Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 78,589 times

Advertisements

i was wondering what are the best and the worst nycha developments in the bronx....i currently live in the pelham parkway section of the bronx but i was recently accepted to nycha so i was wondering if anyone new of the best ones to choose because i have a 5yr old daughter and i want to make a good decision.
claremont
boston secor
gunhill rd
parkside
eachester gardens
bronxchester
sedgwick
throggsneck
university
mckinley
highbridge
ft. independence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Hey Quality...how long did it take you from your application to when you actually were awarded an apt? I have heard horror stories of years and years of waiting. How much did they estimate your rent to be?

Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 78,589 times
well lol i was pregnant with my five old daughter when i applied lol but know but i have a job with the city so i think it will be right at the cap.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM

172 posts, read 589,936 times
i was recently accepted to nycha and you might as well accept the fact that the best developments will not have any openings......i would have said to try castle hill houses because they have plenty of openings but they arent taking any more public housing residents....they're taking people with section 8 vouchers because the agency is so broke.......what helped me in making my decision is by going in person to any developments i wasnt familier with and walking threw on a friday or saturday evening to get a realistic feel of the place,(to see if people are hanging out or selling drugs or gang affliated) this will guage your comfort level and if your too afraid to do this then you cant move there

Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 AM

172 posts, read 589,936 times
if all the places you listed have openings try either eastchester gardens or bronxchester.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:24 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Among the lowest in terms of crime is right in your neighborhood: Pelham Parkway Houses. Also Marble Hill Houses isn't crime central either.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
One of the worst is Edenwald hands down. Also, add Webster, Morris, Butler, and Morrisania to the list.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM

59 posts, read 238,125 times
I agree with 7th flr Marble Hill Houses is defintely not crime central its pretty safe there Ft. Independence is cool too never heard anything negative about it. Dyckman Houses is also pretty safe.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:55 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Safer ones:

Castle Hill Houses
Dyckman Houses
Sedgwick Houses
Bailey Houses
Pelham Parkway Houses
Fort Independece Houses
Throggs Neck Houses

Dangerous:

Edenwald Houses
Mott Haven Houses
Patterson Houses
Mitchell Houses
Morris 1 & 2 Houses
Webster Houses
Butler Houses
Soundview Houses
Forrest Houses
Mckinley Houses

All are dangerous to a degree. Some more than others. There are a couple of other safer ones and a bunch more dangerous ones. All the projects in Brooklyn are bad.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Lets not forget about Adams houses, although in my personal opinion these are not very bad at all (on the border of Mott haven and Melrose)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery