Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,440 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to New Orleans and wondering where the best hospital for kids is? I know there's Children's, Oschner, Tulane Medical... are there any others?

Should I just go to the closest one or is someplace better?

Any ideas on the size of these places or the reputation of the doctors there?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 12:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
For what kind of problem? Is there a chronic condition? Are you just worrying for some possible future event?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 PM

for a child who is prone to be sick a lot and potential hospitilization. why, do the different hospitals have different areas of strength?

Old 03-21-2010, 02:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Not sure if this is currently valid: I think of Children's more as a hospital for the chronically ill or genetic problems. Both Tulane and Ochsner have pediatric emergency rooms. Really, your doctor will decide which hospital you use as not all have privileges at all hosp. Also, they are pretty spread out in the city, or driving distance might be an issue.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:55 PM

thanks for the advice. i'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on the hospitals.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:05 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times
My kid went to three different hospitals. We used Children's when there were some genetic concerns our pediatrician sent us there. We used Charity when he had a traumatic injury. When Charity was done with what they could do he was sent to East Jefferson Hospital because the world class hand surgeon practiced out of there. For everything else we went to Baptist/Memorial, (now part of the Oschner family and not really worth considering at this point because of the whole Katrina thing).

I had no complaints with any of the hospitals, but do want want to say that those folks at Charity were the most awesome people ever. They saved that kid's hand when no one thought it could be saved. The paramedics were amazed when they ran into us at a restaurant and one of them counted out five fingers.

Like Southern said, the best thing you can do is to take your time finding a good pediatrician; the kind that the nurses take their kids to see. I think that once you find the right doctor he'll guide you to the hospital he practices in and imho he wouldn't steer you wrong. For the most part the rule of thumb is if it's a heavy trauma head over to University/Charity and for the other stuff head to the hospital that your pediatrician recommends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: