Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:53 AM

744 posts, read 1,851,975 times

Advertisements

I also checked out Tokyo, another city around the size of NYC. Tokyo is even cleaner and prettier than London. Sorry, but I toured almost all of NYC, going down street after street, and it all looks pretty grimey and worn out. I have also seen a lot of pictures of NYC too, and it shows me the same. The subways look like old convenience store restrooms with tracks running through it.

Really no excuse for America's largest city to be that filthy.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:06 AM

61 posts, read 228,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
I also checked out Tokyo, another city around the size of NYC. Tokyo is even cleaner and prettier than London. Sorry, but I toured almost all of NYC, going down street after street, and it all looks pretty grimey and worn out. I have also seen a lot of pictures of NYC too, and it shows me the same. The subways look like old convenience store restrooms with tracks running through it.

Really no excuse for America's largest city to be that filthy.

Might help for you to know when those pics update...I use Google Maps quite a bit and can tell you much of what I see hasn't updated in years.

You really think Tokyo looks like it does in the pics on Google today?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:28 AM

58 posts, read 117,850 times
Good grief...

New york is twice as dense as London and nearly twice that of Tokyo. You really think the city is going to look spotless all the time? Also, it's much cleaner now than it used to be and I am hardly ever bothered by trash anymore. It's certainly better than other cities I've been in

What's with the stupid influx of slanderous threads lately? Has there always been this much complainers here? Similar to what you said... Sorry, but no one here is going to miss you if you don't ever come... Especially based on some pics you saw on google earth. New York has a vast array of things to offer... More than you can probably ever see in a lifetime. But if you want to be superficial and base your whole opinion of this place on a website then go ahead... you're going to the one missing out

Old 05-30-2011, 02:49 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,901,594 times
Google Streetview and Maps updated last year in most of the Northeast. All the Major Cities got New HD shots in most of the city , the rest of the Region will be HD'd by 2013. Tokyo was redone last year....but don't judge a city by the Internet you have to visit it....sure this region / NYC has some bad spots but its safe to say every city does.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:37 AM

14 posts, read 32,728 times
Good to know that google view will shape your opinions and not personal experience. NYC is an incredible place.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,951 times
reminds me of my German friend visiting me over Christmas in London and he kept bitching that London is so filthy and dirty till at last I couldn't stand a broken record being rewinded and replayed again and again I told him:" so what? that doesn't change the clueless and helpless bordom there in Germany..you don't know I am working here in London just becos it's furious and filthy?" Does this help as some caption of your armchair google research?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:26 AM

979 posts, read 4,464,224 times
New York doesn't have alleys to put the garbage in. It goes right out front.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:02 AM

61 posts, read 228,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Google Streetview and Maps updated last year in most of the Northeast. All the Major Cities got New HD shots in most of the city , the rest of the Region will be HD'd by 2013. Tokyo was redone last year....but don't judge a city by the Internet you have to visit it....sure this region / NYC has some bad spots but its safe to say every city does.

Have you seen Tokyo lately?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:16 AM

499 posts, read 795,908 times
The city does need to do a better job paving streets, handling litter (well people need to stop being such animals), and building owners need to do a better job maintaining their facades

However, judging a city from google street view is ridiculous and unless you've spent dozens of hours on this thing, it's impossible to get a full grasp of any large city. Especially NY where there are so many different types of neighborhoods, and streets go from picturesque to ghetto in the span of a few blocks.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 AM

744 posts, read 1,851,975 times
Google maps allows you to go down the streets like you are actually walking or driving down them. They have been recently updated as a user said too. I have also had people who have visited the NYC tell me it is a very dirty town. In contrast, the people who have also visited London and Tokyo have great things to say about it. They say their subways are also very clean(especially Tokyo's). I have seen most of the pics of the NYC subway stations and they look like a dirty restroom at some hole in the wall joint. Even their above ground subways look rotten and dirty. Also NYC has a large population of illegal aliens, which also add a great deal to the filth.

Also the buildings and subways in NYC look very worn out, old, and not taken care of. London does a very good job or preserving their old buildings. Same with Tokyo and Paris and many other European and Asian cities.

Last edited by brajohns81; 05-30-2011 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City