Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,591 times

Advertisements

It seems like it is pretty much the same as when I lived in Hollis. The blocks closer to Nassau were always real nice. It is cool to hear that the Q4 is still the Q4. Is the Q4A still running or was its named changed like the Q3A (Murdock Ave Bus) was? Yeesh...I am really showing my age with these questions lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:01 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
It seems like it is pretty much the same as when I lived in Hollis. The blocks closer to Nassau were always real nice. It is cool to hear that the Q4 is still the Q4. Is the Q4A still running or was its named changed like the Q3A (Murdock Ave Bus) was? Yeesh...I am really showing my age with these questions lol.
Q4A is the Q84

Q3A is the Q83

Q5A is the Q85

Remember the Q86 that ran from Rosedale LIRR to the Border...

Shhh... showing age too....

Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Q4A is the Q84

Q3A is the Q83

Q5A is the Q85

LOL. I vaguely remember that bus. I used to catch the Q5 though when I went to Green Acres and that used to stop at the Rosedale station, I believe. Just for remembrance sake...Did you used to go to Gouz (rhymes with Cows)? I used to love when my parents took us there food shopping. I believe it was in Elmont. Just remembering brings back some fond memories of my life in SE Queens when I was a teenager.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,987 times
Quote:
LOL. I vaguely remember that bus. I used to catch the Q5 though when I went to Green Acres and that used to stop at the Rosedale station, I believe. Just for remembrance sake...Did you used to go to Gouz (rhymes with Cows)? I used to love when my parents took us there food shopping. I believe it was in Elmont. Just remembering brings back some fond memories of my life in SE Queens when I was a teenager.
Wow @ Gouz... in Rochdale lol. Now it's Key Food. They used to have the strawberry banana yougurt milk that I can't find anywhere now.

The days....

Old 07-24-2010, 11:37 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,347 times
Quote:
Linden Blvd is the Main Drag. North side of Linden the houses are more single family, smaller but detached.

South side of Linden the houses are larger. 118th/120th is about the border, then you start moving into Laurelton, which you should also check out, has a simialar feel to Cambria, but closer to the Train (LIRR) on 225th Street.

Around 115th Avenue and the Cross Island is really nice too.. The closer you are to the Nassau Border in the 230's the prettier it gets. The whole hood is beautiful as a whole, very sought out after the african american middle class.

Transportation you have the Q4 to Jamaica center where you can hop on the E,J,Z. The X64 Express bus on Linden that takes you to/from Manhattan during rush hours only, that can take up to an hour depending on where you are headed. The area is centered around car transport, so it would help if you drive.

The areas to stay away from are considered west of springfield boulevard moving more into St. Albans. There is a different culture over there.
In addition to that, and depending on where you are on CH, you can hop on the q84. and the q83 bus. The Q27 runs on springfield, which goes to flushing queens.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I'm not sure what you want to know exactly, so I'll start here. BTW, I know the neighborhood pretty well being from its neighbor, Laurelton, and my aunt/uncle/cousins lived there until last year.

There are three basic housing styles, cape, ranch and english tudor row house. I don't know of any apartment buildings or co-ops in the area. The business district is along Linden Boulevard which is about the middle split between the north and south sides of the neighborhood. The southern side near Montefiore Cemetery has had an influx of orthodox Jews in the past 10-15 years or so. But the community is primarily Caribbean black and African American, middle class people. You know from my link that median family income is higher in CH than it is in Bayside.

PS 176 has always had a decent reputation. IS 59 is the middle school. I was involved a project there a few months back and the principal seems to be very dedicated.

Are you a single person, a couple, do you have school aged children? Where do you commute to work? Basically, it's a good family community. Fairly quiet streets and trying to do some economic development.
But bayside houses are waaaay more expensive. I actually like bayside better than cambria. but i do like cambria and some parts of laurelton.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:00 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqnzchickx View Post
I went to P.S. 36 (right off of Linden and Farmers) and most of the kids from my school ended up at at I.S. 59...it has a bad reputation and hasn't been doing well for awhile. It was bad when I was young enough to go and that was almost 10 years ago.
IS 59 has had its ups and downs. However, I met the principal this year and he and the PTA have a number of initiatives in place to improve things. When I see that type of motivation, I am inspired. The school received an "A" rating in the 2008-2009 NYC DOE Progress Report up from the "B" it received in the prior two years.

Since the OP doesn't have kids, schools aren't a factor in her neighborhood choice. But for those who might consider Cambria Heights, there's no reason to rule it out because of IS 59. The money you save by moving here vs. Bayside, or Elmont, for example, can be used for private school.

Here are a couple of non-public schools that children from this area attend:

Blessed Sacrement Middle School - Valley Stream (LI)
Lawrence Woodmere Academy - Woodmere (LI)

Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Q4A is the Q84

Q3A is the Q83

Q5A is the Q85

Quote:
LOL, I'll bet I'm older than both of you.
I don't rem the Q86
There used to be a Q5AB (Rochdale) and a Q5A (Spfld Gdns/Rosedale). Looks like they merged them.
Before Associated and Key Food was the CO-OP supermarket in Rochdale.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 AM

Default Laurelton

Just south of 121st Avenue to 130th Avenue and from Francis Lewis Blvd to the Cross Island is also nice. I believe this area is technically Laurelton. It's weird because it looks like Cambria Heights, is zoned for PS 176 but has a Rosedale (11422) zip code. Very confusing. Anyway, I would also recommend this area to the OP. I have a fondness for ranch-style homes over capes, which are available in this area.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Wow @ Gouz... in Rochdale lol. Now it's Key Food. They used to have the strawberry banana yougurt milk that I can't find anywhere now.

The days....
I had no clue that they opened one in Rochdale. I know that the one we used to go to was in Nassau and their was also a Pathmark somewhere in that area. Too bad that there is nothing like that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Just south of 121st Avenue to 130th Avenue and from Francis Lewis Blvd to the Cross Island is also nice. I believe this area is technically Laurelton.
I believe that it is Laurelton also. You are referring to Francis Lewis around where the cemetary is and where it started making it's turns. I used to find that humorous as you could actually live on Francis Lewis Blvd and Francis Lewis Blvd lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City