Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 AM

546 posts, read 1,177,339 times

Advertisements

New York City Officials To Walmart: Keep Out : NPR

I think that here it says that the city government is against having Walmart come to the city, and Walmart has tried two times already to come in. They just had a meeting recently and the government said they're determined to prevent Walmart from entering. If they come into New York City, it will be like Chicago and many businesses will be destroyed and New York will be destroyed. I hope that Walmart doesn't come to anywhere in the 5 bouroughs or anywhere near by. Mayor Bloomberg however supports Walmart, but thankfully most of the NYC government is against it. What worries me is that Walmart is planning to create small stores without having a rezone, and all they need is to ask the landowner to have a store there and no city approval is needed. If New York wants to save itself and it's businesses, they need to approve something like San Fransico's chain store limiting law that restricts chainstores more than 10 in the US from opening up stores unless getting public and government approval. Either that, or I hope Christine Quinn and others can find some other way to prevent Walmart from coming in or thousands of jobs can be lost and it will be bad time for New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 12:29 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
I mean what's the difference between Walmart, Target, BJ's, Costco, etc.? Like really.

And they want to build it in East New York, something that'd probably improve the quality of life in that area. It's not like they want to go to the Upper East Side or something. Not all of NYC is the same, different areas have different needs.

Just like my neighborhood, the few stores we actually do have are mostly cheap cheesy 99 cent stores, lack luster supermarkets, and corner stores and they're just thrown about, this isn't Main Street USA, there's no concentration of small businesses that might be affected and I assume East New York is similar in this case. Walmart isn't even in that category. This would bring jobs to that area as well.

Just my 2 cents, some parts of NYC could actually use a big box store whether some people in other parts of the city agree or not. At the end of the day most of them do not live somewhere like East New York. And if you don't like then don't shop there, no one's putting a gun to your head.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:43 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I mean what's the difference between Walmart, Target, BJ's, Costco, etc.? Like really.

And they want to build it in East New York, something that'd probably improve the quality of life in that area. It's not like they want to go to the Upper East Side or something. Not all of NYC is the same, different areas have different needs.

Just like my neighborhood, the few stores we actually do have are mostly cheap cheesy 99 cent stores, lack luster supermarkets, and corner stores and they're just thrown about, this isn't Main Street USA, there's no concentration of small businesses that might be affected and I assume East New York is similar in this case. Walmart isn't even in that category. This would bring jobs to that area as well.

Just my 2 cents, some parts of NYC could actually use a big box store whether some people in other parts of the city agree or not. At the end of the day most of them do not live somewhere like East New York. And if you don't like then don't shop there, no one's putting a gun to your head.
Agreed, we've already got all the other big box retailers here. Why not Walmart?

Old 02-05-2011, 01:39 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I notice that Walmart is maing such a push that they're doing promotional radio ads.

As to why Walmart is worse, it's more voracious and has a reputation of treating their employees far worse than, say Costco. (I see that the massive class-action suit for their discrimination against women is progressing.) I also just read that, statistically, for every job that Walmart brings, two jobs are destroyed, due to the companies they drive out of business.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:54 PM

402 posts, read 853,222 times
Default Not so fast

I'm personally not a big fan of Walmart, but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed in New York. For one, the government shouldn't be telling a business they can't operate just because they don't like them. Second, it would be in East New York, a neighborhood that would benefit from the low cost goods Walmart provides. Third, the money people save by shopping at Walmart could be a benefit to small businesses in the area, as the people there would be able to use the money they saved for other goods and services in the area. Fourth, while there most likely would be a few small businesses driven out, there would also be an economic benefit of the hundreds of jobs Walmart would provide once opened, not to mention the construction jobs that would be filled to build it.

So while I am a fan of small business and hope it's not driven out by Walmart, I a) don't believe it's the government's place to prevent a business from opening and b) believe that it could be an economic boon for the neighborhood, not a disaster.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:22 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I notice that Walmart is maing such a push that they're doing promotional radio ads.

As to why Walmart is worse, it's more voracious and has a reputation of treating their employees far worse than, say Costco. (I see that the massive class-action suit for their discrimination against women is progressing.) I also just read that, statistically, for every job that Walmart brings, two jobs are destroyed, due to the companies they drive out of business.
Oh, PUH-LEEESE..... Every single retailer from the A&P to Macy*s treats it's staff like crap ---- minimum wage or barely above, no real benefits, no real promotions or anything else. It's all bullcrap. The only reason WalMart is the one with the "bad rep" is because they're the largest retailer in the nation. Other companies are jealous and afraid and they put out little "stories" about Wal Mart via the internet, television or any other way possible.

Bullcrap also to the "statistic" that for every job Wal Mart offers, 2 are destroyed. NONSENSE. I would love to see who created this "statistic"...

There is no reason Wal Mart shouldn't be in Bklyn or anywhere else in NYC>

Old 02-05-2011, 04:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Without WALMART how will people dress like illegals?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:24 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,500 times
Hundreds of thousands of tranplants from Wal-Mart towns have been invading New York City so why cant Wal-Mart join in on the invasion as well?

Perhaps next year Wal-Mart can even sponsor the No Pants Subway Ride that sooooooooooo many of those attention seeking transplants participate in.

Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Yah!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:39 PM

67 posts, read 343,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Hundreds of thousands of tranplants from Wal-Mart towns have been invading New York City so why cant Wal-Mart join in on the invasion as well?

Perhaps next year Wal-Mart can even sponsor the No Pants Subway Ride that sooooooooooo many of those attention seeking transplants participate in.

Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Yah!
I'm pretty sure wal-mart is in DC though... Does that make you one of them? Maybe I'm confused.

And Wal-Mart didnt necessarily hurt Chicago, every single outer suburb had wal-marts already, and lots of chicago residents chose to shop at them. It's in a middle-lower class neighborhood, close to those aforementioned suburbs, among the typical people that would shop at wal-mart... all its really done is make Chicago lamer.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbarkley View Post
I'm pretty sure wal-mart is in DC though... Does that make you one of them? Maybe I'm confused.

And Wal-Mart didnt necessarily hurt Chicago, every single outer suburb had wal-marts already, and lots of chicago residents chose to shop at them. It's in a middle-lower class neighborhood, close to those aforementioned suburbs, among the typical people that would shop at wal-mart... all its really done is make Chicago lamer.
We do not have a Wal-Mart in DC yet.

Dont worry though. Plans are already in the works here to build 4 of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City