Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:44 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times

Advertisements

I think the concept of not walking and talking is good, but I don't want to be taxed/ticketed/nickel and dimed to death. I don't want any more fines...seriously..these are the things, fines/fees/tickets/surcharges etc, that added together break the camels back and people just say ENOUGH and leave. It's insidious and becoming more rampant, and I am getting to the point where I am sick of all the fees and BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,163,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't think such a law is practical. But I do agree that people should not be listening to ipods or talking on their cellphones while they are crossing streets as one really needs to pay attention to the cars and the rest of the traffic.
I don't think people in Manhattan should blatantly cross streets when they clearly do not have the light AND cars who have the right of way are coming right at them. Jaywalking is not enforced so why should there be yet another unenforced law on the books.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:17 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,905 times
This has got to be one of the top ten dumbest things yet! All I can do is shake my head, what next will these moronic politicians want to regulate and control in our daily lives?

If they spent one tenth of the time focusing on jobs and the budget instead of thinking of new ways to control and fine us we'd be out of this financial mess. Seriously, I'm still shaking my head. Where did we find these guys?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think the concept of not walking and talking is good, but I don't want to be taxed/ticketed/nickel and dimed to death. I don't want any more fines...seriously..these are the things, fines/fees/tickets/surcharges etc, that added together break the camels back and people just say ENOUGH and leave. It's insidious and becoming more rampant, and I am getting to the point where I am sick of all the fees and BS.
^^^^ All that too...I'm with you SoBro!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 PM

72 posts, read 150,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Seriously, it's called DARWINISM. If a person is too stupid to observe their own surroundings and gets hit by a car, that's called natural selection- no need to interfere with it as it would be interfering with nature. And not only do these stupid kinds of proposals make good people say ENOUGH and leave, they also turn off people who might otherwise want to move to NYC. When you are charging $12 for a pack of cigarettes, taxing alcohol/sodas/all things 'sinful' to no tomorrow that is a major turnoff (who are these people to tell us how we are supposed to live anyway?). Especially when taxes are already among the highest in the nation. Give people an opportunity to build wealth and they will come. Building wealth is rated as being more difficult in NYC than anywhere else in the country, the odds are stacked against you completely.
Work against them and you end up essentially with what you have now- a city of wealthy and poor with an ever-deteriorating middle class. That cannot hold up on its own for long, people with any kind of real fiscal intelligence know this. What is being done now is an insult to the average person, who increasingly has less and less of a voice in the city's affairs.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
An argument can be made for taxing cigarettes highly, because ultimately that higher cost goes to offset the much higher health costs smokers incur in their lifetimes, most often paid by the public (medicare/medicaid). But fining walking and talking is silly, and there are not rampants costs which would in theory support this fine. Furthemore, we have so many unenforced laws on the books, we do not need yet another. Enforce the ones you have now before adding more, and you will see that you don't need any more!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:09 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
we have terrorism going on, yet we cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.

Our government sucks, plain and simple.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
we have terrorism going on, yet we cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.

Our government sucks, plain and simple.
You got that right nightcrawler!!! And, these politicians are getting worse, aren't they paying attention to the dissent towards them? Maybe they should read through these public boards like city-data and get a clue how America really feels.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
This has got to be one of the top ten dumbest things yet! All I can do is shake my head, what next will these moronic politicians want to regulate and control in our daily lives?
Tell us we can't drink soda?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:54 PM

228 posts, read 483,416 times
Good god, really?

If this isn't proof that they are running out of things to tax us for, I don't know what is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City