Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:43 PM

149 posts, read 358,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxCambo193rd View Post
Yet you cry about the Blacks being killed by Arabs in Darfur and expect Whites and other races to bail you out and you write a post like that...
Funny, I hear far more White people (specifically Israel-oriented) concerned with the massacre in Darfur BECAUSE they have political and financial interest in the outcome of that genocide. Any person who believes in random global charity on that issue is a fool (you). Pakistanis are wallowing near death now-and where is benevolent whitey? Yep. Just what I thought. No oil to be protected/harvested, no help.

And since you don't know me, you certainly can't know what I cry about or who is "bailing" me out, lol. But I know certain types of ignorant White people have unwarranted saviour complexes, so your response is both typical and expected. FAIL.

I certainly don't recall Bosnians discriminating when it came to accepting any sort of aid-or hell, a prayer! Then again, you probably think stuff like that never happens in Europe...

Oh, and you still didn't address the issue with farmers in Zimbabwe. Is that really racism or retaliation??? Did they go to Europe and attack/steal from Europeans, as the farmers did?????

Basically, you know you're wrong =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 05:37 PM

508 posts, read 2,120,035 times
Quote:
Yet you cry about the Blacks being killed by Arabs in Darfur and expect Whites and other races to bail you out and you write a post like that...
What?

Where do you think black people expect to be bailed out? Isn't that what you are implying?

And what does African/Middle Eastern/European politics have to do with American politics AND Harlem in general?

You all are comparing apples to oranges. Your argument isn't working.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 PM

68 posts, read 297,959 times
Quote:
There was always whites in Harlem... Ever heard of "Italian Harlem"? one of the roughest parts of the city, still plenty of Italians there too, on my Italians friends was born, raised and currently lives there..its from East 113th to East 119th.
Which Ave?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:05 AM

54 posts, read 155,021 times
Isn't Harlem's majority Hispanic and has been for a while? East Harlem and Hamilton Heights are mostly hispanic, while Central Harlem is mostly Black. Whites living all over the place.

On another note, most blacks or minorites for that matter could care less that whites are and have been moving to Harlem.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
It's about class these days...money, and color is becoming a distant 3rd. For those wondering who can afford a home when wages stagnate and home prices increases, the answer is simple: those who already have homes who have also enjoyed the appreciation, and those who choose to live somewhere cheaper/smaller home or condo to afford an entry level place and then ride the wave like other home owners. (that's why formerly affordable places like Harlem are becoming more expensive, and the Southern Bronx is now on the radar)

Blacks in Harlem, as far as I am concerned, have more contempt for their fellow bad apples that keep mucking up Harlem, than for the small population of whites that are staking a claim in the community. The small minded/ignoramouses that shout nonsense and are quoted in new articles are not representative of Harlem anymore than the crazy white kids that killed the Mexican in LI are representative of LI. Dumb people are everywhere..and the news loves them...but they don't represent anything other than other dumb people.

Harlem is becoming more expensive, so is all of NYC. And it is being driven less by white people and more by a variety of people of color moving into the area...which brings us back to class vs color. Developers will sell to any color, so long as they have the money (in any currency!).

Old 10-16-2010, 09:39 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Looking at another thread and ran across this point.....

Harlem has plenty of Black people who are vocally angry about White people moving there [as though it should be illegal]...That is just as bigoted as a White person is who refuses to live near black people, if not more so.

Does this go on? I'm black/hispanic and yes, that could be racism among the black folks if that's true....
I say could be since they could be more concerned about whites, who tend to have more $, driving up rents and property values....
as long as they complain about upper middle class or rich blacks doing the same thing, there's no racism involved. If not...
yes that is racist.
True, but not necessarily racist. It's mostly about fear of being priced out, I think. Harlem has seem enormous spikes in real estate costs over the past couple of decades. In 1990, you could have picked up a beautiful Harlem brownstone for $50k; by 2010, such a brownstone would sell for $2M. Rents have not risen so dramatically, but the change is definitely coming, whether Harlem residents are happy about it or not.

I do think there is an undercurrent of racism sometimes, but I think this is more a manifestation of other worries (about rising costs, about changing retail, etc.) than racism plain-and-simple. I think if the incoming white population were equally impoverished and rents not rising, the resentment would be a lot less.

Harlem as whole (defined as bounded by 96th St, Central Park, 110th St, Morningside Park, and 125th St on the south and 145th St on the north) is about equally black and Hispanic. In 2000, it was about 10% white and Asian combined, but that's probably up to around 15-20% now, with the fastest growth of the white population around FDB/8th Ave below 125th St and in Hamilton Heights/West Harlem.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:23 PM

283 posts, read 521,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It's about class these days...money, and color is becoming a distant 3rd. For those wondering who can afford a home when wages stagnate and home prices increases, the answer is simple: those who already have homes who have also enjoyed the appreciation, and those who choose to live somewhere cheaper/smaller home or condo to afford an entry level place and then ride the wave like other home owners. (that's why formerly affordable places like Harlem are becoming more expensive, and the Southern Bronx is now on the radar)

Blacks in Harlem, as far as I am concerned, have more contempt for their fellow bad apples that keep mucking up Harlem, than for the small population of whites that are staking a claim in the community. The small minded/ignoramouses that shout nonsense and are quoted in new articles are not representative of Harlem anymore than the crazy white kids that killed the Mexican in LI are representative of LI. Dumb people are everywhere..and the news loves them...but they don't represent anything other than other dumb people.

Harlem is becoming more expensive, so is all of NYC. And it is being driven less by white people and more by a variety of people of color moving into the area...which brings us back to class vs color. Developers will sell to any color, so long as they have the money (in any currency!).
Lol, do you personally know any blacks in/from Harlem or hang out near any? I hear them complaining about whites all the time, they just don't act on their resentment. The class division is real but much of it is seen by locals as being in tandem with race, i.e. the handicapped guy I overheard on 124th & FDB saying the building under construction there "is for whitey, that ain't for us" (it's really a hotel where anyone can stay at, but...). There are also the cultural divisions that aren't necessairly driven by economic differences like the block party last summer on W 112th being opposed by some area whites and the rift over drumming in the park. It's a cop-out to to prop up classism as the exclusive problem with the population.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM

142 posts, read 418,787 times
I'm black and I've been living in Harlem for a few months. First thing, the people have been living there for years and the people moving in who have more money(typically white) are pricing them out.

I feel this way and I'm not at all a native. I won't be able to afford my Harlem apartment if things continue.

However...I don't plan on staying in Harlem because....it sucks. Yes I said it. It's a ****ty place to live.

I'm black and from the South and I've lived in plenty of nice black neighborhoods. Harlem ain't one of em:-( So sad.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,402 times
I want to say this, I have lived in Harlem for 6 years and am white. The vast majority of the black and hispanic community are lovely regular people and there is no difference living here than in anywhere else in manhattan. There are a few bad seeds that find it funny to make my life hell however and spit at me as I walk by them on a daily basis and say things like "it's our turn to hang you now", obviously a racist thing to say. What I don't like about the community here is that nobody says anything when they see this happening to me. I'm talking about people in the community I say hello to and people whom I talk to casually on the street. Nobody condems it and says something. If I saw this happening to some hispanic kid or black kid you can bet that I would help them out and shame the other person. Why don't people do this in Harlem?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:31 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faxmachine View Post
I want to say this, I have lived in Harlem for 6 years and am white. The vast majority of the black and hispanic community are lovely regular people and there is no difference living here than in anywhere else in manhattan. There are a few bad seeds that find it funny to make my life hell however and spit at me as I walk by them on a daily basis and say things like "it's our turn to hang you now", obviously a racist thing to say. What I don't like about the community here is that nobody says anything when they see this happening to me. I'm talking about people in the community I say hello to and people whom I talk to casually on the street. Nobody condems it and says something. If I saw this happening to some hispanic kid or black kid you can bet that I would help them out and shame the other person. Why don't people do this in Harlem?
Most likely fear of retaliation as many of the residents lived there during the hard times and have long memories. Most of the punks spitting at you are thugs waiting for you or anyone else to react before they strike. Honestly, you say you'd help out another person but those street gangs/punks would quickly gang up and potentially cause serious injury. People just want to mind their own business and prevent themselves from being targets.

On the other hand, I have a friend who's a newly immigrated German who lives in a predominately Black area of Crown Heights. At first, he got looks and comments but he made an effort to talk with his neighbors and even partied with a few of them. Shortly thereafter, no one bothered him and they all looked out for him when he got home late from the city. Of course this is probably rare but maybe you're giving off a bad or snobby vibe to them? Still, there's no reason why you should be spat at or verbally harrassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City