Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2023, 08:40 PM

52 posts, read 48,449 times

Advertisements

I am moving out of my lottery but when I first moved in I was told I was able move out I was to leave my apartment to a family member. Now the management company is saying that I cannot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 08:49 PM

93 posts, read 73,467 times
To my knowledge, lottery apartmrnts cannot be passed down

Old 09-05-2023, 09:58 PM

248 posts, read 219,371 times
If that family member was on the lease when you entered or if you add that member later on then it can be pass to that person but if they weren’t on the lease then it cannot be passed down

Old 09-06-2023, 12:42 AM

105 posts, read 88,426 times
As far as I know, you would have had to have a family member living there for at least 2 years as their primary address in order to pass it to them. This applied to my grandmother’s rent stabilized apartment. Some places would require that person to be on the lease as well.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:10 AM

603 posts, read 598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantmom View Post
As far as I know, you would have had to have a family member living there for at least 2 years as their primary address in order to pass it to them. This applied to my grandmother’s rent stabilized apartment. Some places would require that person to be on the lease as well.
Yup, this is what I read as well.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:14 AM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Read your lease. If you are rent stabilized, as you probably are, there will be a "rider" at the end of your lease that's a couple of pages long. In there you will find information on succession. I don't have my lease in front of me, but I looked at it when I signed it a few weeks ago, and I recall seeing that information.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:59 AM

79 posts, read 66,469 times
As others have said if your apartment is rent-stabilized then you do in fact have succession rights. You can find out more about that here with this fact sheet from housing:

https://hcr.ny.gov/system/files/docu...30-11-2019.pdf

Old 09-06-2023, 01:15 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlane11 View Post
As others have said if your apartment is rent-stabilized then you do in fact have succession rights. You can find out more about that here with this fact sheet from housing:

https://hcr.ny.gov/system/files/docu...30-11-2019.pdf
This is helpful. Read it. Then call 311. You want guidance from professionals not anonymous posters. There are tenant advocate groups, try contacting one of them.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:56 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDel1994 View Post
I am moving out of my lottery but when I first moved in I was told I was able move out I was to leave my apartment to a family member. Now the management company is saying that I cannot.
First understand you cannot "leave" anything to anyone. Rental tenants including those in rent controlled units do not own anything to "leave" anyone else.

That being said for RS units as already noted under certain circumstances persons having lived in apartment may have rights to "succeed" to said apartment. For lottery units there *may* be more than normal RS regulations piled on depending upon specific building. This will be spelled out in original lease and or any attached riders.

As matter of form many LLs in NYC will contest succession applications simply because they can. The process is not automatic so there is room for a LL to make mischief if he so choses. This applies even post 2019 when new RS laws took much of incentive out of getting RS tenants out of their apartments.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:39 AM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
In a lottery building, unlike in the market, a landlord probably *can't* give the apartment to a family member unless they actually do have succession rights (which usually entails being on the lease or living in the apartment for a certain period of time). There will be a re-rental process for the general public. (A landlord in the market can, of course, rent to whom they choose within the limits of the law, so might be happy to have a new tenant move in without having to do any work to find them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery