Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:40 PM

64 posts, read 85,142 times

Advertisements

Just want to blow off a little steam here. All or most of these so called affordable apartments ARE NOT affordable...unless of course you make south of 30K. Sorry I'm just gainfully employed, not on assistance on any kind and try to pay bills on time. These income limits are ridiculous and with only one affordable building in my CB my log numbers are 50,xxx. UGH when are they going to start looking out for folks in the middle class. I mean all this low income housing is great but let's be for real the middle class are the ones that keep the city going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 12:53 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,472,948 times
Other area of the country are much more affordable, maybe a change of latitude would do you good!

Old 09-29-2016, 02:11 PM

4,797 posts, read 6,631,749 times
We desperately need something like the Mitchell-Lama program of yore.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,540,205 times
OK - I've been reading some of the "affordable housing lottery" threads. And had some questions. This seems like a good thread to ask them. How do these lotteries work? I realize "local locals" get certain preferences (can't comment how sensible that is - because I don't know how "local locals" are defined) - but what's the deal with income limits? I've read some newspaper/similar articles about how the developers of luxury housing get certain deals if they set aside some units for "low income" people - although there is sometimes controversy about whether the "low income" people get access to the same amenities as the "rich people" in the buildings. Don't know if this is true or not. If someone could explain things to me - more or less in a nutshell - I would appreciate it. Robyn

P.S. My poor brother in Arizona was going broke trying to support one of my nieces in NYC (she was earning about $60k/year). Now he is going broke trying to support her in Los Angeles <sigh>.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:01 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,263,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
P.S. My poor brother in Arizona was going broke trying to support one of my nieces in NYC (she was earning about $60k/year). Now he is going broke trying to support her in Los Angeles <sigh>.
Well if he was supporting her and going broke when she was making 60K a year then neither of then are good with money. I make less than 30K a year and support myself just fine. I don't get any help or government assistance either. I just don't spend beyond my means and live in a neighborhood where rents are still some what affordable. Sure there are some luxuries I can not afford but in all in all I have a blessed life.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,866,838 times
I totally agree with you, there are a LOT of units set aside for people making 38K and under (that seems to be the sweet spot for the truly affordable apartments), but look at what employers are paying these days. Look at what starting cops/teachers/EMT make in this city. We WANT to keep them in the city. Just keep applying, there are many lotteries. Some of them are for people making 100K! :!

Old 09-29-2016, 05:21 PM

64 posts, read 85,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Other area of the country are much more affordable, maybe a change of latitude would do you good!
I don't mind the change of latitude but it shouldn't be because I can't afford to live someplace where my job, family, friends and my life are.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:47 PM

4,797 posts, read 6,631,749 times
Robyn, do a search here on this forum and you will find lots and lots of threads about the 80/20 lotteries. The lotteries talked about here are for New York City residents.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:12 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,866,838 times
quote:

Just saw that. Sorry, that sounds like someone with a drug problem or some other major issue. or someone wanting to live way way way way above their means in the prime areas of manhattan or brooklyn. (even then, how does someone go broke subsidizing someone who is already making 60K?) that's shady and has nothing to do with the affordable housing crisis in NYC.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:31 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,888,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
OK - I've been reading some of the "affordable housing lottery" threads. And had some questions. This seems like a good thread to ask them. How do these lotteries work? I realize "local locals" get certain preferences (can't comment how sensible that is - because I don't know how "local locals" are defined) - but what's the deal with income limits?
Income limits are defined as a percentage of the population below an areas median income level. In a rich neighborhood, the areas median income level is going to be extremely high in comparison to the majority of the city therefore allowing people who would normally not qualify as being poor in the ghetto qualify for being poor in a rich neighborhood. In addition, rents are set at an outdated model being as it doesn't account for how expensive the city has become (especially taxes). At 30-35% of gross annual wages, you will easily become rent burden once you factor federal, state, city, sale taxes that come with living in NYC (so to some people it doesn't feel like it is really affordable to them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery