Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 PM

87 posts, read 256,778 times

Advertisements

I was selected for a position after being interviewed. Two weeks ago the employer gave me an appointment for paperwork and fingerprints. In this appointment I filled out many forms including direct deposit, W4, I9, and provided with supporting documentation about my education and employment references.This time also the employer collected a processing fee for fingerprints before starting to check employment references.

During the past two weeks I sent my transcripts and additional letters of personal references as well. However, the position is still being advertised as available with a new opening date every week. Three days ago I called the employer to check my status. Allegedly everything is okay but they are having a hard time collecting back the reference forms from two of my previous employers. Only one employer sent back the form.

I decided that it would be a good idea to collaborate between both parties in order to make easier the process... so I have calling both parties, doing follow up, sending e-mails and doing my best effort.

I do not know what think about this. Is it a common practice to hire an applicant, collect money for fingerprints without checking first employment references?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:14 AM

13 posts, read 47,465 times
it's scummy at best...scammy at worst

Old 07-21-2010, 02:04 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Why would you have to pay a fee if they want to hire you? That's part of a background investigation that one would only use on a candidate who is under serious consideration for the position, costs that are not generally placed upon the job seeker.

Do they have more than one position available, and perhaps that is why you are still seeing the ad?

Do you know people at your former employers who can attest whether or not they have received the form from the prospective employer? You could always call them to find out to whom they should address the form, as companies do change. Then, you can call back the prospective employer and tell them to send the fax to a specific person.

Good luck.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-21-2010, 03:29 AM

1. Do they have more than one position available, and perhaps that is why you are still seeing the ad?
  2. Do you know people at your former employers who can attest whether or not they have received the form from the prospective employer?
  3. You could always call them to find out to whom they should address the form, as companies do change. Then, you can call back the prospective employer and tell them to send the fax to a specific person.
ANSWERS:
  1. They do have more than one position available under the same job title but... every position has a specific id number. The one for which I applied for is still advertised as available every week with a diferent opening date.
  2. People from my former employers told me that they received by fax the reference form asking for an unknown employee. When I knew it, I called the prospective employer to correct it and asked to resend the fax.
  3. I do know that companies do change so I called every of my past employers in order to confirm who to contact with for employment verifications. I have evidence of all my e-mails to the prospective employer telling to address the fax to a specific person.
For me it is still a questionable practice to collect a fingerprint fee before checking references in first place. I really feel like robbed!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:47 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmover View Post
For me it is still a questionable practice to collect a fingerprint fee before checking references in first place. I really feel like robbed!
I can understand that, since it seems like you are getting the runaround.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-26-2010, 07:33 PM

After two and a half waiting weeks I was informed by the employer that the recruitment process will not proceed. The employer declined to offer reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City