Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 PM

64 posts, read 161,744 times

Advertisements

HI! I have looked over this site a lot and Im sorry for asking a few questions again(it seems alot of the answers to my questions are over a year old)

Im moving from Texas. Im a 23yo white female. No job set up in NYC yet so Im wondering what the situation is there as far as waitressing? are there alot of waitressing jobs there? or is it difficult to even find a waitress job??

Im currently transferring my TX cosmetology license to NY and then I will work in a salon. I do alot of free lance hair and makeup. I will still waitress on the side tho.

APARTMENTS!
Is $1100/month for a studio in brooklyn possible to find? in a safe area?
what areas do you think are best in brooklyn?
are there any safe areas in Harlem? Wash Heights? Inwood??

also I have 2 dogs, one little5lbs and one medium(40lbs)... Ive found a few places on craigslist that claim to allow dogs but that leads to my next question

Where is best to search for apartments? is craigslist ok? or is it all scams?? Id prefer not pay a fee
It seems like some realtors do not charge fees?? Does anyone know a good realtor who doesnt charge a fee?

Also concerned about getting approved for an apt without current income in NYC. Even in TX im mainly cash! so not much to prove. My credit is great 710(awesome for a youngster) and my dad(retired so no income) is willing to cosign with a credit score of 800something... Do you think i can get approved???

Anyway Im flying to NYC on Dec 2-7 to try and secure an apartment and then plan on officially moving on Dec 20th.

ANY advice is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by shablee33; 11-04-2010 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 05:16 AM

43,701 posts, read 44,455,186 times
I suggest that you also consider Queens. For $1100 you get a studio apt. in some good/safe areas in Queens such as Astoria & Rego Park.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:12 AM

769 posts, read 2,052,267 times
You will need to prove you have income regardless of your credit score, unless you can pay 6+ months of rent upfront. Many landlords allow one dog, not sure how many allow two.

Brokers always get paid- a no fee apartment means the landlord is paying them. You wouldn't work for free so why would they?

Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 AM

756 posts, read 2,280,218 times
Can't speak as to what $1,100 might get you, although I don't think it will get you anything in the desirable parts of Brooklyn.

Income is going to be necessary, unless you are a student. Landlords will make exceptions for students and allow their guarantor's income to suffice. Since you aren't a student, some income (even if it is just waitressing) is going to be necessary. Once you have that, along with your credit and a guarantor, you shouldn't have a huge issue finding an apartment, bar the two dog situation.

You would be better off waiting until your cosmetology license is transferred and then getting a job up here before you move.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
You are going to have to prove (via W2, tax returns, and/or bank statements) that you make a minimum of $44k per year to get a $1100 studio. You are going to have a hard time finding anyone to bend the rules, especially with two dogs.

You pretty much have these limited options:
1. If your parents make over $100k and have good credit, they can sign as your guarantor
2. Leave the dogs at home and rent a room in a shared apartmett for six months, then you'll have proof of income in NYC and can move out on your own and bring up your dogs.
3.Save enough cash to pre-pay a years worth of rent.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 11-05-2010 at 09:02 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 06:42 PM

329 posts, read 1,047,854 times
What turtlecreek said. The fact that you don't have a job lined up is what's gonna hurt you the most.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:00 PM

64 posts, read 161,744 times
Ok thank you for the info. My question is tho... Im sure alot of people move to NYC with out jobs lined up... so how do they prove income?? obviously jobs in other states are not still currently paying them??

Old 11-06-2010, 08:05 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shablee33 View Post
Ok thank you for the info. My question is tho... Im sure alot of people move to NYC with out jobs lined up... so how do they prove income?? obviously jobs in other states are not still currently paying them??
yes, from my experience with friends and coworkers, most have to rent a room in a shared apartment to get their NYC start....even if just for a few months before they land a job. NYC is VERY different than Texas (I was born and raised in Texas so I know)....you cannot expect to live alone with dogs and no income. Most young people in NYC have roomates until they get married.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:41 AM

769 posts, read 2,052,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shablee33 View Post
Many people find a job in NY before they go, which is what I did. If not, finding a sublet or roommate are your only options. No landlord will rent you an apartment without income unless you prepay your year of rent. And even then many will not allow it.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:25 AM

988 posts, read 3,256,649 times
I moved from Austin,TX over a year and a half ago and I subletted a room until a found a job. Then I found my own apartment. It took 5 months to find one though. That's the best route, since you and your guarantor(dad) don't have income, you most likely won't be approved unless you have 6 months to a year of rent saved up. After you get a job, go back to TX and pick up the dogs. I agree with everyone, it'll be a culture shock, and renting here is much, much different and unique than Texas.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City