Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,847 times

Advertisements

I subleted a room in my apartment with a verbal agreement for one year lease. I provided a temporary receipt with the understanding the I was to receive that receipt back the the tenant get the new origingal reciept but I am in position of the receipt. Now 3 mths later and with only 5 days notice after asking of the temp receipt the tenant wants to move and does not want to stand the consequence of losing all the security deposit or the offer I made for the refund of my advertising cost. What can I do and what legal recourse do I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 12:57 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Your post is incomprehensible.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:27 PM

979 posts, read 4,457,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Your post is incomprehensible.
I concur.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:57 PM

215 posts, read 661,418 times
The original position of the receipt, to wit, corpus delicti, should be provided, obiter dictum, with recourse to the advertising costs, in light of the the one year bona fide obligation thereof by the guilty party (henceforth amicus curiae). This information is not intended to constitute legal advice.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
The original position of the receipt, to wit, corpus delicti, should be provided, obiter dictum, with recourse to the advertising costs, in light of the the one year bona fide obligation thereof by the guilty party (henceforth amicus curiae). This information is not intended to constitute legal advice.
for entertainment porpoises only?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Reading it again, I think I got it.

Ok, the leaseholder rented out one of the rooms in the apt. Apparently, there ws a verbal/agreement and no written lease. The oral agreement was for term of one year. The subtenant it would seem provided seurity. The tenant-landlord provided what he deems a "temporary receipt" for either the first month's rent and security or perhps just the security.

In any event, the tenant-landlord now, it appears, has a 'permanent' or formal reciept, which according to the post, he was to exchange for the temporary receipt. But upon requesting the exchange after 3 months of tenancy, the subtenant informed the tenant-landlord that he/she, the subtennt, will be moving out with 5 days notice.

The subtenant is demanding the return of the security deposit. The tenant-landlord first refused, then counter-offered for the cost of advertising. Apparently, the subtenant has refused the offer, and continues to demand the full security amount be returned.

The tenant-landlord wants to know what he can do; what is his legal recourse.

I think I've done my unpaid legal duty. Modsquad, you're up!

Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 PM

Sorry JC, I'm half way through a 6 pack. I can't even imagine what a formal receipt is. I'd suggest the OP get a strong rope and lock himself in a closet.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I have no idea why people do verbal agreements. Seriously, you can GOOGLE subtenant lease. We used the first link or my sublease.

Let me google that for you (http://tinyurl.com/3kl6u55 - broken link)

Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Verbal agreements are as binding as written agreements, in most instances. The problem occurs when there is a dispute as to the terms. In which case there is nothing memoralized which actually states the terms. With a verbal, people's memory fades as to the specifics; sometimes people interpret what was said and agreed differently; sometimes people just lie. All of that is why a written agreement is best.

In the Op's case, as I interpret it, the law requires a written lease in order that the subtenant be held to the one year term. Without a written lease the tenancy is month to month. In which case the subtenant has a right to leave with 30 days notice. 5 days is not enough! Consequently, the subtenant owes the tenant-landlord one month's rent.

Security is NOT rent; but often security, equal to the amount owed, is forfeited in satisfaction of rent owed. The remainder of the security amount, if any, s/b returned.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
when your owed rent and have to go to court try proving what the rent was with no written lease. it can be tough sometimes especially if paid in cash. you both need to swap signed rent receipts. you sign one for them and they sign one for you.

interesting enough the security deposit only covers damage to the apartment. technically you cant take it for non payment of rent. you have to sue for the non payment of rent. tenants usually allow you to take it for non payment of rent so its not an issue most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City