Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 PM

18 posts, read 49,295 times

Advertisements

Inside the studio so far...lovely place with kind folks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 PM

40 posts, read 61,797 times
Default Heat/Thermostat issues???

Is anyone having issues with the heat??? I have set the thermostat to 80 and even 85 degrees, but we never feel that it is warming up. They have come to look at it and say it works properly, but I don't feel that it is. We never feel really warm air coming out of the vents no matter how high the temperature is set. Was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. What do you keep your thermostats on and do you feel that it is warm in your apartments? Thank you for your responses.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 PM

n1ne
Glad you are finally in. Nice description : ) Enjoy it!

Old 01-29-2015, 07:14 PM

125 posts, read 229,220 times
I got approved for an apartment! Thank God! I sign the lease tomorrow!!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:04 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,671 times
The apartment is cute.

Does the building have a gym?

Do all apartments have a balcony?

Old 01-29-2015, 08:17 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,772,243 times
NYC Connect;

You may want to read your lease that covers submeters. According to what's on the the net, the building is set to push a certain amount of heat through the vents. So basically the heat will feel cool. The thermostat is a one size fits all and is disabled from giving you more heat than the building already supplies. So setting it to 85 will do nothing.

Quote:
A supplemental electric heating coil will be
available to provide heat during the spring and fall when the system is in the cooling
mode as an option for residents who may want supplemental heat. The supplemental
coil is automatically disabled when the system is in the heating mode.
http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/C...0A7D5165B12%7D

(pdf will download to your computer)

Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,671 times
I'm so jealous. I wish I had a 2 bedroom in that building.

Everyone wants to pay what you guys are paying in rent.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:39 PM

Pruzhany
Thank you for responding. I tried several times to go to the site you supplied, but it won't let me. Keeps saying server error. Is this site listed in the part of the lease that covers submeters? Any suggestions on another way I can get in to it? It's interesting the way you are explaining it because as you said, setting it to 85 will do nothing. I think the highest the temperature has ever read was 77 degrees even when I had it set to 85. The problem is that it doesnt feel 77 degrees, even when it reads 77 degrees. It feels chilli. More like 70 or 72 degrees. The only place we feel heat is from that vent in the bathroom that you can turn on and off. And in the hallway outside the apartment...the hallway is always toasty. So the building sets a number limit and no ones vents will blow out anything hotter than that number?? And please explain to me why you are saying the heat will feel cool, because that is exactly how it feels. The air blowing out of the vents, always has a coolish breeze to it. It's a little crazy. The guys that made the units, Trayne? even came to a few apartments to check, but they put their thermometer to the vents and it said that the air coming out was like 96 degrees. Didn't feel like any 96 degrees I know! So...I love the apartment, but this is a little hard to deal with.
P.S. How is your apartment with the heat? What do you keep your thermostat on? Thank you

Old 01-30-2015, 03:44 PM

Searching4ARainbow
Congratulations! Nice you finally found out. The waiting was so stressful... Good luck. I'm sure you will like it here.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:46 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,772,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Connect View Post
Pruzhany
Thank you for responding. I tried several times to go to the site you supplied, but it won't let me. Keeps saying server error. Is this site listed in the part of the lease that covers submeters? Any suggestions on another way I can get in to it? It's interesting the way you are explaining it because as you said, setting it to 85 will do nothing. I think the highest the temperature has ever read was 77 degrees even when I had it set to 85. The problem is that it doesn't feel 77 degrees, even when it reads 77 degrees. It feels chilli. More like 70 or 72 degrees. The only place we feel heat is from that vent in the bathroom that you can turn on and off. And in the hallway outside the apartment...the hallway is always toasty. So the building sets a number limit and no ones vents will blow out anything hotter than that number?? And please explain to me why you are saying the heat will feel cool, because that is exactly how it feels. The air blowing out of the vents, always has a coolish breeze to it. It's a little crazy. The guys that made the units, Trayne? even came to a few apartments to check, but they put their thermometer to the vents and it said that the air coming out was like 96 degrees. Didn't feel like any 96 degrees I know! So...I love the apartment, but this is a little hard to deal with.
P.S. How is your apartment with the heat? What do you keep your thermostat on? Thank you
Don't know why it's not working for you in your computer. It may be blocked by your computer or your ISP. But it works me in another state. The case number for it "CASE 13-E-0102" dated July 2, 2013 at STATE OF NEW YORK DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SERVICE (don't mind the caps as I'm doing copy & paste directly from the document).

I actually took the time to research Macedonia Plaza Development LLC to locate the documents they have on file with NYS rather than their own website. It took me all of 15 minutes to find the documents.
Here is another link to the document (7/31/2013):
NYSDPS-DMM: Matter Master

This is the only pertinent section related to you in the entire document.

Quote:
The building will utilize a computer controlled energy management system consisting
of a boiler, chiller, cogeneration plant and HVAC systems. A boiler plant, consisting
of three natural gas fired boilers, will provide heat to the residential units while the
chiller plant will provide cooling. Heating and cooling will be provided through a
two-pipe vertical fan coil system. A supplemental electric heating coil will be
available to provide heat during the spring and fall when the system is in the cooling
mode as an option for residents who may want supplemental heat. The supplemental
coil is automatically disabled when the system is in the heating mode.
Just research Heat Pumps for houses and it'll explain how the system works and why the colder it is outside the colder it will feel in the home. The system will not evenly heat the apartment. The best you'll get on average is around 72. The only thing it may control, of you have one, is the fan. The thermostat per the document is deactivated during the winter (so if I guess that if you set it to 68, it will not make a difference). Depending on how the building was designed, usually the lower floors will have stronger heat flow than the upper floors. Also depending on how the heating enters the apartment which is usually one entry point with multiple vents ( so if you want better heating in another room, there should (might) be a switch on the side of the vent to cut the airflow off), the closest vent will have the best heat and the furthest vent will have the worst. Thus one room will feel warmer than another room. If you want a room to feel warmer, then remove CFL light bulbs and replace them with glass light bulbs and add a warm air 2 gallon humidifier.

As to your PS, I no longer live in NYC. My lottery coop took six years until I got an apartment numerous decades ago and I left NYC 22 years ago. I now have a house that is computer controlled. So while my thermostat is set to 72, I can electronically shut off vents. Each room has a thermometer so my central panel shows me the temperature in each zone (room). So as I come to the end to this response it is currently 21 outside, my coldest room is 68 and my warmest room is 80 (this is with CFLs and no humidifier).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery