Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 AM

963 posts, read 2,302,433 times

Advertisements

Recent photos from Times Square, some of the best eye candy in NYC. The locals may trash it but this New Yorker still gets a kick from walking through it!

The sign from Mars 2112, a Martian themed Times Square restaurant featuring "Martian" food and drink . . . only in New York . . .

http://stylepeterson.com/new-york/mars-2112-times-square.jpg (broken link)

A scene from a chinese restaurant on Eighth Avenue--if Norman Rockwell was a Soho artist this is what he would paint . . .

http://stylepeterson.com/new-york/chinese-restaurant.jpg (broken link)

Looking towards Times Square from 6th Ave & 38th Street

http://stylepeterson.com/new-york/looking-at-times-square.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 06:38 AM

963 posts, read 2,302,433 times
More flash in Times Square!

Target Stores consistently has the most artistic billboards in Times Square

http://stylepeterson.com/new-york/times-square-17.jpg (broken link)

Looking down 42nd Street

http://stylepeterson.com/new-york/times-square-15.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-17-2010, 08:21 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post

Looking towards Times Square from 6th Ave & 38th Street
broadway and 39th

Old 08-17-2010, 12:06 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
The only people who say times square is just a tourist trap-are transplants trying to fit in and natives who are just trying to sound cool(this maybe special and awesome to out of towners but its nothing to me-type thing)

TS is amazing. No way of getting around that simple fact

Old 08-17-2010, 03:16 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
The only people who say times square is just a tourist trap-are transplants trying to fit in and natives who are just trying to sound cool(this maybe special and awesome to out of towners but its nothing to me-type thing)

Ummm Times Square is just a tourist trap. Times Square is momentarily interesting for the sheer amount of lights....then you realize everything in Times Square sans lights can be found in any midwestern suburb. I can go to TGI Fridays, Applebees, Olive Garden and Toys R US in almost any city in America over 40K in population. I'm not saying these things to fit it. I simply just don't see the grand lure of Times Square except to make the un-adventurous tourist feel secure.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:27 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I don't see how it is trashy based on your pics, but I can see flashy and fun. Times Square is a tourist trap...but it still can be fun to see and walk around once in a great while for locals.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:16 PM

45 posts, read 99,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
Ummm Times Square is just a tourist trap. Times Square is momentarily interesting for the sheer amount of lights....then you realize everything in Times Square sans lights can be found in any midwestern suburb. I can go to TGI Fridays, Applebees, Olive Garden and Toys R US in almost any city in America over 40K in population. I'm not saying these things to fit it. I simply just don't see the grand lure of Times Square except to make the un-adventurous tourist feel secure.

Times square wasn't always a boring place tho.
Oh the days of hookers and pimps are long gone!!

Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

Ummmm.....not so.
I was born in Manhattan and have lived here my whole life.
40 years.
So yeah--I'm a real New Yorker.
I know every inch of this city and think I can honestly say Times Square IS indeed a tourist trap.
Sorry to bust your bubble.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:13 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeight$Babe View Post
Times square wasn't always a boring place tho.
Oh the days of hookers and pimps are long gone!!
damn giuliani... damn him to hell...

i miss my peep shows

i've still got a couple tokens in my desk drawer ... one has a hologram of a naked chick :rofl:

Last edited by ENFD240; 08-17-2010 at 06:30 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 06:47 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
Ummmm.....not so.
I was born in Manhattan and have lived here my whole life.
40 years.
So yeah--I'm a real New Yorker.
I know every inch of this city and think I can honestly say Times Square IS indeed a tourist trap.
Sorry to bust your bubble.
I would have to disagree with both of you. Like both of you im a native nyer and i never get tired of seeing times square, theres nothing like it period.

The whole TS allure and attraction is not applebees or planet hollywood. People come to see TS for the lights, video screens bigger than buildings and the general energy of the place. All the applebee, hard rock cafe,olive garden.. etc stuff is just an add-on to that.

Times square is not a tourist trap, its just awesome. Period

People from elsewhere wish they could see something like that whenever they decide too. Some of us natives know this, and try to sound impressive by writing something the world see's as awesome, as just a mere tourist trap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: