Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 08:20 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,931 times

Advertisements

Ok, just to be clear....you did apply for the Q41 apartment lottery?

Did you ever get a postcard from Q41 with your log number? Most of the tenants that have moved in have log numbers in the 3000 range and below.

That is horrible you don't qualify for Hunters Point. I feel like the salary requirements for HP are very highs and lows and people around your salary range were pushed out or require more people to qualify for a 3 bedroom, but for an entire household to only make 47K is Ludacris. I don't think it's fair that your salary range is in that category where you are not labeled low income, yet they don't label you high enough to be middle income. With rent prices in NYC sky high these days, making 47K is hard to survive on your own unless your rent for a 1 bedroom is $900.00 a month and under.

The middle income rents seem a bit over the top high at HP. It really doesn't seem that friendly to me.

Maybe you should call Q41 office and inquire about the status of your application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 01:58 AM

126 posts, read 214,345 times
Did not send in an application. I am now realizing how bad of a decision it was not to. I had it filled out for some reason I never went through with it. I am now thinking of sending one in because they are setting aside applications for the future if any of the new tenants move on in the next few years. From what you are saying there are empty apartments, maybe with my Community Board reference it will help me. Do you happen to have the office number? The number where they are processing all applications? Thank you.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:10 PM

I don't have the number, but I know it's been posted several times in this same thread. It is a 347 number. You should look at the old comments and call that 347 number to inquire.

I know the people processing the tenant selection were on site doing everything and of course potential tenant must pass background check, credit check, and so forth.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:45 PM

How are the amenities so far?
Concierge/Virtual Doorman Services.
Community Lounge with outdoor terrace (rooftop?)
Fitness room?
Parking

Old 11-07-2014, 04:47 PM

Thank you for all the info. Not sure where to send application from what im reading they changed Management Groups.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:13 PM

There's a security guard that works in the morning for 4 hours and then 4 hours in the evening. All they do is sit there and play with their smartphone all day. They don't accept packages and they do not sign for packages if UPS or FedEx approaches them asking them to sign.

I'm sure there will be a full-time doorman/concierge once the building is either completely filled or at least 95% filled. The lounge and gym aren't open yet and no one can enter them either. I think that'll be up and running once the building is 95% full because they seem to not want to have those amenities up and running unless there is enough people utilizing them. I'm sure they'll be a concierge to sign for packages once its at 95% capacity. Also, the top 2 floors are rentals charging from $4,000.00 to $5,500.00 a month and for those prices, full service amenities are required and those tenants must be allowed to have pets if they are paying high sky prices. Otherwise, they might as well go rent in the neighboring buildings that are offering more for less.

On top of that, 90% of the building is a middle income lottery so I don't know anybody who would want to spend $5,500.00 on rent when everyone else in the building is paying $2,100.00 and under for the exact same thing. Why pay an extra 3K plus for the exact same thing? There is going to be nothing but tension and maybe even some hatred where social class will come into play.

I think you should apply to the Hunters Point lottery just for fun to see if you get called. Who knows where you'll be financially in 2015 when they finally start tenant selections. Also try for the new Astoria low/middle income lottery. It's the next best thing and just as close to Manhattan.

Virtual doorman is a joke because no one is home to buzz them in and the package area requires access that I doubt UPS or FedEx have access to.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the info, Im sure when more people move in it will be running smoother.

Unfortunately Hunters point is out of the question. Im in a union my salary will be consistent with 80%AMI. What is the new Astoria lottery your speaking of?

I'm still going to put my application in but have to find out where to send it. I'll send one to the Bronx Pro Group then I will contact the Office Monday. They will put my application aside for the future when somebody decides to move out. Helps that I have CB Preference, maybe I can get lucky and they will consider me for an empty studio since 50% have to be CB preference .

Old 11-08-2014, 12:40 PM

I wish you luck.

There is a new Astoria mega complex in development for 2015. I doubt it'll be finished in 2015, but 30% of the units will be for low/middle income. It is supposed to be this huge complex with a mall, bike strip and everything. The true works.

Q41 is having an open house every weekend for the next few weeks, but these are for the remaining units that are going at market rate which is insanely overpriced. Anyways, maybe you should stop by and check it out so you can get a vibe of the building? Anyone can stop by and see them. No appointment needed.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:59 PM

28 posts, read 59,512 times
I went to submit paperwork in December of last yr. Then I heard nothing back and I never contacted them. I wasn't at all interested in paying the higher bracket rent.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:08 PM

I understand where you are coming from. There was only 12 units to give away at the lower prices and I wish I was one of the lucky few who got one of them. From my understanding, all those lower priced units are on specific floors or don't have a view of anything but I could be wrong.

The lower price units were the real bargains and to me felt like affordable living with a way to save money. Saving money in NYC is no easy task. But if you got called in December 2013 then I'm sure you would have been selected for the lower price units.

Lucky for me, it was selected lottery individuals like yourself that lost interest and because of that I was able to get a call to come in and become an actual lottery winner. I feel very blessed so I cannot throw stones. I wish everyone else out there that applies to these affordable housing lotteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery