Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 12,904 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask a question of any recent or present advanced students of the Art Students League or other ateliers in the NYC region...a studio painting question.

In addition to learning color, composition, values, etc., do you feel you are getting adequate instruction on technique, such as proper paint application to create intended effects, or even glazing and varnishing techniques?

I tried an open atelier in Chicago, but was not enthusiastic about their devotion to Richard Schmid (sorry Richard, but you're not my cup of tea). I'd also prefer a school that will not only be able to teach me proper techniques but not stifle my attempt to work in my own style.

So...will I get what I'm looking for by attending the Art Students League or another similar atelier in NYC? Do they have more to offer than state universities or mediocre ateliers when it comes to perfecting technique?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 10:35 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,756 times
I studied at the league for a good 5-6 years, it was some of the BEST art instruction that i've had in my life. Not only did I have teachers who were technically proficient, they always left me with something to think about from my work. I studied in a fine arts program at a local university, and my instruction at the league was much more fulfilling (and I learned more as well) than my studio classes that counted towards my degree. I would not be the artist I am today without what the league had instilled in me.

If there's one thing the league taught me more than anything, it was to believe in myself as an artist.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 12,904 times
Thanks for the reply, Wordlife.

I don't doubt that the Art Students League is one of the best schools out there. I'm just hoping that the instructors can give me more specific instruction about what I want to know.
Instruction on what kinds of effects can I achieve with certain types of brushes (rounds, filberts, flats, fans, etc.), in addition to just daubing the paint on the canvas.

I've had a few years instruction on studio art from a mentor who has since passed away, and haven't had the kind of money it takes to attend an atelier for a sufficient length of time.
I'm hoping that I'd be able to get a semester or two in at the League to get the instruction I really need until my economic situation improves. Then I could come back for a longer period of time.

To give an example, I'm very impressed with the kind of work that Michael De Brito and Felipe Alonso are doing, as well as Ben Aronson's mild abstractions in his cityscapes. So much skill with the brushwork, these three.
Everyone also lists Sargent as their hero, but I much prefer the works of Glackens, Kroll, and Arthur Wesley Dow, due to their bold and expert use of color in addition to brushwork.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,756 times
Oh you will have instructors who are very specific, and they will also be able to help you develop your skills. When I had attended the league I was still in high school and my first few years of college. I couldn't afford/attend full time classes due to my school schedule but two nights a week after school I'd lug my portfolio to 57th street to attend a part time class. I absolutely hated dragging my drawing portfolio around but in the end the dedication paid off big time, esp in developing technical skill.

I see that your interested in building your technical skill, and the league will really help you out. Why not visit the school and pick up a brochure to see who the current instructors are. You can always switch instructors after a month (classes/tuition is based on a month to month basis), this way you can get a feel for whose instruction suits you best.

here's the website
The Art Students League of New York | 215 West 57 Street | New York City

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City