Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM

93 posts, read 248,684 times

Advertisements

Thanks for posting that articles Link, Mumze. If your referring to "jeff" comment in the article, Yes, I made some comment to that effect on a earlier page of this Forum. I have heard that from Others. All I can say is if you met all the criteria, fight for your Rights. A call to the Lawyers for the Creative Arts can help if you run into legal issues. And they don't charge much to Performing Artists. I went to them once and was only charged $40 to handle something for me. Also, I bet a mandatory audit by the Mayor, to see whos getting an apt in this Building, might help dispell/put the cabash on this rumor of Related's friends & relatives getting into this building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 04:52 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HangingByaThread View Post
Thanks for posting that articles Link, Mumze. If your referring to "jeff" comment in the article, Yes, I made some comment to that effect on a earlier page of this Forum. I have heard that from Others. All I can say is if you met all the criteria, fight for your Rights. A call to the Lawyers for the Creative Arts can help if you run into legal issues. And they don't charge much to Performing Artists. I went to them once and was only charged $40 to handle something for me. Also, I bet a mandatory audit by the Mayor, to see whos getting an apt in this Building, might help dispell/put the cabash on this rumor of Related's friends & relatives getting into this building.
" CAN CREATION AND PRESERVATION GOALS BE MET?
With the combination of rent increases and job losses, Bob Kalin has noticed clinical depression surfacing among community residents. “If you came here as a young person to make your career, it’s very hard to give that up,” he says. “Sometimes I have to sit someone down and say, ‘You can get mad at me if you want, but the bottom line is you cannot afford New York. You can continue to struggle here and get in worse shape mentally or you can just accept it and move on.’ It’s definitely a hard aspect of what’s happening.”

excerpt from: Number Crunching at the Core of Affordable Housing Squeeze | chelseanow.com

Bamn! There it is! There right up in there is the truth as painful as it may be for some to digest.

There is *NO* way NYC is going to be able to cajole, bribe, force, or otherwise developers to build the vast numbers of "affordable low income" housing just to meet current needs, let alone what is coming down the pike for future. As the employment market and nature of demographics change the numbers of those unable to afford housing in NYC is only going to increase.

As for NYC going it alone, well you only have to look at NYCHA to see what a mess that idea has become.

Long story short many, many, many persons would be better off if they just made their minds up to the fact they cannot afford to live in NYC and acted upon that thought.

Right now the NYC real estate market is booming in large part because of luxury and high end housing. To get that build developers are willing (for now at least) to go along with the City's ever increasing progressing housing demands. But make no mistake sooner or later as all real estate booms go in NYC this too will end. If developers do not build then so goes de Blasio's/ the City's carrot and stick approach to creating "affordable" housing.

Meanwhile NYC's solid middle class who would be classified as upper middle to wealthy anywhere else are waking up to that fact and making tracks. As that demographic departs you'll be left with a city made up of pretty much the poor and very wealthy. Problem is the latter have greater mobility than the former. If things don't go the way they like there is always NJ, Conn, Westchester, etc....

Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 PM

62 posts, read 140,671 times
Hey BugsyPal,

That's a different conversation. We were discussing the rumors that Related give their affordable apartments to friends and family. There's very limited affordable housing in NYC but these developers get tax breaks and special deals for their luxury developments in exchange for providing some affordable housing! This is not a favor on the part of the developer, it's a struck deal. And so... the community that these apartments are build for want to make certain that these apartments are going to the people who applied for and qualify for them.

It's not your place to tell anyone to move out of the city. Some people have built their lives here.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:20 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MumzE View Post
Hey BugsyPal,

That's a different conversation. We were discussing the rumors that Related give their affordable apartments to friends and family. There's very limited affordable housing in NYC but these developers get tax breaks and special deals for their luxury developments in exchange for providing some affordable housing! This is not a favor on the part of the developer, it's a struck deal. And so... the community that these apartments are build for want to make certain that these apartments are going to the people who applied for and qualify for them.

It's not your place to tell anyone to move out of the city. Some people have built their lives here.
One, the quote came from a link posted by another up thread. That introduction therefore makes the link and or it's content therefore totally fair game.

Second, the quote merely restates the advice of a professional who is paid to do community work for housing, therefore one must assume *HE* must know what he is talking about.

Finally this is a public forum and have the same rights as you or anyone else for that matter to express an opinion.

Should also like to say it is rather ironic that those pushing for "inclusive" and or "affordable low income housing" seem to exempt their demands/requests from the "no one has the right to tell anyone where to live" line.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 PM

BugsyPal,

You are in serious need of comprehension skills. You'd obviously spin in circles and argue with yourself in the mirror.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:42 PM

36 posts, read 85,765 times
I'm getting a feeling that things may be moving forward. I got an email from my case worker today with a letter (a copy of which was also mailed) that asked for an explanation for basically every deposit in my checking accounts that was not a direct deposit from an employer or NYS Unemployment. They even highlighted a random $2.00 deposit I made at one point as one of the items that needs an explanation. A lot of these were either transfers between accounts for bill/rent paying purposes, and the 1099 fees that were hard checks and not direct deposits, so I'm not worried that any of these are going to count against me as unreported income, since they do have the check stubs for those 1099 payments. So, like I said, hopefully this means they are getting ready to do final approvals and lease offerings!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:28 PM

93 posts, read 248,684 times
BugsyPal, yeah MumZe is right. Your going off on a different conversation. We all get it's expensive to live in NYC, that's why moving into 529 is SO important for us Artists, who are not big money making big wigs. Maybe start a new Thread on the whole Have's &Have Nots? Or, maybe befriend Ol' Joe. He'd prolly be a good person to bounce your thoughts off of.
BABENS: umm, sounds more like instead of "moving forward", it's more like a small red flag has been put on your file. Not trying to hurt or scare you, but, yeah, if you got a lot of cash deposits, I think they just want to make sure you don't have some side business going on, or a stand at a flea market selling stuff, etc..

Old 08-22-2014, 11:39 PM

36 posts, read 85,765 times
Like I said, I'm not worried, because it's all either documented 1099 stuff that just wasn't direct deposit, transfers between accounts, and an inheritance from my grandmother's estate from when she passed this spring. The reason I'm guessing it means a move forward is because the wording in the letter makes it clear that they've begun doing some heavy processing of my file.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:14 PM

Hi Babens,

I hope that's the case! Good luck!

Old 08-23-2014, 11:21 PM

26 posts, read 96,553 times
Babens, it's not a red flag of any kind, it's procedure. They did the same thing to me months ago: it's bureaucracy. They asked for an accounting of a few measly checks. You explain, it's over. It's not a moving forward but it's nothing to concern yourself with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery