2; 11-10-2009 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 8,194,152 times
Reputation: 1375
...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 4,648,930 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
omg....white flight talk again......I refuse to believe thats the cause, because just as the confederacy stood there ground all them years(and still do), those people who worked so hard to build their establishments are not about to run off because of the demographics are begining to balance in that specific area. I just dont believe that at all, especially in bigger cities where if you build up something great you would be a fool to run off due to foolishness such ass race.

I can speak on that in Monroe/West Monroe(the "white flight area") The demographics are still about the same in Monroe. Those people still live in Monroe just built up new establishments like Cypress Point, Frenchmen's Bend, Finks Hideaway and Swartz. The Garden District is still mostly white, but that area high school,Neville High School, has become a balanced race high school for in the last 2 decades now. Same can be said about Ouachita High. Those people still didnt move, they just manuevered by creating private schools like Ouachita Christian, St. Freds, and River Oaks private high schools. Same goes as far as retail stores and restaurants. In doing so they created separate towns outside the city limits, but is still very much a part of the city due the fact major business is still within the city of Monroe.

The white flights to me only help a particular city because it extends and speads out the city. Those people are not going to leave the area all together because of the balancing of demographics. BS!!!

New Orleans problem is within the lines of crime, old and bad government, and the newest one, damage from hurricane Katrina, which will grately affect the properity of New Orleans, not stupid white flights!!!
New Orleans and Monroe are very different places. To say that white flight didn't happen in the New Orleans area just isn't right.

Picture this: Population inside city limits is going down. Population of suburban areas is going up. Percentage of blacks inside city is going up, and percentage of whites inside city is going down.

What does that tell you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,236 posts, read 12,208,537 times
Reputation: 25706
Funny, there's so much good replies and yet, I'm not sure what the OP means by "prosper".

"Prosper" can have its disadvantages in areas. I read somewhere recently ~ maybe it was City-Data ~ that in the 60's a developer seriously made plans to level a good chunk of the French Quarter in the name of progress. Can you imagine the humongous error this could have been? Aside from a unique chunk of history gone forever, so would have a portion of the tourist revenue.

And this is something that I think has blocked New Orleans's economic growth. There's the tourism it relies on, and the port, and the colleges. But there isn't much for industry there.

I think everyone can jump into the same bed about the government, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Monroe!
430 posts, read 158,486 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
New Orleans and Monroe are very different places. To say that white flight didn't happen in the New Orleans area just isn't right.

Picture this: Population inside city limits is going down. Population of suburban areas is going up. Percentage of blacks inside city is going up, and percentage of whites inside city is going down.

What does that tell you?
.......but just as white flight happened in Monroe, it happened in New Orleans. The difference in this situation is irrelevant.

I was trying to illustrate how my own city's "white flight" is more of an advantage than a disadvantage due to the fact it spreads and extends the traditional inner city lifestyle throughout the whole metro. This is only going to make a specific metro a little larger and making that area seem more vibrant since its speading around the influences from the principal city. If that effect happens in Monroe, then its definitely happens in bigger cities like New Orleans.

But how can that possibly hinder New Orleans from advancing like Miami and Atlanta?

White Flights Seriously????

I refuse to believe that, white flight all you want, but from an outsiders point of view Kenner, Metarie, Marrero, and St. Bernard.......its all New Orleans. All those nomadic, suburban people still always refer back to the interior of New Orleans.

Drop that white flight talk.....and be honest....like I said New Orleans didnt advance like Atlanta and Miami because the the infamous crime, the bad and historic government, and the aftermath of Katrina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 8,194,152 times
Reputation: 1375
That's from an outsiders view. From an insiders view it's New Orleans, Metairie, Kenner, Gretna, Harvey, Marrero, Westwego, Chalmette, Arabi, Violet, Mandeville, Covington, Slidell, Destrehan, etc.

Any city is the same way. To us metro Atlanta is metro Atlanta. To an Atlantan it's Atlanta, Stn Mountain, Marietta, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Conyers, Fairburn, Union City, etc.

To people in Houston, it's Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, Missouri City, The Woodlands, Humble, Pearland, Sping, etc.

In Dallas it's Dallas, Balch Springs, Mesquite, Plano, Carrollton, Addison, Frisco, etc.

Good enough examples?


What good is having a spread out metro area with a dead center? No matter how vibrant the outer ring seems if the inside is dead, the outside won't last too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 4,648,930 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
.......but just as white flight happened in Monroe, it happened in New Orleans. The difference in this situation is irrelevant.

I was trying to illustrate how my own city's "white flight" is more of an advantage than a disadvantage due to the fact it spreads and extends the traditional inner city lifestyle throughout the whole metro. This is only going to make a specific metro a little larger and making that area seem more vibrant since its speading around the influences from the principal city. If that effect happens in Monroe, then its definitely happens in bigger cities like New Orleans.

But how can that possibly hinder New Orleans from advancing like Miami and Atlanta?

White Flights Seriously????

I refuse to believe that, white flight all you want, but from an outsiders point of view Kenner, Metarie, Marrero, and St. Bernard.......its all New Orleans. All those nomadic, suburban people still always refer back to the interior of New Orleans.

Drop that white flight talk.....and be honest....like I said New Orleans didnt advance like Atlanta and Miami because the the infamous crime, the bad and historic government, and the aftermath of Katrina.
Monroe is a very small Metropolitan Area. It is not comparable to larger metros like New Orleans and certainly not Miami or Atlanta.

You see, Monroe is still by far the largest market in your area. If you live in Sterlington or some place you are still going to depend on Monroe for alot of things (Mall, cinema, etc.) but that isn't the case in large metros. You can live in East Jefferson and not have any reason to leave East Jefferson. If they don't want their tax dollars to flow into the municipal purse of Orleans Parish, they don't have to.

An even better Example of white flight at its worst is Detroit. Educate yourself on the the history of this city and its suburbs and then we'll see what you say. Ever heard of 8 Mile Road??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Monroe!
430 posts, read 158,486 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Monroe is a very small Metropolitan Area. It is not comparable to larger metros like New Orleans and certainly not Miami or Atlanta.

You see, Monroe is still by far the largest market in your area. If you live in Sterlington or some place you are still going to depend on Monroe for alot of things (Mall, cinema, etc.) but that isn't the case in large metros. You can live in East Jefferson and not have any reason to leave East Jefferson. If they don't want their tax dollars to flow into the municipal purse of Orleans Parish, they don't have to.

An even better Example of white flight at its worst is Detroit. Educate yourself on the the history of this city and its suburbs and then we'll see what you say. Ever heard of 8 Mile Road??
I can understand detroit, and that theory applies perfectly there, but in New Orleans I'm not convinced that people will never ever neglect the inner core of it. Money, tourist, and business will forever pour into inner New Orleans due to the fact it possesses treasures that probably will neverbe duplicated. You can't say the same for detroit.

those people in the suburban areas know that, otherwise they'd move to baton rouge. They love the fact don't have to live in New Orleans to love New Orleans. I
can bet my last dollar most of those people drive to New Orleans every other day for something.

Can we please get back to the point and stop over examing mine? Why aint N.O. thriving other than white flights?

to help you do just that.......I can tell you that even blacks flee from N.O. In large numbers to larger metros where they are better excepted. Ex. Houston and Atlanta, before and after Katrina

Especially the hip-hop artist. Master P ran and got the hell out of New Orleans first chance he got for Cali. Lil Wayne left for Miami way before hurricane Katrina. Juvenile lives in Atlanta. The question is why?

so beyond white flights, how come New Orleans aint advance as much as todays most popular cities of America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
18,599 posts, read 47,894,057 times
Reputation: 16255
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
.............., but in New Orleans I'm not convinced that people will never ever neglect the inner core of it. Money, tourist, and business will forever pour into inner New Orleans due to the fact it possesses treasures that probably will neverbe duplicated. ..............
The tourist areas will always function (Fr Qtr, Uptown, Garden Distirct) but the rest of the "inner core" is trashed and likely to stay that way for some time. Come drive around and see where the money is and isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 4,648,930 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
I can understand detroit, and that theory applies perfectly there, but in New Orleans I'm not convinced that people will never ever neglect the inner core of it. Money, tourist, and business will forever pour into inner New Orleans due to the fact it possesses treasures that probably will neverbe duplicated. You can't say the same for detroit.

those people in the suburban areas know that, otherwise they'd move to baton rouge. They love the fact don't have to live in New Orleans to love New Orleans. I
can bet my last dollar most of those people drive to New Orleans every other day for something.

Can we please get back to the point and stop over examing mine? Why aint N.O. thriving other than white flights?

to help you do just that.......I can tell you that even blacks flee from N.O. In large numbers to larger metros where they are better excepted. Ex. Houston and Atlanta, before and after Katrina

Especially the hip-hop artist. Master P ran and got the hell out of New Orleans first chance he got for Cali. Lil Wayne left for Miami way before hurricane Katrina. Juvenile lives in Atlanta. The question is why?

so beyond white flights, how come New Orleans aint advance as much as todays most popular cities of America?
First of all, tell me how the inner city of New Orleans isn't neglected? The French Quarter of course not, but the French Quarter is not heavily stimulated by local dollars. It's all tourist. People who come, get drunk or learn about the history, then go home. I'm willing to bet you've never lived in New Orleans or have been to the real "inner city" of New Orleans.

I'm not going to ask how you know so much about rappers, because I don't care.

White flight is not something that is currently a huge issue for New Orleans, is is something that WAS a huge issue for New Orleans starting around the same time as the civil rights movement when schools were desegretated. The white population in the city limits is now fairly stable.

The thread is not "where is New Orleans going wrong" the thread is "where did NOLA go wrong". i.e. something that happened in the past that lead up to where we are now. Blacks leaving the city because of Katrina is an entirely different issue. At the time when white flight was at its peak, blacks were not going anywhere.

I would also like to hear a more in-depth explaination as to why whites in the New Orleans metropolitan area would move to Baton Rouge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top