Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 01:52 PM

92 posts, read 78,477 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was wondering. What would happen if you started making more income (moving you outside of your AMI) after you signed your lease? Has anyone experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 01:55 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,397,082 times
Nothing will happen. HPD is not obligated to check on your income to make sure you stay in the AMI bracket for as long as you live in your unit. Once you are approved you are good. Your rent is only subject to change based on rent stabilization increase regulated by the state depending on if you signed a 1 or 2 year lease.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 1,442,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpower View Post
Hi. I was wondering. What would happen if you started making more income (moving you outside of your AMI) after you signed your lease? Has anyone experienced this?
Depending on what tax program your building is under, you may or may not have to recertify your income yearly. This is for the building to keep getting their tax credits. Regardless, as was already said, your income can go up or down and your rent will stay stabilized and you won't be forced to move.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:27 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Nothing will happen. HPD is not obligated to check on your income to make sure you stay in the AMI bracket for as long as you live in your unit. Once you are approved you are good. Your rent is only subject to change based on rent stabilization increase regulated by the state depending on if you signed a 1 or 2 year lease.
That is not entirely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Depending on what tax program your building is under, you may or may not have to recertify your income yearly. This is for the building to keep getting their tax credits. Regardless, as was already said, your income can go up or down and your rent will stay stabilized and you won't be forced to move.
This is correct.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:05 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,397,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
That is not entirely true.

This is correct.
To my understanding if you are in a rent stabilized building your landlord cannot come and check your income and increase your rent based on your increase on income.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:06 PM

603 posts, read 599,759 times
Quote:
To my understanding if you are in a rent stabilized building your landlord cannot come and check your income and increase your rent based on your increase on income.
This is right.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:53 PM

Quote:
It’s true they won’t/can’t change your rent (aside from the RS allowance) but some buildings can and do require you to recently your income yearly. Recertification is not the same as re-qualifying, although the process is similar. This is a requirement for some types of tax programs the buildings are in and you making more than your original AMI may mean they no longer get the tax benefits for your unit and will generally have to follow the next-available rule to make a different unit available at your original AMI. But as you and I both said, your rent won’t leave the RS program and you won’t be forced to move. So you are correct they can’t raise your rent for making too much but some buildings can and do “check” your income (recertification).

Old 05-01-2022, 03:32 AM

92 posts, read 78,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
It’s true they won’t/can’t change your rent (aside from the RS allowance) but some buildings can and do require you to recently your income yearly. Recertification is not the same as re-qualifying, although the process is similar. This is a requirement for some types of tax programs the buildings are in and you making more than your original AMI may mean they no longer get the tax benefits for your unit and will generally have to follow the next-available rule to make a different unit available at your original AMI. But as you and I both said, your rent won’t leave the RS program and you won’t be forced to move. So you are correct they can’t raise your rent for making too much but some buildings can and do “check” your income (recertification).
Wow, this is really interesting. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-01-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpower View Post
Wow, this is really interesting. Thanks for the info.
No worries. Having to recertify is typically for lower-income AMIs due to the tax programs they are in. I know bc I live in a lotto apartment I won in 2019 at 60% AMI and I have had to recertify yearly. I lost a job due to COVID in 2020 so my income went way down, and I was also in grad school and now I'm in 130% AMI so obviously my income went way up. I've had to prove my income each year but my rent has been the same since 2019 due to an initial 2-year lease and then the rent freeze last year, ie. I'm still fully in RS and nothing has changed for me.

Old 05-01-2022, 03:11 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,837,173 times
I just received a lease renewal notification from my landlord/building management asking a year or two-year. They sent me a bunch of paperwork to sign but nothing related to income recertification request. I won my unit at 120% AMI in a 421-a tax break 80/20 building & I had my salary increased a few months after I signed my initial lease.

Last edited by someoneinqueens; 05-01-2022 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: