Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 AM

377 posts, read 670,271 times

Advertisements

I have a question about driving into the city. Is is THAT bad? I'll be coming from PA, taking route 78, into the city for a food festival in 2 weeks. Some have suggested that I take a train or a bus into the city. So, I'm wondering if that's what I really should do. Is it the traffic or the parking or what is the big issue?

Thanks for your tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 PM

518 posts, read 825,666 times
It is both the traffic and parking. You will never find a free parking spot near the event. The frustration and expense is just not worth it, take a train or bus.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:11 PM

33 posts, read 133,107 times
It is also the crazy taxi drivers :P And to be fair, pedestrians too.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:34 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
And, any sort of delay at the tunnel, before dealing with Manhattan traffic can really ruin a time schedule, as I have been stuck in hour-long delays without that much of a problem on either end of the tunnel, just volume.

If you plan to arrive early in the morning, have breakfast in Manhattan, etc., then it should not be a problem to get through the tunnel and to a parking garage, without too much fuss. Make a reservation, and compare rates at: New York City Parking Garage Rates - Compare Daily/Monthly - Manhattan

Sometimes the weekend delays can be worse, owing to leisure travelers who drive into Manhattan. It's difficult to gauge what potential problems could occur on the day of travel, hence why many would recommend parking in NJ and taking the train or bus to Manhattan.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM

37 posts, read 104,707 times
I live in midtown and own a car. Driving around the city is not as bad as you might imagine. In fact, in some ways it is better than other cities. That's because there are traffic lights at virtually every intersection, and most of the streets are one-way. So among other things, you're never faced with making a left turn at a two-way street with traffic that never stops. And despite all the TV shows that depict cars honking and not moving for hours on end, it actually flows pretty smoothly most of the time.

Parking, on the other hand, is a different story entirely. I own a car mainly because I travel to New Jersey a lot, and when I come back to the city I park my car in my apartment building's garage. When I do have to park somewhere else in the city, it is a hassle and I generally end up parking it at another garage, paying the hourly rate. If you do that, you can expect to pay as much as $30 for an entire day. The only other option is to park somewhere uptown or downtown, because even if you manage to find a parking space on the streets of midtown (which I assume is where your convention is), it will either be:

A) A metered space that has a limit (usually three hours)
B) Off limits to personal vehicles during the daytime (usually around 7 AM - 7 PM)
C) A space that has weird restrictions (e.g., No parking between 6 AM to 8 AM, or 2 PM to 4 PM)

Now, if you are coming on Saturday or Sunday, your options are much better. You can pretty much park anywhere in midtown over the weekend without paying, but finding a space will be difficult. It is my suggestion that if you are driving into the city for the day, just park it at a garage.

The other issue is actually getting into the city. You're probably best off taking the Lincoln Tunnel, but time it well. Coming into the city between 7 AM and 9 AM, or 4 PM to 7 PM, will be the worst hours Wait times can be as much as an hour during those times (especially the PM peak). If you can get in early in the morning, or sometime during the middle of the day, it will be much better. Make sure you have a radio station preset to 1010 AM, which gives tunnel wait times (and other traffic issues) at :01, :11, :21, :31, :41, and :51 past the hour, 24 hours a day.

LAST POINT - Do you have E-ZPass? If not, your wait time into the tunnel will be at least doubled. It's not insufferable, unless you come during peak hours. But that's something to keep in mind.

That's a lot of babble, but hopefully it helps.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 AM

82 posts, read 254,203 times
My original post didn't appear on the page, so just to reiterate what mdude said: look for areas on streets (usually near doorman buildings), commercial loading zones and the like, that free up after 7 PM. Usually the signs can be somewhat confusing so those spots should stay vacant for a period of time on the weekdays. You should be able to find these areas in Midtown.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:35 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianktn View Post
It is also the crazy taxi drivers :P And to be fair, pedestrians too.
At this time of year too more bikers are on the roads...I swear they should be ticketed more, they break as many rules if not more than taxis do

Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
If you're going to the vegetarian festival, I would not count on street parking nearby as it is in Chelsea, not far from busy shopping areas. Chelsea is a very difficult location for street parking, and can be challenging on a Sunday, so I would tend to factor a garage, or a long walk as it sometimes is easier to find spaces to the west. The NYPD traffic enforcement is out in force on weekends, so read any sign before parking; and, if in doubt, put the car in a garage as it's much less expensive than a ticket.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-21-2011, 07:20 AM

377 posts, read 670,271 times
Yes, I'm coming for the vegetarian festival on April 3.

Well, you guys kind of convinced me that I might rather leave the car in NJ and take the train in. The tunnel stuff is freaking me out!
Can you tell me what trains and what station that is? I looked on the Amtrak website but I can't figure out which station that would be.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:05 PM

518 posts, read 825,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegEm View Post
Yes, I'm coming for the vegetarian festival on April 3.

Well, you guys kind of convinced me that I might rather leave the car in NJ and take the train in. The tunnel stuff is freaking me out!
Can you tell me what trains and what station that is? I looked on the Amtrak website but I can't figure out which station that would be.
If you are driving as far as Jersey, forget Amtrak and take a PATH train from Jersey City or Hoboken.
PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City