Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:54 PM

29 posts, read 57,637 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Just found out I am visiting NY in September (thanks Santa), I have only been there in dec before so have a few questions. I am coming from Australia.

What will weather be like?
Are you still on summer break?
It will be around the anniversary of 9/11 where would i find out what is planned in the city for that occasion, i would like to know what might be appropriate to attend?
Also heading down to DC for a few days, what is the train like for that trip? I have flown previously but will have my mother with me this time and thought a train might be nice change to the car or plane.

Thanks all and merry christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 07:17 PM

34,121 posts, read 47,349,444 times
weather in september during the day can be anywhere from the mid 50s to mid 80s....bring a jacket or hooded sweatshirt just in case.

i have taken the amtrak train from nyc to dc before. very calm and easy trip. 3.5 hours. amtrak stops at union station in DC, from there i took the red line to north farragut and walked to my hotel (wyndham thomas square). the train is a relaxing experience, fun and different way of long-distance travel.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-24-2010, 07:20 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,841,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usabound View Post
Also heading down to DC for a few days, what is the train like for that trip? I have flown previously but will have my mother with me this time and thought a train might be nice change to the car or plane.
i also recommend the mega bus. It ends up being so cheap. I think they are doing dollar seats with 50 cent booking fees now. It's easy and they have wifi (though it can be spotty)

Old 12-24-2010, 07:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,872,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
i also recommend the mega bus. It ends up being so cheap. I think they are doing dollar seats with 50 cent booking fees now. It's easy and they have wifi (though it can be spotty)
Well it may be cheap , but your safety is at risk. If you book early you can get a cheap train ticket.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:32 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,841,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well it may be cheap , but your safety is at risk. If you book early you can get a cheap train ticket.

I've taken it a bunch of times and never felt unsafe. The majority of the time I take it alone. I took it to Boston to meet my parents and all the way to pittsburg once. Usually there are a lot of people one it.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:42 AM

69 posts, read 119,446 times
If you are talking about trains, how about the Acela Express?

I would avoid ground zero. I don't understand why tourists want to visit the site where people have died. I don't like tourists visiting the site, it cheapens the site and turns it into a tourist attraction like Madame Tussuad.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:48 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usabound View Post
Hi all,
Just found out I am visiting NY in September (thanks Santa), I have only been there in dec before so have a few questions. I am coming from Australia.

What will weather be like?
Are you still on summer break?
It will be around the anniversary of 9/11 where would i find out what is planned in the city for that occasion, i would like to know what might be appropriate to attend?

Thanks all and merry christmas.
It will be tough to get anywhere near the WTC on the anniversary itself next year. The memorial will be opening on the tenth anniversary, which means lots of politicians, press, family members, and high security. The memorial may not be able to stay open, as the memorial is the critical path around which all of the other construction revolves, so they'll have to close it up again as construction of the streets and other buildings/systems at the site continues.

Train to DC from NYC is about three and a half hours, not a bad trip at all.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I've taken it a bunch of times and never felt unsafe. The majority of the time I take it alone. I took it to Boston to meet my parents and all the way to pittsburg once. Usually there are a lot of people one it.
My 19-year-old daughter has taken it alone to Boston on several occasions. She did fine.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:12 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,252,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
What? How is MegaBus unsafe? We're not talking about Chinatown buses.

I also recommend MegaBus and BoltBus. Vastly cheaper than the train and these are new buses with comfortable seats and extra leg room.

September is a fantastic time to visit NYC, but you will want to book your lodgings early as it is the start of the busy tourist season. The oppressive summer heat and humidity have usually broken by then, but it can still be quite warm.

And as far as I know, most schools will be back in session if you are visiting around 9/11.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:33 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,872,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
What? How is MegaBus unsafe? We're not talking about Chinatown buses.

I also recommend MegaBus and BoltBus. Vastly cheaper than the train and these are new buses with comfortable seats and extra leg room.

September is a fantastic time to visit NYC, but you will want to book your lodgings early as it is the start of the busy tourist season. The oppressive summer heat and humidity have usually broken by then, but it can still be quite warm.

And as far as I know, most schools will be back in session if you are visiting around 9/11.
They don't follow a correct route map , like other companies like Greyhound and Truckers. They had several bridge accidents this year , the worst was upstate. There drivers also act like they own the road swerving and other things. Its not the buses themselves its the drivers , Amtrak regional can be as low as 49$ and takes 40-70mins less then the bus and comes with every the bus haves and then some. Like the cafe , wifi , larger bathrooms that actually flush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City