Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,655 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my husband and infant to NYC for his new job. We would very much prefer to buy an apt downtown rather than rent (we are very sick of moving), but we are concerned it could never happen in the 3 months we have before we have to be there. The idea of temporary housing/storage/ etc while waiting to close on an apt seems daunting with an infant. At this point, all we have done is look online and are planning to visit soon to start our search in person.

Should we abandon the idea and rent for a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 01:29 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,953 times
Rent first buy later.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Money talks. If you have the cash you can buy anything you want. However, it depends on if it’s a co-op or a condo. If it’s a co-op you have to be approved by the board and that can take a while. Also, many banks won’t lend for a co-op (because it’s technically not “real property” but shares in a business); you’ll probably have to go through a local bank that is familiar with co-ops.

The larger question is: Is it wise to buy quickly? Especially if you don’t know the city very well. You may find that you don’t like the Financial District and would rather be in Park Slope, etc.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:46 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Yes but not easy and probably near impossible if it requires board approval (for coop).

More importantly like others have asked. Should you be buying in 3 months or take more time by renting to get to know and then buy. Personally I think working with fixed and short time limit is not a good approach to buy a place but everyone's circumstance and situation are different.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:12 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
It also depends on where you live now. Are you within a distance from NYC already where you could make several trips and speak with realtors and check out neighborhoods? That would make a huge difference as well.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:39 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
I would definitely rent first. You might get here and like another area and then you'd be stuck in a home you rushed into. Also it's definitely a buyers market now so there is no need to rush. You also want to make sure that the city is right for you. Alot of people move nearby to the suburbs based on family needs.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:42 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
It can happen in 3 mos if you find a place and finalize a deal in the next couple of weeks.It will take 6 to 8 weeks to close unless you can pay cash and don't have to deal with a bank.

Whether you should buy immediately depends on how well you know NYC and whether you are sure of what neighborhood you want to buy in and whether you think prices and interest rates might rise if you don't buy for a year or two.

It's a tough call.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I would rent first unless you are REALLY familiar with the city and know exactly what neighborhood/ blocks you want to search in. With a child, you'll also want to take into account what pre-schools & grade schools you intend to use - if public, your options for neighborhoods are even smaller. If private, you'll want proximity to many choices as admissions are tough to secure and you probably don't want to take a toddler on a $30 cab ride 2x daily to get to nursery school.

It's worth it to move twice and go through the hassle of moving, renting, moving, buying to not make a $500k or a $1M or a $5M mistake on NYC real estate.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times
Pay cash and buy in a new development that has been completed.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,557 times
Speaking with my real estate experience, it takes about 2-4 months for a closing in the city (I have even seen 6 months). If time is of the essence, do not get a co-op, unless they do not require board approval. As well, make sure you get pre-approved for your mortgage, have your down payment ready, a closing attorney and home owner inspector all picked out and get ready to pound the pavement with a realtor the second you get there.

As for the closing in 6-8 as the post stated above me, that is not the norm. No one in my office has every had a closing that quickly in the city. But who knows, maybe you will get lucky if you go in all cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City