Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 02:59 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,081,480 times

Advertisements

I live in San Francisco and have been planning on a move to NYC for a while, with a planned move in late August. My plan was to show up, get a short-term sublet, and pound the pavement looking for a job. I work as a clerk at a law firm and would be looking for similar work in NYC (though I'd be up for anything, it's just that the legal field is what I've been working in for 6 years) so I don't think it would be possible to get a job set up before I move there.

Anyway I have been pretty confident and the economy seemed to be doing ok for a while, but lately economic news just keeps getting worse. Bad unemployment numbers, low job growth, the Dow dropping badly all over the place.

Anyway I'm curious about the economic mood in NYC and what people who actually live there think about my chances and if they have any advice. I have enough money to survive without a job for probably 5 months but I don't really want to move there and then find there's no work and have to move in with my parents or whatever. Another option might be something like teaching English in some third world country but I dunno if I really want to do that.

I have a job which is something a lot of people can't say, but I'm pretty tired of SF and I don't want to put this off forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 04:05 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I live in San Francisco and have been planning on a move to NYC for a while, with a planned move in late August. My plan was to show up, get a short-term sublet, and pound the pavement looking for a job. I work as a clerk at a law firm and would be looking for similar work in NYC (though I'd be up for anything, it's just that the legal field is what I've been working in for 6 years) so I don't think it would be possible to get a job set up before I move there.

Anyway I have been pretty confident and the economy seemed to be doing ok for a while, but lately economic news just keeps getting worse. Bad unemployment numbers, low job growth, the Dow dropping badly all over the place.

Anyway I'm curious about the economic mood in NYC and what people who actually live there think about my chances and if they have any advice. I have enough money to survive without a job for probably 5 months but I don't really want to move there and then find there's no work and have to move in with my parents or whatever. Another option might be something like teaching English in some third world country but I dunno if I really want to do that.

I have a job which is something a lot of people can't say, but I'm pretty tired of SF and I don't want to put this off forever.
I"m tired of NYC, you wanna trade places?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 PM

244 posts, read 664,825 times
>> the economy seemed to be doing ok for a while . . .

If you have a job now, stay put.
What is so bad about where you are now? SF is beautiful, . . NYC is pretty ugly.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 PM

Ok let me lay it out a little to explain some of my incentive for moving out East.

I grew up in Florida and my parents still live there. From California it is 6+ hours to get there and quite expensive, and it gets so expensive around holiday times that between the price and conflicts with work I have only been home for Christmas once during the whole 6 years I have lived in SF, and I have never been able to go home for Thanksgiving. It was ok at first but by now it has really worn down on me. From NY it would be about a 2+ hour flight and still a little pricey but quite a bit cheaper and more doable in terms of the time frame.

Beyond that I really don't like the constant threat of earthquakes. By now I'm used to it but it would be nice to live somewhere that isn't constantly at threat of a massive deadly quake...of course I'd probably move to NYC and then suffer through some 9.0 once-in-a-lifetime NYC quake...

Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Someone at one of the huge, top NYC law firms told me in Feb. or March of this year that they used to hire 40 paralegals/legal assistants per year and that this year they hired only one. I am assuming by "this year" they meant academic year, since they generally have recruited legal assistants right out of college (probably top colleges) for a 2-year program at the firm.

I don't know what a law clerk does vs. paralegal/legal assistant, so I apologize if I am giving info that doesn't relate to your situation.

Also, maybe things have gotten better since February.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:52 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
The legal industry in New York retrenched significantly in the last year, like everyone else. It's starting to recover, but slowly.

Your problem isn't moving, but moving in August. Huge numbers of students, both recent grads and incoming freshmen, arrive in August. Also, many attorneys and business people go on vacation then. Business, and hiring, doesn't start up again until September.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Actually it would be the very last week of August that I would be moving.

When do most colleges in NYC start for fall? Here in California it's around late August but some start in early September.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 AM

118 posts, read 443,707 times
I'd be highly cautious before making any plans. I have experience as a paralegal (have certification from a top school, plus a bachelor's) and moved here from metro Detroit, seeking greener pastures. I am a waitress now six days a week. I interview when not busting my ass to make rent. The last interview was for a real estate firm last Thursday. They waited until during the interview to tell me the starting salary would be $18K with no health benefits. And they are not the exception.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:36 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,933 times
UI rate around here is still near 10%. No one is hiring. Do NOT come here without the guarantee of a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: