Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times

Advertisements

They have them in Manhattan, one in Queens, even some in Westchester but none in the Bronx or Brooklyn for that matter! Trader Joe's is pretty much is like the Whole Foods Walmart or poor man for those of you that don't know. They sell rather more healthy foods but at cheaper prices and slightly lower quality (most the foods still taste the same to me) and unlike Whole Foods, it's strictly shopping. I have shopped at Trader Joe's a few times and the saving on healthy foods are ridiculous compared to places like Whole Foods are other big name or stores that charge an arm and leg. Plus, you can find healthy foods that are hard to find at regular supermarkets like Sun Flower Seed butte or Almond butter (as opposed to Peanut butter) and stuff like protein shakes that are a lot more cheaper than like GNC prices.

The only problem with shopping at Trader Joes is that I have to travel a distance to shop there since I live in the Bronx. Once in a while I'll go to Queens or Westchester (by car) to shop at Trader Joes or if I am on foot I'll by small stuff in Manhattan. However, for all the talk that the Bronx doesn't get enough healthy food stores that I hear a lot of the time, I think Trader Joe's would be great for some of the more poor or middle working class people in the Bronx or even Brooklyn for that matter. It'll be a great way for people to be encouraged to shop more health consciously.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
There's one in Brooklyn too. Trader Joe's - Cobble Hill - Brooklyn, NY

Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 AM

Damn! Then bring one to the Bronx! The Bronx can really use a Trader Joe's I think.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM
grant516

n/a posts
The one in Brooklyn has 21 registers, but for a more novel idea how about letting grocers (like Trader Joes) sell Wine in NYS, as is the original intention of the full service Trader Joes market.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Damn! Then bring one to the Bronx! The Bronx can really use a Trader Joe's I think.
I heard that they were thinking about opening in The Bronx and did a city data search as part of their research.When they saw all the posts by Ashley,victorfox,supermario and others they decided that The Bx is too dangerous and doesn't fit their demographic.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I heard that they were thinking about opening in The Bronx and did a city data search as part of their research.When they saw all the posts by Ashley,victorfox,supermario and others they decided that The Bx is too dangerous and doesn't fit their demographic.
That's lame! I bet if a Trader Joe's was put somewhere like in Throggs Neck or around the Pelham Bay or heck even the Hunts Point place, it would do very well and of course JOBS will be available.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM

67 posts, read 92,502 times
Quote:
LOL...yeah man tell me about it Bluedog, the Bronx demographics really sucks to the point it scares away "classier" businesses. What a shame to. Now you can understand why I rant about changing the Bronx demographics and removing the ghetto desitutes. No Trader Joes, no starbucks (only 1 in the BX I think), no Whole Foods, no Juice Bar, etc.

Sadly, the only businesses that thrive under the current demographics is Kennedy Fried Chicken, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Shops, Liquor Stores, Check Cashing places, 99 cent stores, bodegas, welfare offices and substance abuse clinics. OMG...the sad part is I'm not even joking around, those are the actual stores that thrive in the Bronx...WOW.

I can't make this stuff up.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:46 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Plus Larchmont, NY has one... that's only a short drive from the Bronx.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
Quote:
and those rough street corners look so scary.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashely2011 View Post
LOL...yeah man tell me about it Bluedog, the Bronx demographics really sucks to the point it scares away "classier" businesses. What a shame to. Now you can understand why I rant about changing the Bronx demographics and removing the ghetto desitutes. No Trader Joes, no starbucks (only 1 in the BX I think), no Whole Foods, no Juice Bar, etc.

Sadly, the only businesses that thrive under the current demographics is Kennedy Fried Chicken, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Shops, Liquor Stores, Check Cashing places, 99 cent stores, bodegas, welfare offices and substance abuse clinics. OMG...the sad part is I'm not even joking around, those are the actual stores that thrive in the Bronx...WOW.

I can't make this stuff up.
Do you want an apple store aswell in the bronx?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City