Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,394 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am going to be a 2011 graduate and I was thinking of attending St. John's University in Queens, NY. My chances of being accepted are fairly good, so I have a few questions. What are my chances of being employed at an entry level, and what is the cost of transportation for an average person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Monthly unlimited metrocard is $105.

Cab fare depends on how far you're going & how long it takes to get there.

As for jobs, entry-level what? What field/industry? Full time? Part time? Do you have relevant work experience or education? Too vague to answer.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
St. John's isn't a great school. I don't know if it's worth moving across the country to attend. It's more of a fall-back/safety school for people already in New York. There are much better schools in California that are cheaper.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
St. John's isn't a great school.
Actually, it is. Only 43% of applicants are admitted, which makes it fairly selective (not compared to Harvard, but compared to US universities as a whole). It's also a Tier 1 university (again, not a top 10 like Columbia....but one of the best 150 universities out of 3,500+ in the US).

For someone who is Catholic and out-of-state, I can see the appeal. Not everyone gets into Harvard and in the big scheme of colleges, St John's is a very good one.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
If you're into collegiate sports (particularly basketball), St John's is as good as it gets in the five boroughs, although it's not quite as heralded as it once was. If I were specifically looking for a Catholic university in New York, I'd give Fordham the nod regarding academics.

Regarding transportation costs, TurtleCreek's answer is as good as it gets. A monthly unlimited MetroCard is all most college students would need. Regarding work, it does depend on what you're looking for.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Actually, it is. Only 43% of applicants are admitted, which makes it fairly selective (not compared to Harvard, but compared to US universities as a whole). It's also a Tier 1 university (again, not a top 10 like Columbia....but one of the best 150 universities out of 3,500+ in the US).

For someone who is Catholic and out-of-state, I can see the appeal. Not everyone gets into Harvard and in the big scheme of colleges, St John's is a very good one.
St. John's is not worth it, you're just wasting your money. Especially if you are from Cali where public unis are all better than St. Johns...

Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 15,427 times
There are few private schools in the country that are worth going into serious debt for, and St. John's isn't one of them. St. John's might be 'tier 1' but being ranked 143rd means that is is still considerably lower ranked than UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, UCSC, UC Riverside, UC Irvine and UCSB. The academic standards are probably comparable to a place like San Francisco State - which while still not in the center of San Francisco, is certainly in a more accessible part of the city than St. John's, would be a fraction of the price, and if you one day wanted to move to NYC, your job prospects would probably be about the same.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:05 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,035 times
Agreed. Stay in CA and use the money you save to finance your move to NYC once you graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: