Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 PM

297 posts, read 729,320 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any idea what the average salary is for a nurse coming right out of school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Nurse.com | Nursing News, Nursing Jobs, Nurse Continuing Education, Nurse Community

Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,171 times
Probably about 65-70k base pay for a hospital job in NYC, but it could be less now because jobs for new grads are few and far between and people will take any job at a lower rate of pay.

Are you a new grad?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:00 PM

87 posts, read 101,925 times
What about it today's market?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
Anyone have any idea what the average salary is for a nurse coming right out of school?
Could depend on your degree (ADN vs. BSN) along with any certifications but roughly new grad RNs start at $73K to near $83K. It will depend upon the hospital/healthcare system with private facilities paying on average more than HHC (City run) places.

New York Nursing

Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 PM

510 posts, read 1,442,885 times
In NYC finding a new grad nursing job is literally like winning the lottery- there are hundreds (if not thousands) of applicants for each position. I would suggest you browse the website AllNurses.com and click the NY page. Lots of people on there have asked/posted about salaries in NYC. I do know that the high-end of the spectrum is ~80k with differentials considered and the lower end would be HHC hospitals in the ~65k range with differentials. That's for nurses with a BSN. Without a BSN is essentially impossible at this point unless you have connects.

edited to say Bugsy beat me to it

Old 03-26-2014, 11:42 PM

79 posts, read 434,913 times
My brother went this route and from the way he raves, it's cash f'in money. He originally wanted to do dental school but changed his mind and is now getting his BSN. His ultimate goal is to get the masters and become a nurse anesthetist. He says starting salary are like 65k. The market will probably be better for people with degrees like BSN or in more specialized roles.

Worst case scenario you can join the NAVY or something.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vescuzzi View Post
My brother went this route and from the way he raves, it's cash f'in money. He originally wanted to do dental school but changed his mind and is now getting his BSN. His ultimate goal is to get the masters and become a nurse anesthetist. He says starting salary are like 65k. The market will probably be better for people with degrees like BSN or in more specialized roles.

IIRC all branches of the military now require a BSN degree for enlisting nurses.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:43 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vescuzzi View Post

My brother and sister in law became Nurse Anesthetists 35 years ago before there were even BSN programs. Back then you went to Nursing Schools usually associated with a hospital for about 2.5 years. I think he went to anesthesia school for about 1.5 years.

You can make great money as a Nurse Anesthetist but its usually not in the big urban areas. Anesthesiologists have the urban areas locked up.

My brother retired before age 50 after spending 20 years in the Air Force. His wife continued to work. Best job she had was in Maine. A week on, a week off and 4 weeks vacation earning well over $100,000.

Tell your brother to go that route. You don't have to deal with patients that think you are nothing more than a maid...you talk to them for a few minutes before you put them out.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
You can ALWAYS find a job in nursing somewhere! Starting salary is around 70K-75k not including evening or night diff and mandatory OT. Nursing homes are always looking. I have a full time job and per diem jobs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City