Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM

16 posts, read 73,031 times

Advertisements

I am trying to understand Riverdale. I am considering a move there and I want to live in a good area of Riverdale. I'm not interested in living in parts of riverdale that have a Kingsbridge feel, i want more suburban type living. What areas should I consider? I do want a single family house or townhouse. A multi-family would be fine if it is in a good area. We are middle class family so we cannot afford a multi-milllion dollar home. I think a safe budget is 700 to 900K. Can you give me a rundown of these neighborhoods: Spuyten-Duyvil, Central Riverdale, Fieldston, North Riverdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 PM

91 posts, read 311,984 times
The closest area that fits your budget would be Spuyten Duyvil. The more north in Riverdale you go the higher the cost of the houses. However, you can definitely find a house for that cost in the area.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
West of Parkway is the most suburban area of Riverdale, as is Fieldston (the specific development, not the generic neighborhood descriptor). However, both of these areas are realistically much higher than your budget. These areas are exclusively single-family, save for some co-ops on HH Parkway west, and some townhouses adjacent to the parkway.

East of Riverdale Avenue in North Riverdale would likely work budget-wise, but the area has houses on smaller lots, not that dissimilar from Kingsbridge.

Central Riverdale has many apartments, and a few multi-family townhouse-style residences. It's not very suburban in feel, especially as not every building has a garage, so there are many cars on the street.

What are you looking to differentiate in Riverdale as compared to Kingsbridge? Is it a factor of lit size, house style, streetscape, elimination if larger apartment buildings, etc.? That can help to narrow an area to consider, though I do agree that areas of Spuyten Duyvil, between HH Parkway east and Netherland might be worth considering, but it's only a couple if blocks of single-family homes with apartments further along Netherland toward Central Riverdale, and the same toward Kappock.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-22-2011, 01:00 PM

16 posts, read 73,031 times
Riverdale might be outside my budget from what I am reading. When I think Kingsbridge, I think of lots of non-owner occupied properties that are not maintained to my liking. I'm from the Bronx originally and went to high school in the Northwest Bronx so I know that area. I don't like the streetscape, house styles. Lot size is less of an issue. Thanks so much for your help! I'm also looking at Westchester County and Southern CT.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,004 times
I grew up right next to the Horace Mann school. It is a beautiful area, great for raising kids. And I don't know what the prices are right now but I don't think the houses were as expensive as other parts of Riverdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City