Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 02:48 PM

77 posts, read 210,757 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm currently a Senior in High School and my dream has been for so so long to live in NYC. I'm from Philadelphia, and I visit NYC quite frequently via the Chinatown busses. I love NYC more than anything.. literally. And I know I definitely belong there. Anyhow..

Right now I am pretty much baffled as to how I'm going to get there and such. I mean.. I need to either:

A. Get a job that pays atleast 2k a month and stash some away for college

OR

B. Get a student loan which includes enough for 4 years of OFF campus housing

I'll be honest. I'm a highly intelligent person, but I got C's throughout High School because I never studied for anything because I'm one of those people who understand things quickly and easily.. but sometimes it didn't work all too well for me.

Anyhow, I really really hate living in Philadelphia and I want to get out of here and live my dream next summer. I've been researching extensively and I'm really baffled right now. I have never used credit or anything before so I have NO idea as to how I'll get a student loan with off campus housing, and I have no idea what job(s) that pay at LEAST 2k a month will be easy for a High School grad to obtain.

I really need some good advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

What I want to be after college is a History teacher unless I decide to pursue a career in business instead because I have a strong passion for History and love teaching people things and as for business.. I have a keen business mind and I know how to handle financials.

Thankyou so so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:51 PM

Also.. are the jobs on craigslist not legitimate? Because I have a lot of interest in taking a Security Guard job in the city. Before I had to settle on Teacher, I wanted to become a Police Officer, hence my username.. but since I'm deaf in my right ear, I obviously can't do that, and Security Guard would be a cool job.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:56 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
It's very difficult to save for anything in New York, especially if you're earning entry level wages. If you really want to save for college, it might not be the best move.

As you're still in school you should talk to you career/college counselor.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:00 PM

I'll be completely honest.. I'd be open to like taking a job that I could move up in where after a while I'd be making at least a teachers salary.. that's fine. Basically my life long dream needs to be accomplished.. It's way too depressing here. I can't stay here too much longer. lol.

Hopefully there are good options for me.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:16 PM

Someone please help?

Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
I'll help. You need to stay in Philly (or another lower cost of living place) while you go to college. Trust me, NYC is no fun AT ALL when you're scraping to get by every month. Trust me, NYC will be there in 4 years when you graduate (or in 2 years if you can get into a community college and then transfer to a NYC school as a junior). Trust me, you NEED a college degree to make a living wage in NYC. If you can even find a job that nets $2k a month, it still won't get you very far in NYC at all....it costs over $1k to live in a safe neighborhood, and then how will you afford transportation, food, entertainment, doctors' visits & health insurance, AND saving up for college???

Old 09-21-2010, 05:34 PM

Yeah; true. I just really despise life here more than anything. It's depressing to me. =/. I meant like try to move up in a company with an entry level job and eventually make a decent managable salary. I admit that was a rather dumb idea. Lol.

I, however have thought of a better alternative. I could still get into the Law Enforcement or Business field with an Associates that I could acquire at BMCC, etc. which would obviously provide me with a job that pays BETTER than a teachers salary.

Get a student loan for off campus housing while attending BMCC? It would've been about the same I would borrow to live in a dorm room, and I'd still get to live the life I always wanted to. Is this possible?

Thankyou so much for your input buddy.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Not feasible as you've described. How will you live in the summer? Student loans will not be enough for tuition and living expenses. How much money do you have in the bank now?

Go to college where you are and work a few years. Put as much as you can away, then think about it. UI here is still close to 10%.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Please think seriously about how much student loan debt you want to take on. If your end goal is to be a history teacher, you're going to make about $45-55k a year. That's $2,900 a month after taxes.

Taking out loans to live in NYC for 4 years of school could run you a CONSERVATIVE $60,000 in debt. That translates to between $400-650/mo in student loan payments (or 13-22% of your paycheck each month) for 10-15 years!!!

I urge you to realize that life is long and you have plenty of time to get to NYC. Life cheaply (possibly at home?) and attend college for as cheaply as you can.

No student loans (or very few) AND a college degree will put you on the path to a great life in NYC in just a few short years.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerC93 View Post
Also.. are the jobs on craigslist not legitimate? Because I have a lot of interest in taking a Security Guard job in the city. Before I had to settle on Teacher, I wanted to become a Police Officer, hence my username.. but since I'm deaf in my right ear, I obviously can't do that, and Security Guard would be a cool job.
Ok, your poste is a bit all over the place. First off, your talking about a job making at least what a teacher makes. Do you realize there not that many jobs that start you off with a teachers starting salary? Especially without a degree. R u under the impression teachers make minimum wage? Also it takes more than a passion to teach, many people have that. R u willing and able to manage kids. NYC middle and High school are like Gladiator acadamies compared to the rest of the country. If a 20 year old high school tells you "Moderator cut: Language Mr. so and so", what is your repsonse to that.

And being a security guard has very little in common with being a cop, not to mention the pay is substantially different. Have u done security work b4? It a very tedious, low paying job for the most part.
I think you have more research to do before hop up to NYC and find urself homeless.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-22-2010 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: