Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 AM

518 posts, read 1,579,593 times

Advertisements

I have been in the market to purchase a large-ish (24"x36") map of the Bronx - I cant seem to find anything but the pocket sized Streetwise brand foldable maps (which are great - but not suitable for framing) Anyone know where I can pick up something like this? I'd like to frame it, so I am looking for something in color and current - I can only find old (from early 1900's) maps - any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Youre big fan of the Bronx if you wanna frame it and put it on the wall.
But anyways if your moving here, be safe and enjoy the borough. I'm assuming you are not moving in to the South Bronx? Am I right? Melrose is starting to be the "flagship" of the South Bronx. But it has it's bad parts still(project areas) as I always say: Some things never change... Drugs, drugs and drugs. That's sadly the name of the game in so many inner-city areas across this country.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Lemmie look that up

Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
as much as i love that link - I did do a lot of searching - made this post, AND THEN I find a link to a pretty good map shop online - I've always loved maps, old and new, and always have one of where I live. I am gladly taking my Queens map down and putting up a brand new Bronx map - so I can explore ALL of the area I live in.

@Whitlock - Yes moving to the BX - Not So. Bx - Central BX - had a lot of help from CD people finding this space - but going there was the clincher - wonderful jewel of a neighborhood.

http://www.mapsales.com/zip-code-wal...x?flag=leftnav

Last edited by Vic Future; 05-12-2011 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 03:13 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
And what area of the Central Bronx are you moving to?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
these are a bit pricey, but you can buy maps from the transit musueum

Maps | TransitMuseumStore.com

OR if you have an android phone..there's a certain app where you can get these maps, save them and do a custom print yourself.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
these are a bit pricey, but you can buy maps from the transit musueum

Maps | TransitMuseumStore.com

OR if you have an android phone..there's a certain app where you can get these maps, save them and do a custom print yourself.
yeah i know. i was in contact with a customer serice rep - they have good CS but are SUUUUPER expensive. Im going to find an atlas and make an enlargement
also saw this
[SIZE=3][SIZE=5]This is a very large folio size (23" by 17½") two volume Atlas of the Borough of the Bronx, City of New York published by G. W. Bromley & Co. of New York. One volume contains all of the Bronx south of 172 street and was published in 1942 while the other volume containing all of the Bronx north of 172 street is dated 1938. I assume that despite the differing dates they were intended to be paired. They feature fabric leaves with coarse fabric back and smooth printed fronts hinged with heavy fabric hinges. Each leaf is a hand colored map depicting every building and major feature in the area covered. Over time, the publisher furnished pieces of each map to be glued over portions of the map to update it to include changes made to the Borough. The agency that owned the maps glued them in as received so the maps remained current. There are hundreds of maps ranging from 80' to the inch to 160' to the inch. I did some research and found some old atlases of the Bronx but could find NONE of this version for sale anywhere on the web, though I did find some references to this atlas in books in the Google database. sorry for the [/SIZE][/SIZE]big text dont know how to drop the case -

Last edited by Vic Future; 05-12-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
yeah i know. i was in contact with a customer serice rep - they have good CS but are SUUUUPER expensive. Im going to find an atlas and make an enlargement
also saw this
[SIZE=3][SIZE=5]This is a very large folio size (23" by 17½") two volume Atlas of the Borough of the Bronx, City of New York published by G. W. Bromley & Co. of New York. One volume contains all of the Bronx south of 172 street and was published in 1942 while the other volume containing all of the Bronx north of 172 street is dated 1938. I assume that despite the differing dates they were intended to be paired. They feature fabric leaves with coarse fabric back and smooth printed fronts hinged with heavy fabric hinges. Each leaf is a hand colored map depicting every building and major feature in the area covered. Over time, the publisher furnished pieces of each map to be glued over portions of the map to update it to include changes made to the Borough. The agency that owned the maps glued them in as received so the maps remained current. There are hundreds of maps ranging from 80' to the inch to 160' to the inch. I did some research and found some old atlases of the Bronx but could find NONE of this version for sale anywhere on the web, though I did find some references to this atlas in books in the Google database. sorry for the [/SIZE][/SIZE]big text dont know how to drop the case -
Big text, it's annyoing but you are forgiven.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:30 AM

that atlas btw is going for $1500. or best offer - i wonder if he'd take $100 bucks....

Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post

that atlas btw is going for $1500. or best offer - i wonder if he'd take $100 bucks....
NO way, but fried chicken for the whole family, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: