Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 PM

112 posts, read 352,666 times

Advertisements

SO you go to work everyday, make small talk with your colleagues, who mostly complain about work related stuff. Then you go home and say hi, how are you to the various neighbors who live in your building, who mostly can't wait to get in their apartment. Finally you make your way inside your own "home" and continue to have dinner, watch TV, surf the net, walk the dog, listen to the wife/husband, before going to bed only to wake up the next day and repeat everything.

You're not originally from NYC, so all the buddies you had back in school/college are a million miles away. You realize you have been living here for ___ years, and have no real friends, just a bunch of acquaintances whose phone numbers you've never even exchanged.

What do you do to make friends? How does one break the cycle of loneliness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 12,070 times
Talking living in NYC

Honestly, as a nyc longtime resident I almost wanna say move-out of nyc because people here suck and are always in a rush to go nowhere. When I lived in FL, TX and TN you could make a friend a day in the local supermarket or even at a gas station if you made a med effort. People are too skeptical here and live in too much fear so it's hard unless you're into the bar scene or cafe scene.

Your best bet here is to start numerous online accts with sites like Myspace, Facebook and definitely myYearbook.com. Now you have to be careful of all the scammers out there but their fake profiles can be seen a mile away by a keen eye. myYearbook.com has all these cool games you can play with total strangers and I gotta say you can easily make 20 friends in a day and out of those make 1-2 real friends you can chat with daily. You will also be given a choice of how far you wanna search for people from your location and just pick something like 20 miles, so that when you make those friends you can actually hang out in the city and stuff. There is always church groups I imagine as well that you could join here. Best of luck!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Try places of intrest like your favorite trendy hangout. I made a few friends to hangout with by working out at a near by gym club. Find people with simulat taste as yours. Its not hard and also its not easy.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Making friends? Similar interests are the key. Look at what you like to do in your spare time and then look for places to do it and you'll make friends with those people. If you like riding bikes join a cycling group. Reading books? Join a book club. Thinking deep thoughts? Audit a college course. Social activism? Volunteer with a group whose goals you want to advance. Pray? Join a young adults group at a church. And so on. The more you put yourself out there, they more likley it is that you'll find your peeps.

Nobody is gonna discover what a great person you are if you just come home from work and flip on the TV or go on Facebook with the guys you knew ten years ago.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
Agree, you need to find like-minded folks. For example, one woman and I were always together in the back of the pack of a Central Park training class and we've been friends ever since. I belong to a neighborhood writing group and have made friends there.

The hardest part is letting people know that you would like to hang out outside of whatever group you meet in. You have to risk the rejection.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Yes, finding similar interests is key. I've actually found two of my dearest friends from work and one from college, (went as an adult). Take a class in something that interests you. Once you start chatting with a person or two, you can open with a "have you ever been to the such-and-such museum' or things like that. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 PM

349 posts, read 781,665 times
Agree with similar interests. I've been here a little over a year and have made a few friends who I hang out with outside of work.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:25 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
You couldtake some classes. You could join an informal club, like a book club. You could sign up for some Meetup groups. You could volunteer. And you could give a dinner party with both of you inviting some work colleagues.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM

99 posts, read 349,954 times
I agree with Cida; join Meetup.com. You put in your city and then search for groups according to your interests. I am a nanny and have met many friends through a NYC nanny group. They have meet ups for literally everything. The first few times may be awkward but you soon get to know people. I also met one girl on this website who was moving from London like me, by answering some of her questions. We met up, she introduced me to some people she knew and worked with, and now we are a big group of friends who get together often.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:31 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
New York is full of ambitious people who tend to self-select (segregate?) based on things like interests and education. I think it’s because the city is not as family-based as elsewhere. People in the suburbs can always talk about their kids (a common denominator regardless of background). New Yorkers, even if they have kids, don’t do that as much.

As others have said, it’s useful to join a group, club or organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: