Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:00 PM

101 posts, read 210,846 times

Advertisements

Hey, New Yorkers. I know this topic is often talked about, and I also know that New York City doesn't exactly embrace college sports like it does pro sports. However, there has to be a team with the most fans; there just has to be. I had an EXTREMELY inaccurate way of trying to figure this out:
I first looked at Wikipedia's page on the NYC Metropolitan Area (New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The page showed the population components (and which states they were in) of the Area.
I then overlapped that map with Common Census' map of college football loyalties:
http://www.commoncensus.org/maps/ncaaf_640.gif
I then (again, I know, inaccurately) tried to assign some numbers to each team's following. Here's what my horrible method came up with:

Rutgers - 17%
Notre Dame - 15%
Syracuse - 14%
Penn State - 8%
UConn - 5%
Boston College - 3%
Army/Other Local Schools - 12%
Other - 36%

I know these are really inaccurate, but I'm really interested in who has the most fans in NYC. So, if anyone would take the time to try to guess on some percentages or give some feedback, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-29-2010 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: Copyright issue - post only your own images, or a link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM

101 posts, read 210,846 times

Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 PM

425 posts, read 959,039 times
Well it really depends on if your talking basketball or football, because I think alot of New Yorkers tend to like two seperate school teams for both, unless they root for the school they went too.

Even NFL football here tends to have a lot of fans for non-NY teams, could be that the two local teams actually play in New Jersey, it could also be that NYC has a huge amount of transplants.

In my family there is 1 Cowboys fan, 1 Steelers fan, 1 Rams fan, 2 Jets fans and 5 Giants fans, and all were born & raised in NY.

As for NCAA my opinion is that most locals for ncaa basketball will follow

1) St. Johns
2) Syracuse
3) Seton Hall
4) Duke
5) UNC

and football

1) Notre Dame
2) Rutgers
3) USC
4) Miami Hurricanes
5) Florida Gators

Just my opinions based on my observations.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:35 PM

88 posts, read 510,508 times
i am more of a uconn for basketball and ND for football. ND for football, because all their games were/is nationally telecast. I am a uconn basketball fan because they were good when i was growing up.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
I'm holding out for Yeshiva vs Notre Dame in football at Yankee Stadium on a Thursday night.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:35 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,998,032 times
Default college sports not for urban dwellers

College Sports are relatively unpopular here among the natives. There are few responses to your thread because nobody cares. A college game here only will draw a small crowd of the three F's; family, friends and freebies. Activities tend to be more grassroots. At the low end or the class spectrum people are into playing sports like handball. The upper class may attend a pro game. For American style couch potato sport the professional leagues dominate the denizens of the couch.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:55 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
College Sports are relatively unpopular here among the natives. There are few responses to your thread because nobody cares. A college game here only will draw a small crowd of the three F's; family, friends and freebies. .
HAHAHAH funny but true. Sorry, but way tooo many pro options in NYC to care deeply for college sports.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 AM

988 posts, read 3,256,412 times
There are around 10,000 Texas Longhorn alumni in the area so don't count out the southern schools.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM

420 posts, read 805,440 times
NY natives could care less about college sports.

The good news is that in Manhattan there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of transplants. All the major D1 schools have active alumni associations with an associated bar to watch the games on Saturday. I'm an Oklahoma alum and we always easily had 50+ people at our bar on Saturdays for the game.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:10 AM

420 posts, read 805,440 times
Syracuse has a ton of alum in NYC as does Rutgers and Notre Dame. I would always see people everywhere wearing Texas gear too. A lot of Florida alums live in the city as well. Lots of Michigan alums too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City