Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:01 PM

8 posts, read 29,758 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 Years Old i'm from Dayton, Ohio but i consider myself a "big city" boy and I plan on going to college out of state, I have a friend that lived in NYC and he loved it the only reason he moved back to Ohio was to take care of his ill parent, I was just looking for some info on how to reasonably become stable in such a big environment, I plan on going to Hostos Community College and thats in the Bronx and I was wondering where is a good place to look for maybe someone renting a room or a small apartment and what are job opportunities like in that area, I did some research but I'd really love to get some input from true new yorkers or maybe out of towners that also relocated, I plan to atleast spend the next 4-5 years of my life in the city if not longer due to me going to a 2 year college and making the transition to a 4 year later, Where should i begin and what steps should I take to make the proper transition from medium city to large city and whats some of the pro's and con's.

Thank You in advance for any tips, advice and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 08:34 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewBoy View Post
I'm 19 Years Old i'm from Dayton, Ohio but i consider myself a "big city" boy and I plan on going to college out of state, I have a friend that lived in NYC and he loved it the only reason he moved back to Ohio was to take care of his ill parent, I was just looking for some info on how to reasonably become stable in such a big environment, I plan on going to Hostos Community College and thats in the Bronx and I was wondering where is a good place to look for maybe someone renting a room or a small apartment and what are job opportunities like in that area, I did some research but I'd really love to get some input from true new yorkers or maybe out of towners that also relocated, I plan to atleast spend the next 4-5 years of my life in the city if not longer due to me going to a 2 year college and making the transition to a 4 year later, Where should i begin and what steps should I take to make the proper transition from medium city to large city and whats some of the pro's and con's.

Thank You in advance for any tips, advice and opinions.
First of all you do know Hostos is a pretty ****ty school right? The academics, and even worse the school's system will drag you down. Being it's a college very little violence inside, although the area sucks. Inner city CUNY's in poor areas do what they have to in order to keep you and have you pay more.

Second of all you don't want to live anywhere near that neighborhood. The immidiate area around Hostos is not THAT bad. However there are 3 highschools within one block that are always waring. One is inside Hostos although it's the better of the 3. Area is also hot to robberies, since there is a subway line and a lot of potential victims. There is also a serious drug spot about a 2 blocks away.

Might want to try a better school.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:55 PM

8 posts, read 29,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
First of all you do know Hostos is a pretty ****ty school right? The academics, and even worse the school's system will drag you down. Being it's a college very little violence inside, although the area sucks. Inner city CUNY's in poor areas do what they have to in order to keep you and have you pay more.

Second of all you don't want to live anywhere near that neighborhood. The immidiate area around Hostos is not THAT bad. However there are 3 highschools within one block that are always waring. One is inside Hostos although it's the better of the 3. Area is also hot to robberies, since there is a subway line and a lot of potential victims. There is also a serious drug spot about a 2 blocks away.

Might want to try a better school.
What about LaGuardia CC? And what surrounding areas I don't want to live in an heavy poverty ridden area, I've been to the Bronx I use to stay with a friend on Crotona Ave, I've been accepted to Hostos and LaGuardia but I am less familiar with Queens/Long Island City, What else would you suggest?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:09 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewBoy View Post
What about LaGuardia CC? And what surrounding areas I don't want to live in an heavy poverty ridden area, I've been to the Bronx I use to stay with a friend on Crotona Ave, I've been accepted to Hostos and LaGuardia but I am less familiar with Queens/Long Island City, What else would you suggest?
Are your academics poor? Why do you limit yourself to community colleges? And CUNY community colleges at that! Atleast go for an all around good CUNY like Hunter, Baruch, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, City College, John Jay, Sophie Davis, or the Law School. Each school has its advantages and drawbacks, depending on your major

Old 07-27-2007, 11:10 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
LaGuardia is better, ranked as one of the best community colleges in the US. Just a train stop away from Manhattan also.

And at 19 trying to find an apartment in NYC? Better quadruple-up with somebody or start pushing. Most of the buildings being built are full of young urban professionals.

The LIC area is a bunch factories and 3/4 story stement buildings. The most notable landmarks arethe huge Citicorp building and Queensbridge North/South housing projects. The projects are not in the direct vicinity of the school. It's located at the northern side of the Queensboro bridge and the school is southeastish and distant from there.

The transfer rate to a 4+ year school is high w/ LaGuardia. I strongly suggest it.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
Are your academics poor?
Stop the bull****. Who said community colleges are only for those w/ poor academics?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:29 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
LaGuardia is the better school I agree.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:30 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Stop the bull****. Who said community colleges are only for those w/ poor academics?
I'm suggesting he aim higher, in case he didn't know about the other CUNY schools that are available.
I'm in community college right now! You cant tell me nothing.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:44 PM

What you wrote got me under the impression that that's what you meant.

Maybe he's using it for economical reasons. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than CUNY's senior colleges.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:18 AM
M|L

20 posts, read 152,177 times
I must agree that there are much better schools within the city and in much better neighborhoods.

What's your major? There are CUNY schools that are relatively inexpensive for undergraduate studies and each suites a particular major which you are pursuing.

there are housing accomodations you can look into for students (which you can also get through your college as well), or there are plenty of people looking to share just like you. if your finances aren't very solid, I would highly suggest the boroughs of Queens or Brooklyn. Like previously mentioned, Long Island City in Queens is a great starting area. Williamsburgh, Brooklyn Heights, and DUMBO are all good areas within Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City