Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:54 AM

13 posts, read 22,032 times

Advertisements

which area would you say is better? and why

Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
I would say Mott Haven is better because it is more affordable, closer to the city, less crime, and enjoying substantial investment by the city. Bed-stuy however, has the Brooklyn marketing machine supporting it, and the brooklyn brownstone effect, so as a result, I think more people tend to gravitate towards it. The sheep are easily led...as we know.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 AM

442 posts, read 1,297,354 times
id rather live in bx for the reasons above. brooklyn is over hyped

Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would say Mott Haven is better because it is more affordable, closer to the city, less crime, and enjoying substantial investment by the city. Bed-stuy however, has the Brooklyn marketing machine supporting it, and the brooklyn brownstone effect, so as a result, I think more people tend to gravitate towards it. The sheep are easily led...as we know.
so how much would a one bedroom run in mott haven? i found one in bed stuy for 800 monthly

Old 12-10-2010, 08:19 AM

You found one where? On craigslist? I would ignore whatever you find on craigslist as there is alot of bait and switch. In general, 1 bedrooms in Mott Haven are $1,000 or so, 2 bedrooms start around $1,250+. It will depend, of course, on location, condition, etc. I suspect Bed-Stuy is more on average because of its cachet..so buying is more expensive, as would be renting. But I could be wrong.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
You found one where? On craigslist? I would ignore whatever you find on craigslist as there is alot of bait and switch. In general, 1 bedrooms in Mott Haven are $1,000 or so, 2 bedrooms start around $1,250+. It will depend, of course, on location, condition, etc. I suspect Bed-Stuy is more on average because of its cachet..so buying is more expensive, as would be renting. But I could be wrong.
so you don't think i could find anything in mott haven for my desired price?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,054,429 times
I'd live in Bed-Stuy.

Mott Haven has a higher violent crime rate (10.1) VS Bed Stuy (9.5 & 8.9). To put this into perspective, there are only two neighborhoods in the entire city that give you a higher chance of being a victim of crime than Mott Haven. However, Bed-Stuy is not much better in that regard as it is in the top 10. Mott Haven has more housing projects and it's mostly Hispanic, mainly Puerto Rican, Mexican, and Dominican. Most of the blacks live in the projects in MH (neighborhood about 28% Black). In Bed-Stuy, the population is almost all black. To be fair, Mott Haven is cheaper but it is also as poor a neighborhood as you can find. If you happen to be a hipster, then Bed-Stuy, which has already seen it's fair share, probably caters to your needs more. The only area of Mott Haven that has seen any hipsters is Port Morris, which is really a seperate more isolated neighborhood than MH proper.

I feel MH has a longer way to go than BS. With that said, Good luck!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Mott Haven actually has more crime than Bed-Stuy.

Also, Bed-Stuy has seen much more gentrification than Mott Haven.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 AM

The reality is, crime is about the same, however at the end of the day Mott haven is more affordable (although both are equally low-income), Mott Haven is closer to the city, and there is far more investment and repositioning by the city than Bed-Stuy. But Bed-Stuy is in Brooklyn so....

Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
The reality is, crime is about the same, however at the end of the day Mott haven is more affordable (although both are equally low-income), Mott Haven is closer to the city, and there is far more investment and repositioning by the city than Bed-Stuy. But Bed-Stuy is in Brooklyn so....
Crime is not the same. I'd agree is not like going from heaven to hell, but Mott Haven is more dangerous, albeit not by a large margin. There is no way around it.

Also, don't have the numbers to back me up but i'm pretty sure that Mott Haven is lower income. As a) it has way more housing projects and b) has seen way less gentrification. Why do you think it's going to be cheaper?

And while there has been more investment, these have really happened more towards Melrose. In fact, can you show me investments in Mott Haven (which I consider below 149th st), not calling you out....just curious.

Also if there has been investment, it's probably just to eliminate vacant lots in the area. I'd guess that it caters to low income people. So homeless shelters and drug rehabs are probably as far as it got.

Look Guy, I know you're a Mott Haven fan boy. But you have to be fair in these discussions. Personally, I think both neighborhoods suck. But for the OP, im just laying out FACTS that he can use to make his decision. Saying things like MH is safer than BS is using bias. So more FACTS please!

Also, since he is a hipster, I believe Bed-Stuy would be more to his liking. But he is Dominican, so maybe he prefers being around hispanics and in that case, I'd just move to Port Morris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City