Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:10 PM

24 posts, read 22,229 times

Advertisements

If someone signs a lease on 8/6 and the tenant wants the apt and is happy to pay for august, the lease signing date would be 8/6 with a beginning date of 8/1? Any issues with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 04:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglers View Post
...signing date would be 8/6 with a beginning date of 8/1?
Any issues with that?
Any issues for who?

Why can't you sign on/before the 1st?
An do you have CASH required to make it happen (now)?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:04 PM

24 posts, read 22,229 times
I am actually asking from the Landlords point of view, if there are issues, it seems strange to have a lease date that is later than the beginning date of the lease, would that make the lease invalid?

Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,235,146 times
Don't see why it would be invalid. It would be stupid for a tenant to take responsibility for paying rent before they take possession though. Just date it the day they take possession, why even worry about it.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 PM

7,039 posts, read 6,289,652 times
For my apartment in Minnesota even though I wasn't moving in until after the first, they insisted the lease had to start on the first. I didn't argue because it was a senior building & the only opening.

If a person wants the apartment I would think they would be willing to pay from the first. I could have argued the point but chose not to.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglers View Post
If someone signs a lease on 8/6 and the tenant wants the apt and is happy to pay for august, the lease signing date would be 8/6 with a beginning date of 8/1? Any issues with that?
You have a rental to lease starting August 1st & and this potential tenant can't move in or sign the lease until 8/6?

In my opinion?

Send this person the lease tomorrow. Scan it in & email to him/her. Ask for it to be signed & returned, with full security, by the beginning of next week.

If you aren't? Keep advertising and showing the rental until you have both from this person (or someone else). Let this person know that you will be doing so as well. First come with signatures on the lease/info checked & security deposit, first served.

My leases start June 1st. I have tenants who won't move in until August (students who move home for the summer). Some of those leases were signed back in November & I collect full security at the same time.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
From a contract point of view, retro contracts are just a part of the business world. Happens all the time for a host of reasons. Very normal.

As for concerns, so long as both parties live up to the agreed terms and conditions from the commencement date to the signing date, your good. But if either sides decided to play game, you may find you have a piece of paper that is of no help.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:34 AM

486 posts, read 415,719 times
I'm still having an issue figuring out why this would happen. Why would you get money and give someone a key to move in August 1st but not have a signed lease until August 6th? We wouldn't let anyone have a unit until we have a paid, signed lease. If they haven't signed it, they don't get it. If they don't sign until August 6th, they don't get it until August 6th. I'm guessing there is something funny going on, and you never want to get involved with anything that isn't kosher.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:14 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
The only problem I see is that they have asked you to hold the unit but haven't signed anything or paid anything. There is no reason for them to show up if they change their mind.

But yes, you can have them start the lease on the first and not sign until the 6th. Put the first as the start date, but put the actually date in the line that gives the date they signed.

I am assuming you know to not give them possession until all money's are paid and all paper work signed?

Old 07-13-2018, 07:28 PM

784 posts, read 728,633 times
I get $1,000 when I get an application. Plus $40 for each adult.

A lease can start 8/6, and paid from 8/1, no problem. Better yet, just start the lease on 8/1, and they move in on 8/6. If you are getting rent from two tenants from 8/1 to 8/6, that's a no-go. Only one rent for each apartment, no double dipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting