Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 PM

11 posts, read 35,749 times

Advertisements

I recently had a good friend, transfer from Queens, NY and moved to Dallas, TX. I visited him a few times with my wife. And I am jealous. He has a very much clean life & affordable for himself and his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:48 PM

11 posts, read 48,285 times
I have family in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I love it down there. People up here might say Texans are more openly racist, but that was not my experience. It's 2010, and the Texans I know have modern perspectives. Of course, there is racism there and everywhere else (including NY/NJ), but I haven't experienced much, if any of it, in Texas. Dallas has great food and an awesome nightlife/bar scene IMO.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 AM

624 posts, read 906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can't, either, but then again I live in New Jersey and can't believe all the stupid things people believe about my home state, so I guess it's highly possible!
I have driven through NJ twice on my way to NYC and stayed with friends relatives in Murry Hill, NJ. The state looked fine to me I don't understand why it gets picked on either, I think it's mostly by New Yorkers.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:50 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
This was my impression as well. I've travelled through much of the eastern/southern US and sadly find a lot of it to be interchangable. One of the reasons New York City has such a fascination for so many people is the sense of place, walkability and lack of suburban sprawl.
Well said.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:32 PM

20 posts, read 57,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Im not sure how I feel about your response… A lot of the time it really did seem like a lot/almost all of New Yorkers have attitudes similar like us when I lived there but when Im on city-data for example or talking to certain people, it just doesn’t feel like it and it is how you said it is like. It really depends on the moment.

It kind of depresses me a bit. I really want to be the type that loves NYC while loving other places too and feel like that’s completely natural. So I guess I’ll continue to have that attitude and be proud of it.

I agree there is a great big world out there. Its definitely not just New York City. Honestly, everyone should have attitudes like us what matter how much someone loves NYC because there really is a lot of great cities and great places out there. So many different countries and regions in the world. NYC is not the only place that offers positive things. Every place on Earth matters. This is EXACTLY how the United Nations “feels†and I think (if the United Nations was a person of course ) would want all people to feel similarly as we do. And as you probably know, the United Nations is in New York City.

I would like to live and try out NYC again out one day. I guess you are right that I shouldn’t care so much how others think in some ways. Everyone has their different perspectives on things. And it would be nice for NYC to have another person like me in it with those attitudes.
You know, this whole conversation between you and Nala8's been bugging the crap out of me, and I couldn't put my finger on it until this post. Neither of you are special, unique snowflakes. Many, many New Yorkers (including those of us who were born and raised here) manage to find things to love about other places. Plenty of us have been to other cities besides Miami and Orlando, including, gasp, outside the US. We might even have enjoyed ourselves there. The two ideas aren't mutually exclusive, you do realize? One can travel all over the world, find a multitude of great things about other places and still come to the conclusion that New York is still the only place you'd want to live. Is this really that difficult a concept? People have different preferences and different ideas about what's ideal in terms of places to live or play. Regardless of your preferences or opinions, NY is pretty unique as American cities go, there really is no other place in the country like it, for good or for ill. There are places that have similar individual qualities, but nowhere else where this kind of mix exists, with this kind of energy (again, the good with the bad). But there are unique aspects about a lot of cities. Every city has its own personality. And everyone has their own ideas of what "quality of life" really means to them, as well as must-haves and dealbreakers.

Point blank I could ditch about 80% of the US for the reasons yodel stated. I was born and raised in NYC (it's right there in my handle), and did the suburban sprawl thing in the Phoenix metro area. That right there is my idea of Hell, which is why I ended up leaving. And the sad reality is that the unsustainable car culture of endless sprawl and big box mediocrity is what life is like in a good portion of the US. Not everywhere, by any means, but it's huge and pervasive and even creeps into these supposed metro areas. For someone like me that loves seeing streets teaming with life, it's awful. Of course people in NY can be as provincial as hell, and prejudiced, and as terrified to go outside their bubbles as anywhere else. I'm not saying they're not. But on the whole, as compared to the Sun Belt, I find people are much more curious about what's going on in the world, and I'm kind of baffled that you think it's so rare--maybe we just run in different circles (I'm a writer and artsy geek type). Quality of life for me personally is about more than having a McMansion on the cheap in a relentlessly white and sterile cookie-cutter subdivision and easy access to the Wally World. I'm a young, black, non-hetero woman with no desire whatsoever for kids. What's meaningful for me in terms of city experience may not be for others, and vice-versa.

Too many people, including on these very boards, mistake the experience of traveling to a place for living there. Don't get it twisted. To bring it back to the OP, I've been to San Antonio. It's a beautiful city with unique character, great food and great people, but I would never want to live there--it's just too slow for me. Austin is an oasis of sanity in a state that has run off the rails on just about every level, but again, I couldn't live there. I enjoyed Seattle but would never live there because it's not global enough in feel for me, and the hipsters there get on my effing nerves (ditto Portland, another lovely city that seems to be a mecca for douchebags). At least in NY you can escape that element, because of the city's sheer size and diversity. That's the problem I run into with a lot of US cities. If money were no object, the only other US city I could see myself living in is San Fran. In general? Paris. I've been to a wide variety of cities both domestically and overseas, and have loved things about nearly all of them (Phoenix being a great exception, and anyone who's ever been there longer than 5 min at Sky Harbor can tell you why), but at the end of the day, NYC is my home and I wouldn't really want to live elsewhere. I've come to the conclusion from sometimes painful experience that I would be miserable living elsewhere, because the positives for me don't outweigh the negatives. Being elsewhere has made me appreciate my hometown that much more. I'm just a city girl at heart, and NY in my view is the quintessential city, period, both positively and negatively. I love to travel, I love meeting new people and seeing new things, experiencing different cultures, but at the end of the day, there really is no place like home.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:44 PM

224 posts, read 1,085,166 times
I wouldn't mind living in Southern Texas. My type of people down there, a more relaxed enviorment and better weather.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
I wouldn't mind living in Southern Texas. My type of people down there, a more relaxed enviorment and better weather.
You mean South Texas?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 PM

224 posts, read 1,085,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
You mean South Texas?
I guess lol...Don't get mad at me I was born and raised in Manhattan and live in the Bronx, the only place I've ever been to was Florida lol

Old 07-27-2010, 04:23 PM

453 posts, read 457,501 times
I was born and raised in Houston, but I live in Austin now. I've been everywhere in America except for the Great Lakes and Hawaii. I've even been to Alaska. My favorite places I've visited were San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, and Kansas City.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
I was born and raised in Houston, but I live in Austin now. I've been everywhere in America except for the Great Lakes and Hawaii. I've even been to Alaska. My favorite places I've visited were San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, and Kansas City.

But have you ever been to NY? This thread asks what NYers think of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City