Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,068,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Again, blacks are the most likely victims of crime and whites less likely. I imagine that only Asians are less likely than Whites.

So, why do whites have such an exaggerated fear of crime?

All the" Is it Safe" threads are almost always from a white. It's all so irrational.

In addition to all the guys who love to quote neighborhood crime stats, yet have absolutely no real world experience of those same neighborhoods. They have NO idea how the statistics translate into reality.

Its all so irrational.

Proof against the stats is in the reality of all the white Transplants who have moved into some of the statistically worst and poorly perceived neighborhoods with minimum effect to life or limb. Certainly little occurences to lend credence to the fear and/or prejudice that the statistics and perceptions generate.
You did not mention the fact that most black crime victims are victims of other blacks.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 PM

749 posts, read 2,456,455 times
I'm asian and have walked through majority black, white and hispanic neighborhoods and people could care less. They probably just thought I was delivering Chinese food or something because of my nonchalant attitude. Also, no one is threatened by asians because of their perception of us so everyone pretty much just leaves us alone.

I agree it's not entirely a race thing, but how you're socialized and how you perceive threat. For example, I know many white people that can go to the hood, carry themselves like they belong and get around fine and without fear. White people that grew up in urban areas, listen to hip hop and have minority friends are like that - they don't hold the same misconceptions and fears that white people from the burbs that only grew up around white people have. Cops are another example, a lot of them are used to working in urban environments and have that confident aura even if they're in a predominantly black neighborhood for example.

It's more about your experiences and how you perceive others than your race. If it's genuine, others will pick up on that and will tend to leave you alone if they sense that you're used to being in their territory or really, truly just don't care and are confident walking around anywhere. As long as they don't perceive you as some kind of threat or pushover.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:33 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,570,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobermanBoston View Post
It's more a "non-city person" thing than a "white" thing. Most people of any race who grew up in a city, or even spent any kind of time in one, know that crime prevention is 95% about the potential victim.

Sure, there are some neighborhoods that are just horrid but even there I'd say someone who keeps
his/her cool in a "bad" neighborhood will fare better than some fool who gets blind drunk, looks lost, counts their money, etc in a "good" one.

When I worked at Harvard, which is in one of the wealthiest urban neighborhoods in the US, students would get mugged right off campus or even ON campus about a dozen times a week because they did stupid stuff like this.
It IS about race, not just being unfamiliar with city living. Hey- you're a Harvard person, so you may know about the Rawlsian 'Veil of Ignorance'. If you are born and bred into a life of privilege and have never known what it is like to be a minority or socially oppressed, you cannot see things for what they really are. Have you ever had black men three times your size talk down to you on the street and sexually degrade you? Probably not.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 AM

13 posts, read 11,249 times
Another blame whitey thread. Why is it when a white person is concerned with their safety we get called racist?

It's not our fault that blacks commit a large number of crimes in the US. If a white women is seen in a black ghetto wasteland - the woman may get sexually harassed and threatened. If a black woman goes through a majority white suburb no one bats an eye. I know this because it has happened to me, a white woman.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,062,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *SunsetSkies* View Post
Another blame whitey thread. Why is it when a white person is concerned with their safety we get called racist?

It's not our fault that blacks commit a large number of crimes in the US. If a white women is seen in a black ghetto wasteland - the woman may get sexually harassed and threatened. If a black woman goes through a majority white suburb no one bats an eye. I know this because it has happened to me, a white woman.
The white guys will bat an eye on that black booty.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 AM

810 posts, read 837,964 times
There are trashy neighbors composed of almost any race including whites, where "outsiders" have to watch for their safety. The main point is that those belonging to black populations are almost always concentrated in major cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
I'm asian and have walked through majority black, white and hispanic neighborhoods and people could care less. They probably just thought I was delivering Chinese food or something because of my nonchalant attitude. Also, no one is threatened by asians because of their perception of us so everyone pretty much just leaves us alone.
You do know there is a hugely disproportionate amount of black on Asian crime compared to Asian on black crime nationwide?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,240,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *SunsetSkies* View Post
didn't you get the memo? all white people are racisit!!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,818,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
lol

To the bolded.......stats?

lolwut.....stats?

stats?

Do your own homework.

Obviously you believe the opposite, correct?

Stats please. Make an argument. Support your position.

Or are we simply to believe perception?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,220,643 times
I'm not the one who made a thread and is making claims. It doesn't matter what I think. I am not making an argument. I am simply calling you out on your "facts". So you, my dude, do your homework before making a thread like this and maybe put that info in the OP.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,240,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Don't take your personally events and try to generalize them.
dont take racial oppression from the days of slavery and try to act like things are the same today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: