Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 07:37 AM

207 posts, read 262,333 times

Advertisements

I notice few of the listing mentions "Rent includes gas for cooking" and some " Rent includes gas, heat and hot water." If it doesn't mention heat and hot water do I have to pay for it as a tenant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 07:43 AM

644 posts, read 734,704 times
If it doesn’t mention it it’s cause you have to pay it most likely. Some listings only says “tenant is responsible for electricity “ but what they don’t tell you is that you pay for electricity including electric stove and heat, and sometimes even hot water is part of the electric bill

Old 07-12-2022, 07:57 AM

207 posts, read 262,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayCat1995 View Post
If it doesn’t mention it it’s cause you have to pay it most likely. Some listings only says “tenant is responsible for electricity “ but what they don’t tell you is that you pay for electricity including electric stove and heat, and sometimes even hot water is part of the electric bill
Thank you!

Old 07-12-2022, 08:18 AM

26 posts, read 17,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyLife2 View Post
I notice few of the listing mentions "Rent includes gas for cooking" and some " Rent includes gas, heat and hot water." If it doesn't mention heat and hot water do I have to pay for it as a tenant?
Heat and hot water have NEVER been a thing I've had to pay as part of rent. Its not mentioned because, I'm 99.9% sure, its always included in the rent.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:27 AM

644 posts, read 734,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire1122 View Post
Heat and hot water have NEVER been a thing I've had to pay as part of rent. Its not mentioned because, I'm 99.9% sure, its always included in the rent.
It has become increasingly common for heat and hot water to be part of the electric bill in all of these new buildings, you don't pay it separately because everything is becoming electric. Last 2 places I saw didn't mention that in the listing, I had to ask the agent. If It doesn't say it, I would just go to the viewing and hopefully it's included but be ready to hear that.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:33 AM

3,135 posts, read 2,729,934 times
I've never rented at a place in NYC that didn't include heat/hot water, but I guess you should ask.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:39 AM

136 posts, read 116,317 times
You would be surprised how that is showing up more often. I remember when I was looking for a place and I saw that, so I asked the agent and thy were like you have to pay for your head and hot water as well as electricity I was like huh? it was like another $300 on top of the rent in the wintertime. So it never hurts to ask. This was not a lottery apartment it was an a small older building so this is not a new thing it is just showing up more often

Old 07-12-2022, 09:48 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,445,650 times
I'd be really surprised to hear if anyone has to pay for hot water in the sense that people in the suburbs get a "water bill". I live in a new, all electric, lotto building now and my heat/AC is one unit through the wall and technically I pay for heat if/when I have the fan part on in the winter and warm air comes out bc that's using electricity. I don't think they have a way for you to pay for the hot water separately because that would require each unit to have it's own hot water heater and that can't be cost-effective in these larger buildings, maybe in a duplex.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:52 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,033,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
I'd be really surprised to hear if anyone has to pay for hot water in the sense that people in the suburbs get a "water bill". I live in a new, all electric, lotto building now and my heat/AC is one unit through the wall and technically I pay for heat if/when I have the fan part on in the winter and warm air comes out bc that's using electricity. I don't think they have a way for you to pay for the hot water separately because that would require each unit to have it's own hot water heater and that can't be cost-effective in these larger buildings, maybe in a duplex.
It's still not too common, but I notice in more and more floor plans for apartments in new buildings that there are individual water heaters tucked away in a closet somewhere.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:53 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
Yes, many new buildings have individual HVAC units in each room, which are electric. The tenant pays for that. Landlords love this because the residents control the temperature and can’t complain that it’s too cold in the winter. The landlord just needs to keep the units in good repair. The cost of hot water is another thing that landlords are passing along to residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery