Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:17 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Probably in another 5-10 yrs the entire area will be Chinese. Koreans are starting to retreat to NJ completely.
There's a lot of growth in Jersey in places like Fort Lee and near Philadelphia, but Korean areas in Flushing are still strong and also growing. It just keeps expanding Eastward towards Long Island

I don't think the H-Marts are going to be closing any time soon, quite the opposite actually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 11:21 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
but Korean areas in Flushing are still strong and also growing.
not so sure about flushing. It shrunk a tad since the 90s. Chinese residents are slowly moving in the north of northern blvd.....I am certain that is true with some of the newer condos there.

It is accurate it went eastward. There is some growth in queens but not so much in flushing. It strong in murray hill, auburndale, whitestone, etc etc.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
not so sure about flushing. It shrunk a tad since the 90s. Chinese residents are slowly moving in the north of northern blvd.....I am certain that is true with some of the newer condos there.

It is accurate it went eastward. There is some growth in queens but not so much in flushing. It strong in murray hill, auburndale, whitestone, etc etc.
I dunno, for example the recent skyview mall has residences above it, they are occupied mostly by Koreans

Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
I dunno, for example the recent skyview mall has residences above it, they are occupied mostly by Koreans
Umm..I've been there a few times visiting friends, and met some of their friends whom also live there. There were all either mainlanders or Taiwanese. I know one of their uncle also brought another apartment for his mom to live there. There may very we'll be a lot of Koreans there, but everyone I encountered from the security guards to the people in the elevator were all Chinese.

My friends mentioned that they're going to build two more towers on top of the mall soon. So they'll be more chances for all to buy.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-18-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 11:36 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
skyview is not north of northern blvd.

I haven't seen figures that suggest that skyview is occupied mostly by Koreans. It would surprised if that was the case especially considering there is a Chinese supermarket downstairs, Chinese bakery, Chinese bubble tea joint, etc etc.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
skyview is not north of northern blvd.
I know, it's right in the middle of flushing, on the Western part of downtown. He was talking about Koreans moving away from Flushing and I was trying to give an example of Koreans moving in. But it's possible there's more Chinese, I don't have the numbers

Old 03-18-2014, 12:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
There's a lot of growth in Jersey in places like Fort Lee and near Philadelphia, but Korean areas in Flushing are still strong and also growing. It just keeps expanding Eastward towards Long Island

I don't think the H-Marts are going to be closing any time soon, quite the opposite actually
H-mart doesn't cater to only Korean food it has lately carry more and more Chinese groceries to meet the demand of the locals.

What I meant is that more smaller Korean shops will close down and move to NJ because there's more Koreans there. Big franchises like H-Mart, Paris Bagettes will stay open to serve not only Koreans.

The big difference is that Korean businesses are now bigger franchises while most Chinese businesses are only investment groups.

On a side note, I think for all intensive purposes people should start looking at other places other than Flushing. I think we're getting close to maxing out the transportation grid. You can hardly walk around Flushing during busy times, there are too many pedestrians and the area streets are not designed for this amount of traffic.

Last edited by vision33r; 03-18-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 12:44 PM

175 posts, read 487,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Umm..I've been there a few times visiting friends, and met some of their friends whom also live there. There were all either mainlanders or Taiwanese. I know one of their uncle also brought another apartment for his mom to live there. There may very we'll be a lot of Koreans there, but everyone I encountered from the security guards to the people in the elevator were all Chinese.

My friends mentioned that they're going to build two more towers on top of the mall soon. So they'll be more chances for all to buy.
Honestly, I don't know why people would live there. It is so overpriced and the location is pretty ****ty, right across the st from the projects, on college points blvd, not much around unless you walk a few blocks up.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:16 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Hey buddy sometimes if you have no idea or faint idea of what you speak of. Then you should listen to what others have said because you are completely wrong. It shows when you say sentences like...

"Being from NJ, in the 90s, none of the Koreans (in NJ) ever been to Queens, or thought they had a neighborhood there or anywhere in this country. In fact, most of the Koreans who just got off the plane never made a stopover in Queens before living in NJ, unless it was JFK"

First. Every Koreans that immigrated to this country knows about Korea Town in LA. K-town in LA is one of the oldest and biggest K-town in USA. Even if you lived under a rock, LA riot in early 90s made the news everywhere including Korea. S.Koreans who had no clue about US and where Koreans lived IN USA now learned that there were Korean town in LA. Hell even teenie boppers learned that too because there was even a popular Korean drama called 1.5 generation in mid 90s about korean immigrant life starring some famous folks.

Second. By late 90s Flushing became more Chinese dominated and Koreans who immigrated earlier came to Queens first. These folks just spread out, Bayside, Woodside, Sunnyside, Palisades Park, Fort Lee, etc. New Koreans who just immigrated largely moved to NJ (see my post) because enclave of Koreans started to get concentrated in towns like Palisades Park and Fort Lee.

Third. US Korean newspapers and phone books made it so obvious to any Koreans that there was enclaves of us in certain parts. Why? If you didn't speak English and since its the 90s not like you can jump on Google to find things. You had to either ask around or look it up in newspapers and phonebooks. Since you don't speak the language, you'll look it up in Korean newspapers/phonebooks or ask your Korean neighbor.

Fourth. Many Koreans are Christians and Churches were holding major events together across NY and NJ. Retreats, joint services, etc.

Fifth. Korean Thanksgiving (Chusok) is held every year and has been since 1980s in Flushing meadow park. Folks from tristate, mostly NY and NJ came to it.
All anyone can go by, is our experiences. Do you have any pictures dating back to those times, of stores? I would like to see those.

The thing with the LA Riots is when it occurred, the MSM was not touting it as riots in "koreatown". It was just the ghetto. They were not playing the blacks vs korean angle. In fact, I remember the first mention of Koreans being some of the business owners and suffering losses was a special they did on the news some years later. I imagine back then, that area was not exclusive enclave.

I am aware that there are many korean churches. In fact, those churches seemed to be the cultural gathering places for them in NJ, and not taking weekend day trips to Flushing.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:

That is set in Bed Stuy no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City