Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
The difference between Walmart and other companies asking for tax breaks is that the rest of them don't shut down or threaten to shut down when tax breaks are gone so they can move down the street to the next city.

You're right- why would the government give them tax breaks to bring low wage jobs that are just taking jobs away from others? By the way, Target and Costco pay better than Walmart.

Bullcrap on all of this!!!

First, Wal Mart isn't spending millions upon millions of dollars to build a store, fill it with stock, hire and train employees only to shut it all down in a year or two or three, four, five, six. The fact that you even say that shows that you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Second, Target and Costco pay more than Wal Mart?? More bullcrap!!! ALL retailers pay the same crap pay ---- pennies over minimum wage, with no real benefits and no real chance at advancement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

First, Wal Mart isn't spending millions upon millions of dollars to build a store, fill it with stock, hire and train employees only to shut it all down in a year or two or three, four, five, six. The fact that you even say that shows that you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Second, Target and Costco pay more than Wal Mart?? More bullcrap!!! ALL retailers pay the same crap pay ---- pennies over minimum wage, with no real benefits and no real chance at advancement.

You know nothing about Walmart then. They get so many tax breaks from some cities that the building is almost free. The stock they can take with them. They have done this before, but most of the times they don't have to because the cities get scared and extend the tax breaks.

And as far as pay- all the warehouse type stores such as Costco, and BJs pay better than regular retail. In FL my brother was getting $9.50 an hour from one of them when he started, compared to $7.50 that Walmart was offering (he interviewed there too).

Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,455 times
By the way if you don't believe me, this happened in Colorado. The city of Lakewood gave them tax breaks to build a new store, and on the same day it opened Walmart shut down the old one (they had promised the city it would stay open for almost a year). They also did this in 1994 in Oklahoma. Closed down 2 stores in small towns where over half the local businesses shut down because a city 30 miles away gave them big tax breaks.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Default so wrong

You are wrong about this. Stores like Pathmark and Shop Rite have a union and pay a living wage. They even get overtime on Sunday time and a half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 PM

Default don't let the vipers in

Wal-Mart is terrible. More expensive that stores like Pathmark, Western Beef or Shop Rite. The local stores feature loss leader sales that absolutely kick butt. Wal-Mart does not have sales like this (spring water 24 pack for $1.99). Since stores like Pathmark will discount one item in every category every week there is always one item at a Pathmark that is lower priced than the prices at Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart sales are impotent. On top of the bigger bill you have to deal with sub-par quality. In their supermarkets the meat is barely edible. It is mass butchered by cheap labor somewhere in Kansas and shot up with saline preservative solution so it can be shipped all over the country. The USDA allows this but I do not allow this backwater vendor to pollute the banquet on my table.

The prices and quality is so bad they have to advertise to fool people into wanting this terrible store here. Have you heard the ads on the radio? Sorry to be so crass but only a moron would shop at Wal-Mart given the choice to go somewhere like Pathmark or Shop-Rite. Regardless of the quality and expensive prices the global repercussions of this behemoth parasite setting up shop here are fodder for a book and not a message board post.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Let the people of East New York decide, NOT the people/politicians of New York City. Let the people speak on it, "NYC doesn't need a Walmart", this isn't about NYC lol, this is about ENY, speak for yourself.

I know one of the supermarkets close to me seldom has Ground Beef, compare that to that Stop & Shop in Forest Hills, that place is just like WOW. I know it's probably not too different in East New York. Does ENY even have a Pathmark or Stop & Shop or something like that? Or is it mostly Associateds, Key Foods, & C-Towns? Let's be 100 here lol.

Who goes grocery shopping at a Bodega? How would Walmart even affect that? If I want to get a quick snack or something I'd go to the bodega/corner store, not to a packed Walmart.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times
Quote:
And as far as pay- all the warehouse type stores such as Costco, and BJs pay better than regular retail. In FL my brother was getting $9.50 an hour from one of them when he started, compared to $7.50 that Walmart was offering (he interviewed there too).
One example doesn't make it true for all cases. Like I've said, I seen enough of their paystubs to know that not everyone at Costco/BJs starts at $9.50/hr.

Quote:
By the way if you don't believe me, this happened in Colorado. The city of Lakewood gave them tax breaks to build a new store, and on the same day it opened Walmart shut down the old one (they had promised the city it would stay open for almost a year). They also did this in 1994 in Oklahoma. Closed down 2 stores in small towns where over half the local businesses shut down because a city 30 miles away gave them big tax breaks.
This still isn't a reason to not allow them to build in ENY. Remove the tax breaks and the problem goes away. Walmart will be the only half decent grocery store in ENY.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 PM

Default Wal-Mart macro effect

Let the people of ENY decide? These people have little to no experience with Wal-Mart and the greater consequences of introducing this vendor into the community. This is a job for the govenment to access how Wal-Mart has performed in other places and the effect on local business.

The absolute ideal community is a community of proprietors; ideally owning their own homes. These are people that have a stake in the community and are able to reflect the culture of the local community in business. Wal-Mart drives a stake in the heart of the local proprietor. It is always better to mind one's own stuff than another mans stuff. With Wal-Mart everyone can only the mind cheap Chinese stuff brought in by backwater people from Arkansas.

One iron rule of economics is that cheap goods always chases out fine quality goods. That is why prior to Wal-mart there were some fine quality goods available in this country. Stuff that lasted, was crafted by craftsmen and held its value. Now that Wal-mart and other vendors like them have taken the helm of American retailing, cheap goods produced by near-slaves in China have chased out all the quality goods. Now the stuff that lasted is no longer available as low price disposable plastic garbage has annexed the market.

Do you really want ground beef from Kansas that has been treated with saline preservative solution? Wal-<Art processes all of its meat at a central location in Kansas likely staffed with illegal labor. This is the only meat available at Wal-mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Let the people of East New York decide, NOT the people/politicians of New York City. Let the people speak on it, "NYC doesn't need a Walmart", this isn't about NYC lol, this is about ENY, speak for yourself.

I know one of the supermarkets close to me seldom has Ground Beef, compare that to that Stop & Shop in Forest Hills, that place is just like WOW. I know it's probably not too different in East New York. Does ENY even have a Pathmark or Stop & Shop or something like that? Or is it mostly Associateds, Key Foods, & C-Towns? Let's be 100 here lol.

Who goes grocery shopping at a Bodega? How would Walmart even affect that? If I want to get a quick snack or something I'd go to the bodega/corner store, not to a packed Walmart.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Wal-<Art processes all of its meat at a central location in Kansas likely staffed with illegal labor. This is the only meat available at Wal-mart.

That's a bunch of nonsense. A simple google search would reveal that this isn't true. I'm done with this thread as I feel it's no longer productive. Have a good night.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Let the people of ENY decide? These people have little to no experience with Wal-Mart and the greater consequences of introducing this vendor into the community. This is a job for the govenment to access how Wal-Mart has performed in other places and the effect on local business.

The absolute ideal community is a community of proprietors; ideally owning their own homes. These are people that have a stake in the community and are able to reflect the culture of the local community in business. Wal-Mart drives a stake in the heart of the local proprietor. It is always better to mind one's own stuff than another mans stuff. With Wal-Mart everyone can only the mind cheap Chinese stuff brought in by backwater people from Arkansas.

One iron rule of economics is that cheap goods always chases out fine quality goods. That is why prior to Wal-mart there were some fine quality goods available in this country. Stuff that lasted, was crafted by craftsmen and held its value. Now that Wal-mart and other vendors like them have taken the helm of American retailing, cheap goods produced by near-slaves in China have chased out all the quality goods. Now the stuff that lasted is no longer available as low price disposable plastic garbage has annexed the market.

Do you really want ground beef from Kansas that has been treated with saline preservative solution? Wal-<Art processes all of its meat at a central location in Kansas likely staffed with illegal labor. This is the only meat available at Wal-mart.
There's a Target and that proved to be successful, I even went there once or twice (although the Valley Stream one is closer to me).

And in ENY's case there's really nowhere to go but up, I fail to see how your second paragraph applied to East New York. Walmart isn't even much of a supermarket in the first place, ENY could really use a Costco/BJ's more than a Walmart actually.

You seem to be against Walmart in general which is cool but some of these side effects probably would be non-existent in ENY. Most companies have bad practices, it's sad and I'm against it too but it is what it is. This is about opening up a Walmart in a place that could actually benefit from it, not opening one up on Main Street USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City