Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 AM

8 posts, read 10,974 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

Thanks in advance for reading and for any advice. I'm like 500+ other people who have logged on here today...dying to move to NYC. Have had it in mind for the past God knows how long, and aspire to work behind the scenes in entertainment, specifically at a talent agency.

I graduated with my degree in Advertising & Public Relations, and have worked non-stop since I was in my teens. Relative experience: I interned with a major music management firm in Orlando for six months, and after worked for nearly three years as a junior agent at one of the largest talent agencies in the state of FL.

Currently, working to pay off a small credit card bill at a total nothing job and living with family. Felt like I had to do this before I could move. TRYING to connect with agencies/model management companies in NYC. Have shot at least 10 resumes out and letters detailing what a workhorse I am. Literally, the type of person who wouldn't care if he had to sleep under his desk. I am not dense though! I know I will have to climb ladders, and am 100% fine starting as an assistant.

I can't seem to get any response back from these agencies. I really don't want to move up to NY with no job, but I feel like in this industry perhaps its something you have to do. There are virtually no job postings in this line of work, except on one site called Entertainment Careers. It's more underground, than it is public postings. Further, I'm not sure these people even WANT to hire someone from a distance and rely on them to get up to NY.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions...anything? I want to do it the right way, but for God sakes if I stay in this "going-nowhere" town another minute I might crack up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Definitely do not come here without a job.

Let me give you a little perspective...

I'm 29, native NYer, been in the biz for 6.5 years...I do similar to what you are looking to do. I am currently @ my 2nd job throughout my career, looking to get a new one. I graduated from a great school, like you had internship experience, and now I am on my 6th year in my profession. I'm an amazing worker (like you, workhorse, rarely take vacation etc etc)- and I have been looking since July and haven't gotten any offers. I have had maybe 5 or 6 interviews and that's it.

My point is, you are going to be looking a long long long time...b/c if the pros like me can't get anything, I hate to say it but the entry level people like you are SOL.

Good luck though, sorry if that's harsh, but that's the reality in NY right now.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 PM

Thank you! That's some of the most helpful advice. A friend walking the same road suggested I get a NYC phone number. Put it on the resume, and make it seem as if I reside in the city. Then come up if an interview is scheduled. Do you think that is a smart idea?

On another note, what about moving and then temping until I find a position inside what I am specifically looking to do?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrclayton View Post
Thank you! That's some of the most helpful advice. A friend walking the same road suggested I get a NYC phone number. Put it on the resume, and make it seem as if I reside in the city. Then come up if an interview is scheduled. Do you think that is a smart idea?

On another note, what about moving and then temping until I find a position inside what I am specifically looking to do?
I don't think it'll make a difference b/c there aren't many jobs in general. I have an NY # and I'm not having any luck...and I'm very experienced, so I hate it to say it, but i really seriously doubt it'll make any difference.

Temping is all well and good and you would probably be able to get a temp job, but you are crazy if you think you can pay rent on a temp job...let's not forget you will probably have to buy your own medical/dental insurance as you would not get it through your employer if you were temping.

(and oh, if a company found out you were lying to them about where you live...yeah i wouldn't hire you if I were that employer).

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 01-25-2011 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I am currently interning at a HIGHLY competitive fashion company. I have a job that starts in April but I volunteered to come back for the time being since it's almost fashion week. We are hiring new interns and I sit next to the person doing the hiring and let me just say there have been about 10 who did the whole "friend's address" thing on their resume and it's VERY obvious when they can't come in for an interview till say, Feb 19th that they aren't living here and it paints them in a very very bad light. Last minute airfar will break your budget.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM

Thx for the input. Do you think they have a tendency not to want to take people who are out of NYC, or do you think I should keep applying?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:20 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Thx for the input. Do you think they have a tendency not to want to take people who are out of NYC, or do you think I should keep applying?
I can only speak for fashion but when they want you to start they want you to start NOW. We had someone get fired at last place and from the date of the fire to the date of the new person starting was less than a month. They don't want to wait for you to fly up and wait for you to get your finances in order, find an apartment, relocate, move and then start.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 PM

Jdawg responds, "Don't move here without a job"
ohiogirl responds, "They don't want to wait for you to fly up and relocate"

$h!T . :-?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
4 years ago when the job market was a bit better i would have said you'd have an advantage- as people from outside of NY don't expect as much $$ as a NYer would. However, the economy is hurting, jobs are hurting and they really do need people ASAP these days...while still offering sh*tty $$ to boot.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
You will never get an entry-level job in NYC without living here. Stay in FL, save up and move here with enough savings to be able to intern for at least six months.

Sadly your business field is filled with people whose parents pay the rent and can work for virtually nothing. You are going to have to be stellar to get your foot in the door. You will have to share a tiny crappy apartment with a bunch of people and eat ramen.

However, if you really want to live here, it will be completely worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City