Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:59 AM

66 posts, read 330,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycdoorman View Post
In no way am I putting you or anyone down. I grew up in the projects until the age of 18...so I know. I'm not putting down those who are poor or who lost their jobs....I'm against the people who do have money, nice cars, money stashed in drawers or closets and are taking advantage of the system. Taking away the crumbs of the needy! Telling the system they have kids but no man to support them....while the man is secretly working. They collect foodstamps because of their lies! Tell the truth! Stop dogging poor peoples crumbs! If you have a man that works, dont lie to the system.... make your man get a real apartment! Don't worry, the day you die youre going straight to hell for abusing the system when you knew you could afford a real apartment!!!
O Sorry I apologize, I missed understood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,736 times
I applied 2001 and i have had to re-apply 3 times already. It is 2011 and I am still wwaiting.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 132,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSUPERMOM View Post
That is great! When was you notified to come in? Please tell all details about the apt viewing Good Luck!!!!
Hey I got the apartment!! The management of the building called me and asked me if I was interested in a apartment to be there the next day at 8:30am. I was shown the place, and of course I took it. You have to fill out a ton of paper work. I was told my rent amount after she checked my w2. I had seven days to have the security deposit and first months rent. The apartment needs very minor repairs, we can't move in until they are completed. Hopefully by next week I could move my family. I wish you luck, I know how stressful it is to wait but don't lose faith.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 13,832 times
oops

Old 03-19-2011, 09:20 PM

13 posts, read 132,479 times
Huh? Oops?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 13,832 times
I asked a question in the wrong thread so I editted. But since Im here:

ello all,

This seems to be the most active of all the threads regarding this subject so here I am.

So question:

I recently received a letter in the mail saying that I was chosen in a lottery for one of these apartments in brooklyn but Im a little worried about the income requirements. My paystubs themselves are fine. They fall right in with the required income range. But Im also a freelance designer and made a little over 3k from some side jobs last year. How is that calculated into everything? Is it just added on to your gross income or is it handled differently?

Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,591 times
I'm not sure. I pay full rent out of my own pocket and paycheck. Then again, I also don't have to live in the projects, so I can honestly say I'm very thankful for that. I would prefer to work two jobs if anything. Perhaps I can research this to have a better understanding.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:53 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentvirtue View Post
I recently received a letter in the mail saying that I was chosen in a lottery for one of these apartments in brooklyn but Im a little worried about the income requirements. My paystubs themselves are fine. They fall right in with the required income range. But Im also a freelance designer and made a little over 3k from some side jobs last year. How is that calculated into everything? Is it just added on to your gross income or is it handled differently?
Are you sure it's an NYCHA lottery? I ask because I won a state housing lottery (bldg located in Manhattan) and for years assumed this bldg was NYCHA, but after weeks of research (in other words, Google) learned it's not. For the income thing you mentioned (side jobs/3k issue), my guess is it's up to the building to determine if you'll likely earn that amount or similar on a consistent basis or if it's an aberration. If you're allowed to submit a 'personal statement' during the application process and you feel the 3k was an aberration in your life, then you should submit a personal statement.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:08 AM

66 posts, read 330,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRalfy View Post
Hey I got the apartment!! The management of the building called me and asked me if I was interested in a apartment to be there the next day at 8:30am. I was shown the place, and of course I took it. You have to fill out a ton of paper work. I was told my rent amount after she checked my w2. I had seven days to have the security deposit and first months rent. The apartment needs very minor repairs, we can't move in until they are completed. Hopefully by next week I could move my family. I wish you luck, I know how stressful it is to wait but don't lose faith.
Congratulations! I'm very happy for you! That was quick too! I hope I hear from them soon!! How many bedrooms did you get?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,623 times
in novenber 2010, my application was approved w3 and sent to the housing management that i chose. i'm still waiting for an apartment to become available. My housing developement is in brooklyn but i filled my application in queens. i read somewhere that the location matters when it comes to how long the process will take. i'm hoping an apartment becomes available soon because i really dont want to end up in the shelter with 4 kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery