Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 PM

27 posts, read 90,146 times

Advertisements

I guess there isn't a lot of development here because SE Queens just doesn't have the same appeal as other neighborhoods like the ones in Western Queens/Brooklyn. There isn't much do here except going to Jamaica Ave or Green Acres (which isn't even in SE Queens) and it's so far from Manhattan (unless you live in/near downtown Jamaica, you need a bus to get to the train).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
I started a related thread on the Urban Planning forum, called Is Gentrification Likely in Southeast Queens (NYC)? Feel free to chime in.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,269 times
I find this thread very interesting considering I just closed on a house in SE Queens. I am a Black middle class woman who lived in the trendy Brooklyn neighborhood everyone is mentioning (which was not so trendy when I first moved in). I know that I am losing some of the amenities that I was used too. But for me the trade off was worth it. The space that I have now, I would NEVER been able to afford anywhere else.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtvi65 View Post
I find this thread very interesting considering I just closed on a house in SE Queens. I am a Black middle class woman who lived in the trendy Brooklyn neighborhood everyone is mentioning (which was not so trendy when I first moved in). I know that I am losing some of the amenities that I was used too. But for me the trade off was worth it. The space that I have now, I would NEVER been able to afford anywhere else.
I hear you. I go back and forth on this myself, especially now that I don't work in Manhattan anymore, and the close-in commute isn't as important. If I ever choose to buy a house, I will probably go back to SE Queens too. I wish you all the best with your new home

Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Qualifications for Rochdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Still Mitchell-Lama.
Let me make sure I have this straight.

For a single person to qualify for a 1BR, they must earn
$ 64,808.52 - $ 76,970.88
Their monthly maintenance is salary-based and ranges from
$ 584.47 - $ 930.44
They must put $ 8,400 down.

For a single person to qualify for a 1BR + Terrace, they must earn
$ 75,124.08 - $ 81,437.16
Their monthly maintenance is salary-based and ranges from
$ 689.54 - $ 1,030.78
They must put $9,600 down.

This makes me go hmmm ...

It seems appropriately structured for middle class people but from the word on the street, you'd think that Rochdale was a NYCHA housing project. What I garner from this is that people are living in these apartments who are not legally authorized to. For example, I could be approved for my 1 BR but my brother, who was not screened, comes to live with me.

Are there any rumblings of Rochdale leaving Mitchell Lama? Do you think that would be positive or negative?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I'm very familiar with modern day (2000's) Rochdale. Rochdale sucks (for lack of a better term), it has grass & trees and the apartments are nicer than project apartments imo (still old and could do A LOT better) but it's still like the projects. Like every element that's in the projects is in Rochdale (people, drug dealers, fights, gun shots, etc.). On a "project scale" of 1-10 (1 being the Chelsea Projects/Pomonok and 10 being The Pink Houses) I'd say Rochdale is around a 7.8. As for management it is corrupt, they kicked a few people out a year or two ago. The rent is constantly rising year after year (some people are paying twice as much as they used to). A lot of the security guards are just annoying but they're among the first to run when it's something serious. I like that it's in a far corner of NYC and not included in the core of the city, I like that the LIRR is right there. But I was always a more Long Islander than a NYCer, I've only been to Queens Center like 2 or 3 times (Roosevelt Field ftw lol).

South Jamaica sucks as a whole neighborhood too, it just ruins my vibe whenever I go there so imagine living there, but it's still where I'm from and will always be a part of me (just tucked away until it's necessary to bring it out lol), I'm a 90's/00's South Jamaica resident so I'm very familiar with how it is now and a little of how it used to be (sucks both ways lol). It has nothing going for itself, no improvements what so ever it's just the same, really Green Acres & Jamaica Ave, or "the city" omg I think I might faint. Thank God we had a car. Far Rockaway could really be something since it's on the beach, it has the LIRR and the subway, but it has sour areas.

Imo the city should invest in these areas and turn them into gems, everything revolves around Manhattan. There could be some nice non-urban neighborhoods that can add to NYC.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm very familiar with modern day (2000's) Rochdale. Rochdale sucks (for lack of a better term), it has grass & trees and the apartments are nicer than project apartments imo (still old and could do A LOT better) but it's still like the projects. Like every element that's in the projects is in Rochdale (people, drug dealers, fights, gun shots, etc.). On a "project scale" of 1-10 (1 being the Chelsea Projects/Pomonok and 10 being The Pink Houses) I'd say Rochdale is around a 7.8. As for management it is corrupt, they kicked a few people out a year or two ago. The rent is constantly rising year after year (some people are paying twice as much as they used to). A lot of the security guards are just annoying but they're among the first to run when it's something serious. I like that it's in a far corner of NYC and not included in the core of the city, I like that the LIRR is right there. But I was always a more Long Islander than a NYCer, I've only been to Queens Center like 2 or 3 times (Roosevelt Field ftw lol).
Thanks for sharing this. In puts a very different light on Rochdale for me. I've been to the "big mall" as recently as this spring and it looked more rundown and devoid of shoppers than ever. I haven't been inside of one of the apartment buildings for years.

Well, considering this, and the sheer lack of available co-ops and condos in SE Queens, I would support raising Rochdale's income guidelines, required monthly maintenance fees and downpayments to help attract a more middle income population. In Co-op City, for example, you must put $13,500 down to qualify for a 1BR. At Rochdale, it's $8,400. Parkchester sells condos. Rochdale also needs to upgrade Mall #1 & Mall #2 and begin work on attracting new retail (again, think of Co-op City and Parkchester). The greater community needs this as well. Quality retail in the area will prevent people from spending their money in Nassau County. With a better quality community, young people might be encouraged to stay instead of moving out of state, to Brooklyn or to the Hillside Avenue area. Once you stay into your 20s, you might even consider staying (and buying a house in the area) after you've married and are raising a family.

One thing that I would not change is keeping Rochdale affordable for seniors. It is uniquely self-contained, allowing seniors who don't drive to meet most of their needs within the complex.

Regarding crime, it's ironic that Rochdale relies on "lame" security when the 113th Precinct is right in the parking lot of the big mall. Couldn't they assign some cops to foot or scooter patrol inside of Rochdale? In my neighborhood we have police on foot, scooter, and horse patrol. At least the presence of real police might be a crime deterrent and help to make the law abiding citizens feel safer.

Quote:
Imo the city should invest in these areas and turn them into gems, everything revolves around Manhattan. There could be some nice non-urban neighborhoods that can add to NYC.
Everything focuses around DOLLARS. Not only in Manhattan, but also in Northwest Brooklyn and Long Island City. If it's the goal of the Mayor's office to focus on these areas because they're guaranteed revenue for the city ... fine. But share some of the gain with the outer ring communities as well. Look at what an investment in East NY did to help revitalize that area.

Last edited by queensgrl; 07-24-2010 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 11:30 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:

South Jamaica sucks as a whole neighborhood too, it just ruins my vibe whenever I go there so imagine living there, but it's still where I'm from and will always be a part of me (just tucked away until it's necessary to bring it out lol), I'm a 90's/00's South Jamaica resident so I'm very familiar with how it is now and a little of how it used to be (sucks both ways lol). It has nothing going for itself, no improvements what so ever it's just the same, really Green Acres & Jamaica Ave, or "the city" omg I think I might faint. Thank God we had a car. Far Rockaway could really be something since it's on the beach, it has the LIRR and the subway, but it has sour areas.

really? u put rochdale as a 7 or 8 comparing it to the projects? lol. i go to rochdale all the time. it is nowhere near the level of the projects. at least the 1 building i go to all the time is always clean, and i never see people hanging outside of it.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-24-2010, 01:05 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
really? u put rochdale as a 7 or 8 comparing it to the projects? lol. i go to rochdale all the time. it is nowhere near the level of the projects. at least the 1 building i go to all the time is always clean, and i never see people hanging outside of it.
I sooooo agree with this. I was in building 11 earlier this morning. you could eat off the floors.

Yes, there are NYCHA developments that are better maintained (landscape wise) than rochdale, but that boils down to the management. They've been in the red for years and didnt increase rents from the early 90s to the early 2000s so thats why the rents have doubled. things need to be payed for. throw the economy into the sink and they have huge problems.

Once they clean the books up, they will have money for all these pet projects to make it better.

Security has 2 teams now... a task force which patrols the buildings specifically, and then a guard force which rolls up in the complex in smart cars... yes they have smart cars now.

There are building facade improvements going on, and the mall is being repaved...

The thing is there are several board of directors members that have self interest in keeping the retail in the malls like they are because... they have stores in them!!! Once that conflict of interest is cleaned up, it can pave the way for more/better retail. It's mostly a generational thing too.

Side note, rochdale has the all the things available to gentrify south east queens if you wanna use "that" word. There is already a sizeable population of people who make money there! Have you seen the cars in the parking lot? Have you seen the income requirements to get in Rochdale?? The Apartments are HUGE. Especially if you are on the A and G lines. If you are in Building 5,6,2 and 8.. and you are on the tenth or above floors facing the city, you have a panoramic view of manhattan. Dont sleep! People dont stay in Rochdale forever and pass the apartments down for nothing.

LIRR access is 26 minutes to Penn & Brooklyn... 24 in some rush hours with no stop at Jamaica. Parking (sometimes a chore); basic amenities: bank, post office, supermarket, gift shop, chinese, deli, bootleg department store, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. But most people drive to Long Island to do stuff...

People don't get involved so the people who care are left to focus on what they can do to make it better. That needs to change too.

Last edited by TheBoros; 07-24-2010 at 01:17 PM..

Old 07-24-2010, 01:30 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
I sooooo agree with this. I was in building 11 earlier this morning. you could eat off the floors.

Yes, there are NYCHA developments that are better maintained (landscape wise) than rochdale, but that boils down to the management. They've been in the red for years and didnt increase rents from the early 90s to the early 2000s so thats why the rents have doubled. things need to be payed for. throw the economy into the sink and they have huge problems.

Once they clean the books up, they will have money for all these pet projects to make it better.

Security has 2 teams now... a task force which patrols the buildings specifically, and then a guard force which rolls up in the complex in smart cars... yes they have smart cars now.

There are building facade improvements going on, and the mall is being repaved...

The thing is there are several board of directors members that have self interest in keeping the retail in the malls like they are because... they have stores in them!!! Once that conflict of interest is cleaned up, it can pave the way for more/better retail. It's mostly a generational thing too.

Side note, rochdale has the all the things available to gentrify south east queens if you wanna use "that" word. There is already a sizeable population of people who make money there! Have you seen the cars in the parking lot? Have you seen the income requirements to get in Rochdale?? The Apartments are HUGE. Especially if you are on the A and G lines. If you are in Building 5,6,2 and 8.. and you are on the tenth or above floors facing the city, you have a panoramic view of manhattan. Dont sleep! People dont stay in Rochdale forever and pass the apartments down for nothing.

LIRR access is 26 minutes to Penn & Brooklyn... 24 in some rush hours with no stop at Jamaica. Parking (sometimes a chore); basic amenities: bank, post office, supermarket, gift shop, chinese, deli, bootleg department store, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. But most people drive to Long Island to do stuff...

People don't get involved so the people who care are left to focus on what they can do to make it better. That needs to change too.
my friend lives in the G line, high floor...nice 3 bedroom apartment with a terrace, decent size living room, eat in kitchen. i was actually considering to move there but it was actually more convenient for me to stay in far rockaway so my son and stepdaughter could be closer to the grandparents for babysitting issues. when they get older i might consider making the move out there.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City